Photo

Vic High | Built in 1914 | Seismically remediated in 2024

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

So today they were driving some fest posts in at Vic high and hit the main power feed. The guy driving the post should have been dead but is fine.
The power room EXPLODED, blew the door off and shot a 30' flame out. All the equipment is trashed and the inside of the vault is a completely black and charred.
No one was hurt and they're investigating how everything went so long. Looks like the power line wasn't burried as deep as it was supposed to.

School is out today as the building has no power, and will be closed until they re-build the electrical room and main feed.

EDIT
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...igh-school.html
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

What a fest post and when did the explosion occur?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

Temporary 'snow fencing' near the tennis courts, and I believe it was some time this morning. They're just finishing up construction of the addition there.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

Ah, gotcha.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Ah it was actually yesterday afternoon. Both the electrical room and the curb-side transformer were complexity destroyed. In fact they continued to explode for an hour until BC hydro could come and turn off the power. Hydro has a new transformer up already today.

Electricity is scary.

PS
Added a news link to the OP

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

Electricity is scary.

I agree, I would not want to be an electrician or line-man.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

I spoke with the city engineer this morning as he was leaving the Cornerstone Cafe in Fernwood, a worker was driving a steel fence post into the ground and hit the electrical main in the ground. The power fed back

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Call before you dig!

Oh, and... pics or it didn't happen!

:P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,856 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:51 AM

About 60 per cent of the learning farm at Vic High was dismantled for the installation of a storm drain this month, but gardeners from the Mason Street City Farm say the school garden will be rebuilt once the upgrade project is finished.

Garden co-ordinator Jesse Brown said he and the Greater Victoria School District (SD61) — which is in the midst of $79.7-million expansion and upgrading project at the school — reached an agreement about the farm that allowed a portion to be kept functional for the remainder of the season.

“The outcome has turned out better than I had hoped,” Brown said. “But it was hard to see excavators turning over the soil there.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2022 - 05:51 AM.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:42 AM

I love the title of this thread, lol. I’m reading the post thinking my god, I bet it was fertilizer and just a fluke, then we learn the thread is old, article new.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:47 AM

Some threads should be left dormant.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:28 AM

It takes a lot to make Mike K. explode like that.

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 07:55 PM

Oh, I've seen him blow up lots of times.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 08:19 PM

This thread BLOWS.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 08:28 PM

^It's a blast and you know it.

...I've seen him blow up lots of times.

Sure, but you're constantly pushing his buttons and otherwise straining his fragile nerves to the breaking point. I'm much more respectful and considerate.

#16 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:11 PM

VW seems to be excelling at resurrecting old forum threads recently.

Maybe you could tell us your secret since the search function here is notoriously bad?

• Matt R. likes this

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:38 PM

What's the problem with the search? I use it constantly. But I always search "as posts". Most of the time I can find exactly what I'm looking for right away.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:42 PM

For example:

find words: punk

find author: aastra
display results: as posts

• Redd42 likes this

#19 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 09:10 AM

VW seems to be excelling at resurrecting old forum threads recently.

Maybe you could tell us your secret since the search function here is notoriously bad?

Let me google that for you: https://letmegooglet...ion at Vic High
  • Redd42 likes this

#20 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,856 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 04:41 AM

Students were welcomed back to the Fernwood neighbourhood Monday morning as Vic High School reopened after four years of renovations.

“I’ve never actually been to this school, it’s so nice,” Helena Ramos, a Vic High School student said.

Vic High has been undergoing renovations and upgrades since 2020, with students attending classes at S.J. Willis in the meantime.

https://www.cheknews...grades-1198540/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users