• This topic is locked This topic is locked
121 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:50 AM

I find it a bit odd that Fairfield resident Susan Woods is running in Oak Bay, in light of her making such a big deal in last year's City of Victoria byelection that candidates live in the riding in which they are running. Living on "the border of Oak Bay" isn't the same as being an Oak Bay resident - I'm sure she thinks that she has as better shot at making it onto Oak Bay council, which is likely her motiviation for declaring in OB vs. CoV.

http://vibrantvictor...2&postcount=250
http://vibrantvictor...9&postcount=274

In addition, I hope for her sakethat she's grown a bit of a thicker skin and come to terms with her fear of the "technological wizardry" underpinning The Internetz. Oooooo, scary stuff!

http://vibrantvictor...8&postcount=336

That said, I can't seem to find a website for her - so maybe she's shied away from it completely.

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

I find it a bit odd that Fairfield resident Susan Woods is running in Oak Bay, in light of her making such a big deal in last year's City of Victoria byelection that candidates live in the riding in which they are running. Living on "the border of Oak Bay" isn't the same as being an Oak Bay resident - I'm sure she thinks that she has as better shot at making it onto Oak Bay council, which is likely her motiviation for declaring in OB vs. CoV.

http://vibrantvictor...2&postcount=250
http://vibrantvictor...9&postcount=274

In addition, I hope for her sakethat she's grown a bit of a thicker skin and come to terms with her fear of the "technological wizardry" underpinning The Internetz. Oooooo, scary stuff!

http://vibrantvictor...8&postcount=336

That said, I can't seem to find a website for her - so maybe she's shied away from it completely.

She spends more time in Oak Bay and lives within a couple of blocks of the border. She told me she really feels a lot more affinity with Oak Bay than Victoria.

#3 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

She spends more time in Oak Bay and lives within a couple of blocks of the border. She told me she really feels a lot more affinity with Oak Bay than Victoria.

Did she have a sudden epiphany with respect to her affinity to Oak Bay in the months following the Victoria by-election? Or has she always identified more with Oak Bay - in which case, why did she run in Victoria?

I know that you're a fan, Bernard, but I struggle to see her appeal.

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

Did she have a sudden epiphany with respect to her affinity to Oak Bay in the months following the Victoria by-election? Or has she always identified more with Oak Bay - in which case, why did she run in Victoria?

I know that you're a fan, Bernard, but I struggle to see her appeal.

I like Susan as a person, I will with hold my comments on her decision to run in Oak Bay. I am only telling you what she had to say about why she chose to run in Oak Bay to me when we had coffee.

Everyone also should know that I do not think that Oak Bay is a rational geographic unit to be a local government.

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

Everyone also should know that I do not think that Oak Bay is a rational geographic unit to be a local government.

HAHA, we can totally agree on that! :cool:

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

My view on Oak Bay as an insult to good governance and planning means I have trouble really taking anyone seriously that runs for council there unless they were to be in favour of amalgamating ASAP with Victoria

#7 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

No, Bob, but I am shying away from participating on VV because I don't find the discourse very much to my liking.

Regarding your query, as Bernard has mentioned, I feel a greater affinity with Oak Bay and it's where I'm more inclined to shop, do business, and socialize then anywhere else.

#8 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

Forgot to add that I'll be presenting a brochure and lots of information (including web based, Bob) to the residents of Oak Bay over the next four weeks.
If anyone would like to meet me or discuss issues I can be reached at suewoods@shaw.ca or 778-679-0617. I'm really a nice person who just wants to do public service - and will do my best to earn your vote on Nov 19th.

Cheers, Sue Woods
Candidate, Oak Bay Council 2011

#9 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

If anyone (besides Mr. Fugger) would like to meet me or discuss issues I can be reached at suewoods@shaw.ca or 778-679-0617 and welcome civil and respectful discourse anytime.

BAHAHAHA! In other words, if you plan on being critical or questioning her views, don't bother contacting her! Awesome.

#10 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

No, Bob, but I am shying away from participating on VV because I don't find the discourse very much to my liking.

Regarding your query, as Bernard has mentioned, I feel a greater affinity with Oak Bay and it's where I'm more inclined to shop, do business, and socialize then anywhere else.

Please humour me, Sue, as I am not that sharp and easily confused. Is this affinity towards Oak Bay new found - as in post-CoV by-election? Or did you run in that by-election, but your heart was really in Oak Bay?

#11 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

BAHAHAHA! In other words, if you plan on being critical or questioning her views, don't bother contacting her! Awesome.

You know that's not what I said Bob. I'm always happy to engage in 'civil and respectful' discourse and recognize that criticism and opposing views are part of life, certainly part of any political discussion. I just enjoy it when respect is part of that equation.

#12 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

Please humour me, Sue.

I think you've achieved your goal on this thread (dedicated to my candidacy), Bob.
Is that not enough humour for you for one night?

#13 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

I realize that that there's no 'rule' precluding a Saanich or Oak Bay resident serving at Victoria Council (Peter Pollen was from Oak Bay, Charlayne Thorten-Joe resides in Saanich) but I think it would seem odd to voters in another municipality for a Victoria resident to seek a council seat in their municipality - just like it seems it odd to some of us Victoria voters/ candidates. Here's to a time when we can all be part of a more cohesive community through partial or full amalagmation - and we can get past all this.

I'm guessing she is a "stealth" amalgamation candidate, or will she make this explicit? We'll have to wait and see!

#14 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

I think you've achieved your goal on this thread (dedicated to my candidacy), Bob.
Is that not enough humour for you for one night?

With evasive non-answers like that, you're a natural as a local politician! Good luck on the campaign trail! :D

#15 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

You know it's campaign season when the leaves turn to their splendid fall hues and Bob and Sue fling mud pies at each other. I've seen firsthand real Councillors in the trenches, getting crap flung at them ten times worse than anything Bob Fugger ever managed to excrete.

lots of information (including web based, Bob) to the residents of Oak Bay over the next four weeks

Sue left her website till the very last minute in the previous election, lets hope it doesn't take that long this time. As I said before, it takes a non-expert less than ten minutes to put a basic site live on the Web. Sue is a candidate worthy of consideration but people need to hear more about her.

#16 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

I'm guessing she is a "stealth" amalgamation candidate, or will she make this explicit? We'll have to wait and see!

Thanks for asking. I'm in favour of amalgamation, specifically a 'ward system' which would preserve the current and distinct neighbourhoods that are a positive part of life in the CRD. I like the model of three regions - Westshore (Colwood/ Langford/Metchosin/ Sooke); Saanich; and Victoria (Esquimalt/Oak Bay/ Vic West/View Royal) but recognize that until the province mandates amalgamation, we need to focus on regionalization of transportation instead. I believe being recognized as a community of 380,000 (instead of 13 communities of various and small sizes) would garner more federal funding attention as well as create a better sense of community/shared identity.

As for my former comments about cross-boundary candidates - I'm being very honest with everyone that I live outside the OB boundary. However I have lived in the 'immediate catchment' area (three blocks away) for twenty years and participate in in the life of OB on a daily basis so I feel a part of the community, which is why I have decided to step forward

#17 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

Sue left her website till the very last minute in the previous election, lets hope it doesn't take that long this time.

I'm actualy going to use a Facebook event page this time Robert. Less expensive and just as interactive. I'll have it up by the weekend when I start my campaign. www.facebook.com/candidatewoods

#18 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

As for my former comments about cross-boundary candidates - I'm being very honest with everyone that I live outside the OB boundary. However I have lived in the 'immediate catchment' area (three blocks away) for twenty years and participate in in the life of OB on a daily basis so I feel a part of the community, which is why I have decided to step forward

All very well, but you are not an Oak Bay taxpayer and for me that is the crux of the matter.

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:57 AM

All very well, but you are not an Oak Bay taxpayer and for me that is the crux of the matter.

So what!

We have all sorts of people that don't live in Oak Bay that have opinions on how they should run their affairs. Some don't think Oak Bay should exist as a municipality.

#20 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

So what!

We have all sorts of people that don't live in Oak Bay that have opinions on how they should run their affairs.

Except that the candidate made a big deal about non-resident candidates in the Victoria by-election last year. I also don't understand what an "immediate catchment area" is - is that a recognized concept in law when it comes to municipal borders? Even if it is, the candidate still has no skin in the game. "10% property tax increase? Sure, why not?"

Look, everyone here seems to think that I'm just trolling on this thread. Fact of the matter is that this candidate didn't even have a thread on VV until I added it; which I did for the purpose discussing the individual's candidacy. All I am doing is raising questions based on articulated positions and responses. I have not made a single ad hominem attack on the candidate - I don't need to, the candidate gives enough fodder for people to draw their own conclusions. And based on this, I think that the candidate is ill-suited for public office. But that's the opinion that I've drawn. Other posters and the candidate are free to agree, disagree or ignore me.

If I was the candidate, I would be thrilled that people were talking about me at all on here (i.e., no such thing as bad publicity), which wasn't the case until after yesterday @ 8:50AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users