Open Victoria

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

I'm excited to see this group formed, but I think they have a long way to go to gain ground on the NDP clan we have in place now.

http://openvictoria.com/

I mean no disrespect to the group assembled, I am sure they are all good people, but they aren't household names. I'm not sure how they plan to command a large part of the vote.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

I'm excited to see this group formed, but I think they have a long way to go to gain ground on the NDP clan we have in place now.

http://openvictoria.com/

I mean no disrespect to the group assembled, I am sure they are all good people, but they aren't household names. I'm not sure how they plan to command a large part of the vote.

You can make that same comment about anyone running for council who is not the incumbant. At least having a slate gives them some mutual recognition.

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

The campaign period is when they either become known to the public or do not. There is enough time for each one of them to meet 15-20,000 Victoria voters in person.

There are only a handful of people in this city that have enough name recognition before being on council to get elected - David Foster, Russ Courtnall, Jody Patterson, Gary Lunn, Ross Crockford, and Rob Reid are the only names that come to mind.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

The campaign period is when they either become known to the public or do not. There is enough time for each one of them to meet 15-20,000 Victoria voters in person.

There are only a handful of people in this city that have enough name recognition before being on council to get elected - David Foster, Russ Courtnall, Jody Patterson, Gary Lunn, Ross Crockford, and Rob Reid are the only names that come to mind.

Matt MacNeil, David Black, Ron Butlin, Mel Bolen, James McKenzie.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

Matt MacNeil, David Black, Ron Butlin, Mel Bolen, James McKenzie.

I am not convinced any of them are well enough know by the population to get them elected. I have no idea who the last three are, I assume Mel Bolen is connected to the bookstore.

There are many people that are known by 1000 to 2000 people in town, but very few are known by most people. People routinely overestimate how well someone is known in this city.

Though I should have added earlier various talk show hosts on CFAX should be able to win on their name recognition.

Back the main point, very few people in this city are well known and more less everyone running for council is an unknown.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Ron Butlin, Mel Bolen, James McKenzie.

Can't say I know who these three gentlemen are.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Can't say I know who these three gentlemen are.

Butlin is former WHL commissioner and he organizes the Vic Day parade, Bolen is a woman and owns Bolen Books, and MCKenzie owns Monk Office.

#8 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Good luck to this new initiative as I believe its needed, but an interesting twist here on "recognition" indeed: if you don't know who Ron Butlin is then you haven't been around Victoria very long. He was first and foremost an extremely successful businessman in Victoria for decades. Among other things I believe he was also the chief organizer of the Island Farms Victoria Day Parade and the Island Farms Santa Light Parades.

He ran an immensely successful management consulting firm before that and was director of Team Canada for the 1972 Canada-Russia hockey series. He has also organized and literally ran singlehandedly the B.C. Summer and Winter Games for well over 20 years.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

if you don't know who Ron Butlin is then you haven't been around Victoria very long.

I've lived here for 23 years and could not associate those three names with a face, organization, anything. Just goes to show that regional name recognition is quite a feat.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

....either that or you don't attend parades or follow amateur sports in BC Mike :D

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

I lived here from 1983 to 1990 and now since 2004. I have no idea who he is

#12 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

Regardless, kudos to whoever put O-V together; I think its long past time to bust the mold down at City Hall and put forth viable candidates who aren't for the most part pseudo-NDP apologists, allies or cast-offs, and who can hopefully come to grips with some of the very real problems facing this city (and no I don't consider beautifying Pandora Avenue an issue of real significance).....

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Regardless, kudos to whoever put O-V together; I think its long past time to bust the mold down at City Hall and put forth viable candidates who aren't for the most part pseudo-NDP apologists, allies or cast-offs, and who can hopefully come to grips with some of the very real problems facing this city (and no I don't consider beautifying Pandora Avenue an issue of real significance).....

Agreed.

Know it all.

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

For all on the forum, I am heavily involved with Open Victoria

#15 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

^ I think this is great that you guys are offering a viable alternative. I don't always agree with you (or Paul Brown), but at least I have some faith you are weighing evidence to come to rational decisions.

#16 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

For all on the forum, I am heavily involved with Open Victoria

Then maybe you can tell me how this political party is not really a party and thus not subject to section 79 of the Local Government Act. How exactly is a "slate" different than a party?

#17 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Then maybe you can tell me how this political party is not really a party and thus not subject to section 79 of the Local Government Act. How exactly is a "slate" different than a party?

Legally it is an electoral organization, philosophically it is different that a political party because it is a set of principles to guide people and not an ideological positioning.

#18 aaroninvictoria

aaroninvictoria
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

Great discussion here! The issues Open Victoria is currently working on are posted here: http://openvictoria.ca/issues/ These are management issues... not political issues. Our goal is provide confident and open action on our municipal issues, with real time and ongoing accountablilty. (not just at election time)

#19 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria aaroninvictoria.

#20 aaroninvictoria

aaroninvictoria
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

Thanks Sparky, Seems like a good place to hang out ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users