BUILT
1515 Douglas Street
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1515 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1515 Douglas Street is a six-storey, 111,428 square foot office complex with ground floor retail space at the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1515 Douglas Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1515 Douglas and 750 Pandora | Office; commercial | 6- & 13-storeys (53.6m & 27.4m) | Completed - Built in 2018 and 2017

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1287 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

Colliers announced today that Jawl Development Corp has purchased 750 Pandora from a Vancouver developer. This property is currently a parking lot on the north side of the street between Douglas and Blanshard.

#2 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

Colliers announced today that Jawl Development Corp has purchased 750 Pandora from a Vancouver developer. This property is currently a parking lot on the north side of the street between Douglas and Blanshard.

Was that the site of the Centro condo proposal?

#3 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

That would be the big lot across from John's Place right (that fronts on Cormoront too)?
Wasn't something else supposed to go in there before the crash in 2008?

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

That would be the big lot across from John's Place right (that fronts on Cormoront too)?
Wasn't something else supposed to go in there before the crash in 2008?

You are correct, that is the property. I can't for the life of me remember what was originally planned for that property.

#5 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

It would be awesome to see that surface lot disappear, that's one of the worst ones around, especially given the location.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

It would be nice to see that block of Pandora cleaned up a bit.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

Moderators: Can you please move posts #93 - #98 (99 if you include this one) to the "Centro" thread. Thanks & cheers!

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

Thanks Nparker. It might be a little early for that assumption though. How about if we wait until we see if Jawl is going to build what was proposed for that address?

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the project may be entirely different.

#9 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Thanks Nparker. It might be a little early for that assumption though. How about if we wait until we see if Jawl is going to build what was proposed for that address?

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the project may be entirely different.

Esp. since Jawl is primarily an office developer whereas Centro was a condo proposal?

#10 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

There was once a study of downtown Victoria that suggested a park-like area on the Douglas block of that property, which would have the effect of highlighting a view of the old City Hall building. I always thought that idea had a lot going for it. It would be nice if the City Hall view is considered when doing the development.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

Esp. since Jawl is primarily an office developer whereas Centro was a condo proposal?

That was my thinking Kapten, especially for downtown properties. They have built some remarkable condos at Sayward Hill, but somehow I can't see them building something other than what they design themselves.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Sparky. I whipped up a quick piece on the sale for our blog followers.

To reiterate Sparky's hunch, the actual rezoning for the 19- and 14-storey tower concept (Centro) envisioned by Townline does not appear to have been fully approved, although the Advisory Design Panel did back the old Centro design.

Jawl Properties and Townline representatives were unavailable for comment. Contacts at the City's planning department all went to voice mail (busy Wednesday for everyone, it seems).

We should expect to see things progress on the property since the Jawl's are not known to sit long on surface parking.

Developer of Atrium office building purchases downtown “Roth Site” property
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictor...-site-property/

One week after Vancouver-based developer Dave Chard purchased the Emaar property on Yates Street, Victoria-based Jawl Properties, developer of downtown’s Atrium office building, has taken ownership of the Roth Site in the 700-block of Pandora Avenue.

The land’s previous owner, Richmond-based Townline (developer of the Hudson’s Bay Department Store site at Douglas and Fisgard streets), had envisioned a two-tower residential complex, dubbed Centro, on the Pandora lot situated just a stones throw from Victoria City Hall. Due to the economic downturn of 2008 the land was never developed and eventually put up for sale. [Read more].

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

This will be office.
I understand the Jawl's mandate is strictly office at the moment.

presumably it will be a fairly large office given the site and location. will be great for some new quality office to be added to the core.

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

No doubt a Government tenant already lined up to pay premium lease rates and loan the money required for development!

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Image from earlier in this thread showing the massing of a (hypothetical?) proposed office block.

#16 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

Glad to see a large open paved square there, the neighbouring square is often way too jammed full of people and activity, we need more.

Seriously, can we knock it off with the useless open spaces? You know how some cities have an urban containment boundary based on the population? Can we have some sort of "useless paved open space" limit based on a similar formula?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

Can we have some sort of "useless paved open space" limit based on a similar formula?

I agree 100%. The space west of the Rotherham building is completely useless and as far as I know has never been utilized. We learned so much from this folly that the city insisted on similar blank spaces alongside the Astoria, Belvedere and the Aria. For what purpose does a city of fewer than 80,000 people need so many plazas in its downtown core?

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

I don't know, a public plaza that overlooks another public plaza sounds pretty sweet.

The only way it would be sweeter is if there were an adjacent public plaza from which you could soak it all in.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

A rooftop patio would do the trick.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

The public spaces can be wonderful if used for something. Encourage restaurant/coffee shop outdoor seating, vendors etc. The spaces are great if there is activity.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users