Civic

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#61 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:17 PM

I love the idea - tie it into the new seawall/david foster walkway.

It might take a while to get built but it could add users to the goose which has been hugely successful. Seawalls work and make any area much more desirable, increasing property values and density.

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

I love the idea - tie it into the new seawall/david foster walkway...

At first I was wondering how one goes about tying a fire hall into a seawall (then again our current council has some rather bizarre ideas when it comes to uses of the public purse), but then I realized this was a classic example of a thread going off-topic and the above post was referencing the Bay Street bridge!  :redface:

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:46 PM

...I was wondering how one goes about tying a fire hall into a seawall (then again our current council has some rather bizarre ideas when it comes to uses of the public purse)...

A fire hall incorporated into a seawall? Good idea. But imagine if most of Victoria's fires could also be incorporated into a seawall somehow. Great idea. Think of it as a special zone where you allow or even encourage improper electrical connections, old wiring, arson, etc. In the long run the cost per fire would go way down because putting out the fires would be a cinch (just flood the entire neighbourhood with sea water), which means Victorians would be getting the best value from their fire services. Remember how the good people of Esquimalt complained about the decrease in serious crimes after police amalgamation, and how they weren't getting the best value for their policing dollar because of it? No risk of that happening when you create a special fire zone on a sea wall.

• Mike K., Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#64 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

Victoria Fire Department's high speed fireboat "Protector"

http://www.victoria..../fire-boat.html

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

#65 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:09 AM

The committee of the whole says building a new multi-use facility makes more sense than simply renovating the existing station on Yates Street.

But it would cost twice as much – some 30 million dollars.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps admits the fire station question has been on Council’s plate for a long time.

“We as a council are wanted to do something different. Other places are kind of doing fire hall plus housing or a fire hall and another emergency centre.”

http://www.cfax1070....oria-s-aging-fi

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

The committee of the whole says building a new multi-use facility makes more sense than simply renovating the existing station on Yates Street.

But it would cost twice as much – some 30 million dollars.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps admits the fire station question has been on Council’s plate for a long time.

http://www.cfax1070....oria-s-aging-fi

Wasn't the fire station question on the burner until the question of a new Johnson Street Bridge came along?

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

Look, we are facing a $17M renovation or a $30M replacement.

But are we really looking at this critically?

Do we even need a fix?

Does Victoria (8 sq. miles) need three halls?  Saanich (40 sq. miles) is much bigger and only has 3 halls.

Fire calls have also decreased by over 50% in the past 20 years.  Why are we replacing like it's 1995?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

i think it woild be safe to replace one and go doen to two statigically located stations.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

I got news for ya Victoria, fires are waaaaay down.  

Why are we replacing a fire hall when the role of the fire department is so greatly diminished now?

Let's re-think this.  We can beef up the Bay St. and James Bay halls and probably be fine.

Also, if the doorways might crash in Yates St, and prevent the trucks from leaving the hall in the big quake, why are we even storing them inside now?  Spend $1M on outdoor covers.  Service them indoors, and leave them outside when they are unattended.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

Saanich has 123 fire fighters.  How many fires do they attend?  It's a huge make-work program.

#71 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

Firefighters only attend fires? 

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

Firefighters only attend fires? 

No, they also go to medical emergencies and car crashes, and the extremely rare hazmat call.

But car crashes with serious injuries are also way down in the last 20 years, with most cars having air bags.  And taking the huge fire truck to a medical emergency is also silly.

We need to think 2016, not 1985.

We have at least 50% more fire-fighting capability we need in the CRD.  If a big fire happens in Saanich, we call in Victoria.  No reason to have two huge standing departments.

#73 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

Totally agree with VHF on this.  I live beside the No 1 Hall, and those fire trucks are going out pretty much every single hour, it's truly non-stop and most of those are for minor fender benders or downtown overdoses. It's absolutely insane we sent out giant expensive fire trucks filled with firefighters to these things.  How many actual fires are there in a day.. most days likely zero!!  Why not just station a couple ambulances in the parking lot and send those instead?  After that earthquake we had a couple weeks ago, I heard all the trucks start up, I think they moved them out into the parking lot in case of an aftershock which might collapse the structure.

#74 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

No, they also go to medical emergencies and car crashes, and the extremely rare hazmat call.

But car crashes with serious injuries are also way down in the last 20 years, with most cars having air bags.  And taking the huge fire truck to a medical emergency is also silly.

We need to think 2016, not 1985.

We have at least 50% more fire-fighting capability we need in the CRD.  If a big fire happens in Saanich, we call in Victoria.  No reason to have two huge standing departments.

The thing about emergencies is that they usually happen without warning, hence the requirement to have crews ready and waiting.  Unfortunately this is the cost that taxpayers must endure to compensate for carelessness and malice of a few. 

Yes, cars are safer - but there are still issues with extrication, fluid spills and potential fire risk.  If it's not firefighters showing up to crash scenes, then it's other first responders who must be trained to a similar level and always on standby. 

I suppose you could reduce the number of medical calls firefighters respond to to save a little money, but the taxpayers would still be on the hook to increase BCAS staffing levels. 

As for having too many fire halls - it should be obvious that you need to have your emergency services spread evenly throughout the city to reduce response times.  Perhaps savings could be realized by keeping the fire trucks outside in a semi-secure compound. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

As for having too many fire halls - it should be obvious that you need to have your emergency services spread evenly throughout the city to reduce response times.  Perhaps savings could be realized by keeping the fire trucks outside in a semi-secure compound. 

Saanich -  40 sq. miles, 3 halls.

Victoria -   8 sq. miles, 3 halls.

It makes no sense.  There have been more Saanich fires than Victoria in both 2015 and 2014.

#76 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

Saanich -  40 sq. miles, 3 halls.

Victoria -   8 sq. miles, 3 halls.

You'd be better off looking at the total calls for service and response times. 

#77 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

It makes no sense.  There have been more Saanich fires than Victoria in both 2015 and 2014.

You have an ulterior motive. Your evil plan will eventually put dozens of six-figure salary earners out of work.

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

You have an ulterior motive. Your evil plan will eventually put dozens of six-figure salary earners out of work.

Untrue.  My plan involves not hiring on new unnecessary peeps.

#79 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

Perhaps savings could be realized by keeping the fire trucks outside in a semi-secure compound. 

Not a good idea, the trucks would be stripped clean in a matter of minutes and you wouldn't want firefighters showing up to put out your barbeque with no hoses left.

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

You'd be better off looking at the total calls for service and response times. 

Both are down.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users