Save-On-Foods grocery stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

As Gman says, the Save-Ons at Saanich Plaza will only get busier as the area densifies. Prior to the redevelopment of Uptown recall that there was also the Fairways at T&C.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

I am just thinking cannibalization of you own market share. Safeway shopper will stay at Tillicum Save On. Saanich Plaza Save On shoppers in yhe Tillicum or beyond area will start to shop at Tillicum. An already quite store becomes quiter.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#103 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

And the signs are getting installed at Tillicum. Fast.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#104 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Wow, that was fast. Are they going to unstock/liquidate and restock from scratch?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#105 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

We'll find out in due time but I would expect that the deal included aspects where Save On could purchase some/most of the inventory at cost to avoid unnecessary movement of goods back to the mainland. An inventory count would have been done after the store closed I presume. Obviously Safeway specific items/brands would be excluded.

I think all the stores will remain. Convenience is more important than particular stores for many people. Although I wish I passed a different grocery store on my walk home, not having to go out of my way or drive to a mall makes my local shop that much more appealing.

With the increasing population over in Vic West when, where and which store would you expect next?

#106 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

A friend of mine who works for Safeway (and now Save On) said that they bought the non-Lucerne stock and will just sell it off if they don't stock it.

#107 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

And the signs are getting installed at Tillicum. Fast.

That's not going to fit above the door... did they measure first? :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#108 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

I noticed at the Fort/Foul Bay Safeway a lot of the stock, primarily Safeway branded items, had been left to sell out with quite a bit of empty shelf space left. 

I won't miss the Lucerne chocolate milk.  Damn stuff tasted like chalk. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#109 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Tillicum & Fort/Foul Bay were liquidating non-perishable Safeway branded items (Edwards coffee, etc) 50% off. Univ Heights doesn't change until next week - maybe they still have some sale stock at a good deal.

And yeah - Dairyland choco milk all the way (although "new-comer" Natrel is pretty good :-)

#110 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Does Save On carry Island Farms products?  I remember when Safeway finally started stocking a limited selection of Island Farms. 

#111 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

A Safeway in New Westminster has recently been converted to a Save-on-Foods. It was closed for only two days.

#112 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

A Safeway in New Westminster has recently been converted to a Save-on-Foods. It was closed for only two days.

Ditto the one in Tsawwassen. I was just in there yesterday. It's actually hilarious, because nothing really changed, so it just looks like the hastily born love-child of Safeway and Jim Pattison.

Aisle signage, department signage, colour schemes, equipment, checkout lanes, everything is still there from Safeway. The only difference is the price tags, the uniforms, the Save-On logo outside the store and the green checkout lane numbers.

It's actually kinda eerie. ;)

• sebberry likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#113 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Have they kept the meat counters?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#114 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

Have they kept the meat counters?

Fixtures all remained the same.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#115 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

April 2 is the last day for the University Heights Safeway. Gift cards technically can be used at Thrifty indefinitely but it will be a hassle as they'll have to phone to determine the balance. I don't know the fate of the in-store Starbucks.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

End of an Era

IMG_0899.jpg

...and a new beginning

IMG_0948.jpg

• Holden West and sebberry like this

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

"Talk about savings?" Save-Ons has about as much to do with "savings" as Thrifty's has to do with being "thrifty."

The one store I am eagerly anticipating is the planned Superstore on Douglas.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#118 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

I just returned from the Fort and Foul Bay Safeway Save On.  Bit of a fustercluck in there today but they're all still learning the new systems so I didn't mind. The young trainer was rushing the poor old former Safeway cashier through the new system at warp speed.  And nothing says "welcome to the team" like black and neon green uniforms :squint:

Bluefox is right - it's kinda weird seeing all the existing Safeway fixtures and signage up while knowing it's no longer a Safeway. 

Does anyone know if you need their "More Rewards" card for their sale price goods?  I know I needed a Safeway card for that. 

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

So Tillicum, Fort/Foul Bay & Sidney are now Save-on-Foods stores. Has University Heights been switched over yet?

#120 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

No, that's next week I think.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users