RobinKimpton
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Robin Kimpton
on
the City's purchase of 710 Queens and Gorge Road
or,
What was Council Smoking?

What was Council smoking when it purchase these two Travellers' properties?

The Capital Expenditures

The City purchased 710 Queens Avenue (a 35 unit motel property) and the Gorge Road Travellers in 2010.

It paid approximately $6 million dollars (from our Emergency funds) for both properties. So far it has managed to house some 35 adults on social assistance at 710 Queens. Using this number as the numerator that is $171,428.00 per unit. All the while the private sector was purchasing these properties for approximately $50,000 per unit.

But wait, hold on, there is still a large capital budget for renovation of both properties yet to come!

Operating Economics

On the cost side, the opportunity cost of money (this is high risk money) would be in the order of 8% on a property like this. 8% money would result in mortgage payments or the opportunity cost of money to you the tax payer of approximately $480,000 per year or $40,000 per month. The City by its own publication lists an operating budget of $500,000 per annum or another $41,666 per month. In addition, of course, the City would not pay taxes to itself. The taxes on a property like that would be about $60,000 per year, lost to you. The total annual operating budget comes in then at $87,666 per month.

How does that measure up then against the revenue side?

As stated above, there are 35 units or 35 guests / tenants at 710 Queens Avenue. All are probably on social assistance paying approximately their $600 per month social assistance allowance. Lets see now, 35 times $600 equals $21,000.

$87,666 is greater than $21,000 by $66,666 per MONTH!!! or $799,999 per YEAR.

Thats our money folks and we are losing it fast.

Dean argues that portions of these capital expenditures were received from senior levels of government but it is still our money.

Operating Realities

We are currently in a precarious world wide financial crisis. Economies all over are holding there breath. Electorate, we are meeting throughout the City express major concern about their personal finances. But no the City Council charges ahead undeterred.

The City's economy is now for the most part based on government and tourism. B. C. Ferries has announced the lowest ridership in 20 years this past summer. We suggest there is plenty of capacity in the private sector to accommodate this housing without the City wading in. We took over Blanshard Manor (760 Queens) on December 24, 2010. At the time it had some 20 guests. We advertised throughout the winter including several discussions with VIHA, Pacifica Housing etc. We peaked at approximately 45 guests. We have 85 units. We could have absorbed 710's entire occupancy and still had units to spare. We suggest there are many Travellers with capacity.

Had it not been for this Council, we would still have our $6,000,000.

What were they smoking at Council?

The only thing I can see they were smoking was our money.

#42 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

As a person who has worked in property managment for over 30 years I can assure you that ther are many " shared accomodations " in Victoria , some you would call " rooming houses ". As a person directly involved in the care and managment of Robin Kimptons properties in Victoria I would like to invite anyone who wishes take a tour of what a well run character house can do to provide safe , affordable housing.

#43 Eblanc

Eblanc
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

Victoria needs a new vision with business experience. My vote to Robin Kimpton

#44 Christine Selig

Christine Selig
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

I cant say I know much about politics.
I am voting for him because Robin and his staff were there for me when I needed them.

#45 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:22 AM

Kimpton was on CBC talking about why his Yates St. and Cook St. properties remain shuttered. He said any time he talks to the City about a solution they ignore him--won't even speak to him.

This could be because:

a) The City's "clean hands" policy forbids them from entering into discussions with anyone with outstanding tickets, bylaw infractions and legal issues.

b) The City is saying we're not here to help you organize and plan the future of your properties--come back when you have a firm proposal on paper.

Or it could be another reason altogether. I suspect the City went all-in on the Travellers Inn properties and isn't in the market for partnering on new properties, especially ones that are condemned.

According to CSO, Robin is suing us (the City of Victoria) so I suspect your first point is on the money.

#46 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

One lagal action from years ago does not define a person.
In fact as a life ling resident I have met many business owners who would have loved to bring legal challanges to the city but were afraid to.
Mr. Kimpton is taking action to point out that the city needs to move forward to prevent the closure of any other buildings without authority.
If anything, Robin Kimpton on city council would have a posative effect , and then we could move forward with housing more people.

#47 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

One lagal action from years ago does not define a person.
In fact as a life ling resident I have met many business owners who would have loved to bring legal challanges to the city but were afraid to.
Mr. Kimpton is taking action to point out that the city needs to move forward to prevent the closure of any other buildings without authority.
If anything, Robin Kimpton on city council would have a posative effect , and then we could move forward with housing more people.

Except it's not just one lawsuit - it's a series of them. We're still smarting from the Rogers debacle and I think the last thing we need is someone so litigious on Council. And from a practical perspective, let's assume he gets elected: how does he interact with staff if it's verboten to speak with him? Are we also confident in City policies that he doesn't just access the files related to his lawsuit?

In my opinion, there are many other suitable candidates that taking a chance on Kimpton is simply not warranted. Just like many first dates, there are too many red flags by the time the appetizers are done, you know you will never see this person again.

#48 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

There would not be access to said files due to the fact that only the legal depatment has concern there and no counciler should be nosing into it.
The issue before the courts in the 2321 Cook st. property will be precedent setting, in other words the issue has never beem litigated before so there are no files available in Victoria or otherwise
I would susggest to you that this case will only sevrve to protect the rights of Victoia citizens, and promote better cooperation between the city and its tax paying land owners.

#49 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

I don't know the guy or his motives but this is a quote from an interview he gave on CTV.

Kelly is not the only one who is angry at the process, Robin Kimpton who owns the Travelers Inn at 760 Queens St. says he has given up trying to re-zone his property; even offering to swap the city of another building. He is now willing to go as far as running for City Council in the upcoming municipal election to try and force some sort of change

If the intent is to get on council to try and force resolution to the various grievances he has with the City then I can't support him and agree with Bob.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

Doesn't every candidate run for election to change something that they feel affects them and others with similar views and/or experiences?

I'm sure that there are plenty of landowners who have had difficulties dealing with the City of Victoria on a number of issues, and plenty of tax payers are upset over the $6-million purchase price of the TI properties and their yearly operating costs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

I am very passionate about housing issues in Victoria and would like to thank you all for paticipating in the many discussions taking place in all forums.
It is clear to me that housing the homeless, and practical land use therein as topics in general have been greatly elevated as a result of Robin Kimptons bid for city council.
Some real bridges are being built here and that is a huge shift from the entrenched positions that existed.
The city must engage in an open discussion / strategy in order to prevent the homeless from being shifted around again.
Many in the homless community have been moved from the Pandora area over to the Queens/Rock Bay area and we need to work together to manage the situation in a compassionate but business like manor.

#52 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

It is clear to me that housing the homeless, and practical land use therein as topics in general have been greatly elevated as a result of Robin Kimptons bid for city council.

No doubt most people running for local office have an agenda, they certainly aren't getting rich from the salary. Robin Kimpton is perhaps more vocal about his agenda than others but calling him a homeless advocate is a stretch.

One of many articles on how Robin "advocates" for the homeless is linked below:

http://www.indymedia.../11/280461.html

I have respect for people who want to use the homeless card in their campaigns when they volunteer, donate food, or show any means of support.

#53 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

^^Don't be fooled, the missing beams, leaking sewer gas, no fire escapes, missing smoke alarms and debris falling from ceiling are all part of the City's focused campaign against Robert Kimpton and his homeless crusade.

#54 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

If anyone wishes to take a tour of some of the many properties ,and meet several people who have been helped to over come thier lack of housing by Robin Kimpton and his staff , and hear from these former homless persons on how, they , were helped to over come thier barriers to housing please contact me.
I simlply have too many cases to mention here, but I can say for sure they would love to talk to you.

#55 RobinKimpton

RobinKimpton
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Robin Kimpton

Further, on
The City’s purchase of two Travellers properties,
or
What is council smoking?

Last time I wrote to you about the economics or the City’s purchase of the two Travellers properties and the insanity thereof.

This time I am writing to you about a proposal I have put to the City Manager, Charlayne Thorton Joe and Mayor Fortin at City Hall. I have hesitated to tell this story because it can be seen as self-serving. Hopefully, you will see the wisdom in the proposal for the City. I think the ideas contained herein are sound especially relative to the City’s proposal to renovate 710 Queens Avenue.

Besides the proposal, the story, I am about to tell illustrates the stubborn nature of the Mayor and current Council, its lack of vision and overriding closed nature of the City. An open Victoria is a major issue in this campaign. I hesitate to tell the story because I was warned by several parties prior to filing my nomination papers that this is a small city and for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. On the notion, that this Mayor and some Councilors may be on the way out, I summon the courage to tell it.

As set out last time, the City is proposing to renovate 710 Queens from its current configuration of a 35-unit motel / hotel to again I believe a 35-unit apartment. In recent neighbourhood meetings, I have been told that construction is imminent; however, when I asked if plans were available for viewing I was told they were not. I was not clear if they were not available for viewing because the City is simply not making them available or they were not completed.

Behind the scenes to this, the businesses of the neighbourhood have been meeting opposing the conversion of 710 to social housing. The businesses complain that since 710 was bought by the City and those on Pandora moved to this location the neighbourhood has seen a downward spiral. Budget Sales complains of broken aerials, people sleeping under their trucks at night, people urinating between vehicles in broad daylight. They say that someone is going to be killed if a truck is started and driven away without checking. Dairy Queen complains of an assault on its bathrooms and of theft. Timmis Motors complains of having to clean the lot daily including the City’s boulevard. Timmis complains that its front door has been shot up with a slingshot. Alexandria Rugs complains of people entering their premises while dealing with a customer and being verbally assaulted with demands for money. The businesses strenuously object to the conversion of 710 to social housing. I wrote a letter on behalf of the businesses to the Mayor and asking for a meeting. The businesses complained that the neighbourhood has taken more than its fair share of the social housing or agencies for the City. The neighbourhood has the mobile needle exchange, the Mustard Seed and the bottle depot both do admiral jobs but unfortunately bring activities like those listed above to the neighbourhood. The letter also presented an alternative to the City’s proposal for social housing at 710. It is this proposal, which I am going to discuss with you in a moment. The Mayor wrote back that the City was now (since September. 2011) holding neighbourhood meetings on how to calm the neighbourhood and suggesting that new garbage cans had been installed. No response was given to the requested meeting.

I commenced neighbourhood meetings in January of 2011 to discuss calming the 700 block of Queens. I was told this was the first time the private sector had undertaken this. I contacted Suzanne Cole, Executive Director of the Burnside Gorge, she stated that 710 and 760 Queens and their clients had been talked about at the Board level and within the community association. Having identified the need, I called the meetings. These were monthly meetings attended by the City, the Burnside Gorge, the Police, the Fire Department, a representative of the CRD, Rev Al Tysick, Our Place, etc.

During the course of these meetings and as an offshoot of these meetings, I made the proposal as mentioned above to Charlayne Thorton Joe and to the City Manager.

You may or may not be aware that I purchased three Travellers properties immediately adjacent to the City’s 710 Queens property.

The proposal was and is that the City and I should consider this assembly of properties, which span the 700 block of Queens and Field for a comprehensive development. The principle proposed was that of Woodwards, that is a mixed use development of social and market housing together with retail and commercial. The development would provide the City with the social housing it was seeking and more.

Here are a few of the key points with respect to the proposed renovation of 710:

- To renovate 710 will simply result in an old car with a new fender
- There appears to be significant structural problems with the decks at 710
- It costs significantly more to renovate than to build new
- Concentrating social housing on Douglas a key portal in and out of the City for tourists is questionable. How many of you have seen the building and the flailing, which has gone on around the building over the last 12 months or so?

Here are some of the key points for the comprehensive development proposal:

- 710 could be run as it exists until the comprehensive development plan could be developed
- Alternately, I have a couple of properties at the corner of Cook and Empress, which could be swapped for 710.

The City could swap; it would get the approximate 35 to 40 units it is proposing at 710. The units would be built new and cost effectively relative to a renovation. The new construction would be purpose built for the type of clients the City intends on housing. The visual impact of this social housing would be removed from Douglas and Blanshard key portals to and from the City. There would be a significant lift for this block as well as providing the basis for uplifting this Mid Town area from there to downtown. The City would get additional social housing in the comprehensive development.

As stated above, this can be seen as self-serving and to the extent that the property I own would be uplifted. However, the City itself would receive a significant benefit. You never know it might even make some money on its purchase of 710. It would get the 35 to 40 units of social housing it currently proposes for 710 and more.

I expect the City’s renovation is cemented in stone. However, I just could not understand the recalcitrant position of the City to the proposal, which makes so much sense / cents to me.

The only other thing I can think is Dean campaigned last time on the Homeless issue and he sees this as his answer. It sure is his answer at your expense.

As previously stated, what is Council smoking?

#56 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:17 AM

Robin Kimpton on normal fonts:

I can’t use normal fonts, I’m running for Victoria Council so I have to cut and paste EVERYTHING!

But seriously, how the hell did he do that?
In chains by Keynes

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

When making a post, please be aware of text size. If fonts appear too large, please edit your post and select a text size of "2" from the "advanced editing" form.

Thank you :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

Robin Kimpton on normal fonts:

I can’t use normal fonts, I’m running for Victoria Council so I have to cut and paste EVERYTHING!

But seriously, how the hell did he do that?

Robin Kimpton on cross-posting:

I'm also allowed to use said cut-and-paste to cross-post the same post over and over again on various threads without getting a talking to from any mods. PS If any mods call me on it I will sue them and charge $165 per hour for any legal research that goes into it.

#59 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

Looking forward to the all candidates meet tonight put on by the Burnside / Gorge Community Association . I expect to meet some folks who are wanting to talk about housing, and harm reduction.

#60 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

Robin Kimpton on cross-posting:

I'm also allowed to use said cut-and-paste to cross-post the same post over and over again on various threads without getting a talking to from any mods. PS If any mods call me on it I will sue them and charge $165 per hour for any legal research that goes into it.

Yah, how come I keep seeing his post over and over again?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users