21 replies to this topic

#1 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

Rebuilding Community
By -Benjamin Moore
Nov 01 2006

As the executive director of the Fernwood Neighbourhood Resource Group (NRG), Roberta Martell is overflowing with energy . . . which is surprising when you consider the length of her to-do list. For the past 15 months she and NRG have been hard at work renovating their new Cornerstone building at the corner of Gladstone and Fernwood, and now the doors are finally open. Monday caught up with Martel to see what's really behind the facelift, and what that's going to mean for the community.

Monday: Describe Fernwood as it was when you took over.

RM: One of the things I had to do to become executive director was write an essay on the public's perception of Fernwood, and I found an article that had been published where people had been complaining about blood on the walls of the community centre and needles flushed down the toilets. So that's what I inherited, that was pretty much the community I felt I was entering into. Since then I've seen a big change and it's been a pretty amazing process to watch and be a part of.

Monday: What future do you see for Fernwood?

RM: Having only been here three years I've taken a lot of guidance and history from the seniors that we work with- and they say it used to be like a little Europe, but had since fallen to disrepair. So my biggest hope is that we can use some of the great bones and great energy and great people who live here to touch it up so it's got that quaint and quirky feel, rather than the funky and junky feel. So it's artistic, bohemian, innovative, passionate and strong.

Monday: What kind of businesses are you hoping to draw into the Cornerstone Building's storefronts?

RM: The whole building is filled already. We've got a kilt store at one end, and that's great because he's a Fernwoodian. He's created a lot of employment and it's a sustainable business because it's centered around manufacturing. And then we have a lease signed for a wine and tapas bar for the middle two suites, which is also a local Fernwood couple, so that'll be exciting. And then of course we're opening the coffee shop-the Cornerstone Cafe-which will create employment (we've hired about eight baristas), allow for Vic High kids to do their CAP hours and act as a resource center letting people know about the programs and services that are in the neighbourhood for them. It'll also act as an interface for neighbourhood living so people can meet and learn about the neighbourhood.

Monday: Can you think of any other community that already has what you're after? Is there a model?

RM: No. For me, it's a matter of taking pieces from what I've seen in other projects, whether its renewable energy, affordable housing, or social ventures such as the cafe. We've got community economic development, crime prevention, environmental design, decision-making, enterprising non-profits- so there are a whole bunch of different facets that not only have sustainability as a goal, but have it as the means by which we attain that goal.

Monday: Do you have any plans to take this model somewhere else?

RM: Every question has a different answer, and I think the danger is in believing that you've come up with a single model that you can export everywhere. So when I go into a community-and this is maybe the fourth community I've been in-the first thing I do is sit and watch and figure out where we are by hearing from the residents. Then you help them move from where they are to where they want to be in the most sustainable and respectful way possible. So I wouldn't presuppose that I could go anywhere else and do exactly this.

© Copyright 2006 Monday Magazine

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

No offense to the hard-working owner, but how sustainable is a kilt store? Is this a hot trend I have yet to pick up on? Are kilts here to stay? Should I buy one now before it's too late?

Fernwood struggles while Cook St. Village thrives. Is it the grocery shopping opportunities? Demographics? Perhaps "downtown" Fernwood lacks the size that would give it that crucial critical mass for success. Being somewhat hemmed in by established residential and a large high-school, further development of the village centre is near impossible. Let's hope this new development heralds a period of commercial stability.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:46 PM

^ I had a chance to chat with the kilt store owner some months ago, after he had just moved into the still-unfinished space. I think he'll be alright -- he's from the "live free or die" state (New Hampshire), and he goes to all the cool blogger/ webby/ 2.0 things (like [url=http://www.burningman.com/:6bef1]BurningMan[/url:6bef1], where he connects with all these other people), and does a ton of his business online, selling kilts via the net. Very interesting guy, I liked him a lot.

PS: I should add that the kilts aren't cheap, and the seamstresses he has working in the shop (and they are all women) make a living wage. The other funny thing was his observation that the young guys who buy kilts to wear to school etc. find themselves besieged by gals. If you want to stand out and beat the other guys, wear a skirt (er, kilt), it seems... :-D
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#4 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:40 PM

^ Och, but a wee bit draughty on a day like today.

#5 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:28 PM

^ which might make the kilt so suitable for the urban environment, since you're more likely to find a cozy wine & tapas bar nearby to escape to!

BTW, I can't remember where I read this now, but I think that the new bar ("Stages"?) in the Cornerstone bldg is managed / run by the same couple who own Paprika Bistro. Have never tried the latter, but some of you here have sung its praises, so I'm looking forward to their new place.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#6 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:34 PM

BTW, I can't remember where I read this now, but I think that the new bar ("Stages"?) in the Cornerstone bldg is managed / run by the same couple who own Paprika Bistro. Have never tried the latter, but some of you here have sung its praises, so I'm looking forward to their new place.

It is indeed the Paprika people. Although Fernwood to me seems like somewhat of a strange place for a wine bar, I hope it works. I look forward to the stroll...

#7 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

I didnt know it was the Paprika people who have the new wine bar. But this has given me an idea... I think I know where I'll be celebrating my 30th birthday this year! :)

But you know, if the Paprika folks can make a restaurant work on Estevan Ave, I am confident the Fernwood version will work just fine.

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:44 PM

The other funny thing was his observation that the young guys who buy kilts to wear to school etc. find themselves besieged by gals. If you want to stand out and beat the other guys, wear a skirt (er, kilt), it seems...

Guilty as charged.
:smt060

Check it out... I have ;) [url=http://www.freedomkilts.com/:fc1ec]Freedom Kilts[/url:fc1ec]

:oops:
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

Oh, sure, a beefy Caledonian looks great in a kilt. Heck, a tanned, muscular guy like that would look good in a potato sack. But if you saw my skinny, hairy, pasty-white legs sticking out under a kilt, you'd change your tune fast, lassie.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#10 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

/swoon
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#11 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:38 PM

edit

#12 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

Its my boyfriend. The chef in the middle is tall. The guy on the right is 5'3". :)

#13 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:22 AM

aha, no wonder you like Paprika so much!! Now we know the real reason you think it's the best restaurant in town! :D And perhaps there is hope for us short guys after all! Especially important considering that Derf at 5 foot 8 is the tallest of all the VV men...

anyways to keep on topic as required by the mod police, I'd like to try out this new place as well. Seems like the perfect night out would be a show at the Belfry and stopping in at the wine bar.

#14 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:29 PM

There was a wine and tapas bar in my old neighbourhood in Ontario, and I loved it!! Of course, I think this one will do well, as Zoomer says, because it will be near the Belfry.

#15 The Wizard of BC

The Wizard of BC
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

I would like to thank those who posted comments about Freedom Kilts.

Yes, My wife and I live in Fernwood. 255 steps from the shop.
Yes, we hire local. Each of our seamstresses live in Fernwood.
Yes, we manufacture local. All sewing and tailoring is done on site.

Although the majority of our business is over the internet, and most of our kilts go to the four corners of the world, we have seen a significant rise in local, walk-in business this last year.
We are not a new business and have seen growth in each of the three years we have been making kilts.
We are here to stay.

If you have not noticed the re-surgance of the wearing of the kilt that is happening in the world, you will.
The media has caught on to us, the fashion industry has caught on to us, and the younger generations have caught on to us.

And of course Ladies have always known the secret. Every man looks good in a kilt!

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

Being somewhat hemmed in by established residential and a large high-school, further development of the village centre is near impossible.

Seriously, they should get rid of that tennis court and give it over to development. A small mixed use building would be great there.

I used to hate that tennis court anyway. Too easy for the balls to go over the back fence beside the Belfry and such a pain to go out and around and try to find them again. Then again I haven't played there in many years so perhaps the situation has improved.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

There's tennis courts nearby in Stadacona park and Oaklands park so it wouldn't be a huge loss to the tennis community (is there still a tennis community?)

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:48 AM

^He's away, but as soon as he returns there will be.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

Hey! I like tennis!

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:50 PM

He's back!

:lol:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users