Save-On-Foods grocery stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#281 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

If your dad just called to say he bought a Toyota, I don't think he'll be pulling up in a Lexus :)

Downtown residents would absolutely loathe an Urban Fair or another high-end grocery store. We need resonable prices in downtown, not competition among only top tier grocers.
  • bluefox likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#282 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

I think having SoF is great. It will be the first real grocery store downtown as you could not really do a big grocery shop at either Wellburns or MoY. That said I am wondering how they are going to deal with the security challenges that this location is going to pose versus their other stores. You might have to take out a loan to borrow a shopping cart...

• Mike K., Nparker, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#283 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

Market on Yates is a great grocery storey, don't get me wrong, but prices are on par if not higher than Whole Foods. That makes anything other than a single bag of groceries impractical for many.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#284 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

You might have to take out a loan to borrow a shopping cart...

Port Place Thrifty's solved the wandering shopping cart problem with some kind of locking system that prevents the cart from being removed from the premises.  Works well, too well.  Have to man handle my groceries over to the ferry line up.

#285 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

I think having SoF is great. It will be the first real grocery store downtown as you could not really do a big grocery shop at either Wellburns or MoY. That said I am wondering how they are going to deal with the security challenges that this location is going to pose versus their other stores. You might have to take out a loan to borrow a shopping cart...

ALL the parking is underground, so I assume carts are never to get close to leaving the property.  They will not be able to go out the front doors, and a system will stop them at the parking entrance.

That's the interesting thing that's yet to be seen, how a grocery manages with zero surface parking.  Even Thrifty's at Tuscany has some surface parking.

And I assume they will hire a uniformed security guard or two like MoY has now.

• Nparker and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#286 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

Market on Yates is a great grocery store, don't get me wrong, but prices are on par if not higher than Whole Foods. That makes anything other than a single bag of groceries impractical for many.

I generally only buy sale items at MoY, which are comparable with pretty much all local grocers. Believe me, I check before I head out the door. Nevertheless, I welcome the competition and additional selection that SoF will bring to my 'hood.

• Mike K. likes this

#287 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Market on Yates is a great grocery storey, don't get me wrong, but prices are on par if not higher than Whole Foods. That makes anything other than a single bag of groceries impractical for many.

Oh, it's a fabulous store, no doubt. They stock lots of items you can't find elsewhere. It's still my go to place when I need a good cut of meat or some good cheese.

But for everyday type items, you're right, the cost to buy the bulk of your food there would be crippling unless your disposable income is huge.
  • Mike K. likes this

#288 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

Tillicum SOF some months ago contracted a local security firm to post patrols periodically in the store and closed off the "exit" on the east side of the store (you can still Enter but not Exit) due to problems with shoplifting. Haven't seen any security staff there lately but presume the new location will do something similar if they feel the need.....

#289 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

you should check out the Rexal on Douglas near Broughton.  They have some good deals on milk, eggs, bread.  

The Rexal is a pleasant shopping experience compared to the Shoppers Drug Mart downtown.

#290 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

you should check out the Rexal on Douglas near Broughton.  They have some good deals on milk, eggs, bread.  

The Rexal is a pleasant shopping experience compared to the Shoppers Drug Mart downtown.

I agree, it's quite nice.  Well, actually, I do like the staff at Shoppers better.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#291 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

I agree, it's quite nice.  Well, actually, I do like the staff at Shoppers better.

Yes, the staff at Shoppers are very nice.

I was talking more about the customers.  I've witnessed shoplifting, fights, and one time some guy peeing in the isle.

It seems to attract the strangest people.  Just head 3 blocks down the street to Rexal and it seems like a different world.

#292 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

ALL the parking is underground, so I assume carts are never to get close to leaving the property.  They will not be able to go out the front doors, and a system will stop them at the parking entrance.

That's the interesting thing that's yet to be seen, how a grocery manages with zero surface parking.  Even Thrifty's at Tuscany has some surface parking.

And I assume they will hire a uniformed security guard or two like MoY has now.

Grocery stores in Vancouver with zero surface parking seem to do just fine, including SOF ;)

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#293 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:47 AM

Grocery stores in Vancouver with zero surface parking seem to do just fine, including SOF ;)

Oh, for sure, it's just a fairly new thing here.

#294 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

The Bay Centre has zero surface parking :)

Sort of.

Know it all.

#295 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:28 AM

The Bay Centre has zero surface parking :)

Sort of.

They do not have shopping carts though.

#296 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

I also think they would be hoping the majority of their business won't be from drivers, or drivers that are doing so just to go there.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#297 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

I also think they would be hoping the majority of their business won't be from drivers, or drivers that are doing so just to go there.

Well, I'm not sure about that.  The dollar value order per customer is much higher if they come by car.

#298 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

Bur having worked at the Thrifty's in James Bay, our average sale per customer was $26, but our customer count was through the roof. Store like Hillside would have average sales over $100 per customer on weekends and $80 during the week. Much lower customer count though. It all levels out. I am sure Markets average is low as well as they most likely get alot of daily shoppers in comparison to weekly.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:18 AM

I'll definitely be driving to SOF for groceries. I spent enough times in my younger days beating the pavement with a grocery bag on each finger.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

I'll definitely be driving to SOF for groceries. I spent enough times in my younger days beating the pavement with a grocery bag on each finger.

Even if I owned a car I don't think I could justify driving and parking it for a 2 block trip. I have become very adept at purchasing pretty much exactly what I can carry home. I might even buy more art SoF since it is 2.5 blocks closer to home than the MoY!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users