• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, I can't believe that this position pays $70k+ benefits.

http://www.victoria....cov_posting.pdf

All told, why does a city of under 80k need a gold plated civic engagement advisor that is remunerated in the 100k+ range? And let's be honest, Civic Engagement Advisor is just a fancy name for a PR person. As evidenced in the JSB debacle, the City has no interest in genuine engagement - they just want to be able to sell you bridges, a bloated management structure and how necessary property tax increases are.

No wonder I pay nearly $6k per year in property taxes. Phucking brigands.

#2 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

Well....this will be offset by increasing building permit fees, property taxes, etc. - this in turn will somehow allow for affordable housing?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

I thought that Planning Department fee increases were rolled back into Planning to pay for increased staffing there.

These staffing changes came out of the Cuff Report that was commissioned during the Lowe administration.

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, I can't believe that this position pays $70k+ benefits.

http://www.victoria....cov_posting.pdf

All told, why does a city of under 80k need a gold plated civic engagement advisor that is remunerated in the 100k+ range? And let's be honest, Civic Engagement Advisor is just a fancy name for a PR person. As evidenced in the JSB debacle, the City has no interest in genuine engagement - they just want to be able to sell you bridges, a bloated management structure and how necessary property tax increases are.

No wonder I pay nearly $6k per year in property taxes. Phucking brigands.

Well if that makes you mad then you will be happy to know that in all likelihood the position has already been filled by a friend of a friend and that the whole recruiting process is just to check a box on the compliance paperwork!

#5 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

Just a personal peeve, but I hate the all too frequently used term "stakeholder." Used 6 times in this ad.

Is Markson and that other person still under contract as the mouthpieces for the JSB project? Even though it was the Josephson woman on CFAX this morning touting the project!

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

Is Markson and that other person still under contract as the mouthpieces for the JSB project? Even though it was the Josephson woman on CFAX this morning touting the project!

Markson has been gone for a while.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

Thanks VHF. As usual, I am behind the times! :)

#8 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:21 PM

Just a personal peeve, but I hate the all too frequently used term "stakeholder." Used 6 times in this ad.

Every time a government worker says or writes "stakeholder" on the job, a puppy gets cancer.

The correct word to use is "citizen".
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#9 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

stakeholder means more than just citizens. it also refers to organizations. literally any person or group who has something at stake. often corporations and municipalities as well as citizens. there really isn't a better word to use.

#10 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:09 AM

Every time a government worker says or writes "stakeholder" on the job............

MarkCB, I know what it means.

Every time a government worker says or writes "stakeholder" on the job...........all I can think of is yet another MBA grad, soon to be followed by the words "concensus" and "paradigm".

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:15 AM

MarkCB is correct in fact stakeholder is rarely used to refer to the citizens of the province at least in the provincial government. Stakeholders are a collection of groups that are involved in a program or operation one of which may be the general public but more likely means a non-profit delivers service for a grant; another government agency or a private company.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

^This is true. For example, when the City reviewed its recreation facility policy, all possible stakeholders were invited to a day-long workshop held at City Hall. Groups included resident associations, heads of various sports organizations, seniors groups and others with a serious interest--a stake--in how these facilities are planned. Sure, they could have invited random people instead--citizens, as you prefer to say--but that would be a different type of information gathering session.

#13 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

Jesus tap-dancing Christ,

How ironic you should choose those words....
From the city's tenders page:
http://www.victoria....renttenders.asp

"The City of Victoria is requesting offers from qualified theatre or artistic producers to research, plan, design, build costumes and props, audition, hire, rehearse and manage no less than eight (8) interactive performers who will represent the City at special events throughout the 2012 festival season."
"Not to exceed $25,000"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users