- - - - -

Open Victoria

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

Yes, there needs to be a "Civic League" type of organization.
It will need to assign someone to go to every city council meeting to take notes, for example, on how the Councillors voted. This can then be entered in to an on line matrix so that the public can get an idea of how they vote. Right now, even if you go to the Council minutes on line, this information is not recorded.
Pieta VanDyke

#42 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Yes, there needs to be a "Civic League" type of organization.
It will need to assign someone to go to every city council meeting to take notes, for example, on how the Councillors voted. This can then be entered in to an on line matrix so that the public can get an idea of how they vote. Right now, even if you go to the Council minutes on line, this information is not recorded.

We are working on getting that in place

#43 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

So has the book closed on Open Victoria? I hope they return next election (sans McGrew) but if there's one thing i've learned from politicians, they can never give you a clear answer about the future of anything.
In chains by Keynes

#44 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

So has the book closed on Open Victoria? I hope they return next election (sans McGrew) but if there's one thing i've learned from politicians, they can never give you a clear answer about the future of anything.

I'm sure that this past election is not the last we've heard from Open Victoria. My personal vision for OV is that they transition into a proper civic political party - as much as it pains me to say that. It is sad that the answer to our dilemma in this city is to politicize civic politics; but the fact of the matter is that the NDP has been doing that for years, to the point that anyone affiliated under that banner barely needs to bother campaigning.

The advantage of a proper political party is that it can build up a membership and a dues structure that can help fund a war chest for future elections. It can also be a natural home to the Blue Liberal/Red Tory centre where a huge chuck of the votes are.

Otherwise, there seems to be little way to combat the organized union-funded and staffed campaigns that are being waged by the incumbants.

#45 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

I think OV needs to decide what it wants to be and either option would be useful but are incompatible.

Option 1: a civic-league style watchdog organization that educates and monitors in a non-partisan way.

Option 2: a municipal party that runs candidates.

I always got the impression that Option 1 was the ultimate goal but running candidates in the just finished election made me wonder.

Looking forward to hearing more about a general meeting and opening up the membership.

Otherwise, there seems to be little way to combat the organized union-funded and staffed campaigns that are being waged by the incumbants.

Did you miss the result of the election where three, yes THREE, incumbents were unseated? I am not sure we need a new municipal party even though I would likely be interested in the one you describe.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#46 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

Did you miss the result of the election where three, yes THREE, incumbents were unseated? I am not sure we need a new municipal party even though I would likely be interested in the one you describe.

Durrrrrrrrr, what election?!?! I said little way, not impossible, smart guy. And fully two of those new councillors were backed by the Victoria Labour Congress, so really you only have one councillor - Gudgeon - who did it solely based on grassroots campaigning.

#47 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

The current goal is to become a proper functioning civic watchdog. Will Open Victoria endorse candidates in 2014? I do not know. At this point the org does not have the track record for that to be relevant. It is also question of if ti is something that is a good idea or not.

In my ideal world, the current council would get rid of the 8 councilors at large and move to electing either 8 or 10 councilors by wards. It would take a simple by-law from council to do this.

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

In my ideal world, the current council would get rid of the 8 councilors at large and move to electing either 8 or 10 councilors by wards. It would take a simple by-law from council to do this.

Throw in term limits and I think you have the makings of much better civic electoral system.

#49 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Throw in term limits and I think you have the makings of much better civic electoral system.

Term limits can not be done. But if each councilor represented a smaller area, it would be much easier for challengers to campaign against. The incumbents would also lose all the extra votes they get when people are looking for eight names to mark on the ballot.

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

Term limits can not be done...

"Can not"? You mean it's actually physically impossble to make this happen? Are you suggesting the fabric of the uninverse would come undone if term limits were put in place? If it's a matter of legislation, well laws can be changed. "Can not" seems strangely final. Please elaborate.

#51 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Term limits can not be done. But if each councilor represented a smaller area, it would be much easier for challengers to campaign against. The incumbents would also lose all the extra votes they get when people are looking for eight names to mark on the ballot.

I agree, a ward system would be much better.

#52 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

"Can not"? You mean it's actually physically impossble to make this happen? Are you suggesting the fabric of the uninverse would come undone if term limits were put in place? If it's a matter of legislation, well laws can be changed. "Can not" seems strangely final. Please elaborate.

Pretty sure Bernard was speaking from a practical perspective. If you are aware of any practical way to amend the Community Charter, I'm sure that's something that everyone here would benefit from knowing. Otherwise, amending the Community Charter for something like term limits is likely non-starter.

#53 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

...two of those new councillors were backed by the Victoria Labour Congress, so really you only have one councillor - Gudgeon - who did it solely based on grassroots campaigning.

Well, you have a different perspective I guess. I saw an election that had not one, not two, but three incumbents defeated where none had been defeated for years. I saw two committed members of the "Dean Team" defeated by old-fashioned grassroots campaigning from Helps and Issit who door-knocked like crazy. (BTW Issit was the only candidate who ever came to my door.)

So they got an endorsement from the VLC? I do not believe it is the magic bullet it once was. Notice please that all three defeated incumbents were endorsed by the VLC as well.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#54 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

Term limits are not a power local governments could impose. Now could the BC government add that to the Local Government Act? I am almost 100% certain that it would not be constitutionally possible because that would restrict who could run for office.

#55 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

I believe Victoria is far too small for a ward system. Can you imagine Fairfield's Councillor battling Fernwood's Councillor over some city issue? If you think some of the neighbourhood associations foster little fiefdoms, you won't like what wards will do. Even Vancouver has resisted making that move.

#56 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

I believe Victoria is far too small for a ward system. Can you imagine Fairfield's Councillor battling Fernwood's Councillor over some city issue? If you think some of the neighbourhood associations foster little fiefdoms, you won't like what wards will do. Even Vancouver has resisted making that move.

Vancouver can not create wards, they are covered by a separate act.

One reason for wards is to get rid the electoral system we use for electing councilors, it is the worst possible system.

the other option would be to change our local election system to STV, but that is not allowed with the act as I read it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users