Save-On-Foods grocery stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#121 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

"Talk about savings?" Save-Ons has about as much to do with "savings" as Thrifty's has to do with being "thrifty."

The first thing I noticed about Save On taking over from Safeway is the prices went up

#122 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

Bluefox is right - it's kinda weird seeing all the existing Safeway fixtures and signage up while knowing it's no longer a Safeway. 

Wait a few weeks. They'll get around to changing the inside signage and fixtures to the Save On style soon enough. ;)

#123 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

It'll be interesting to see what they do end up doing. 

Right now it's sort of like the temporary rebranding they do for movie shoots. 

• bluefox likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

The first thing I noticed about Save On taking over from Safeway is the prices went up

Is that right? Well there you go.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Wait a few weeks. They'll get around to changing the inside signage and fixtures to the Save On style soon enough. ;)

In truth, the stores' appearance was not shocking – the Competition Bureau, as we know, required them to be sold as working grocery stores, meaning they literally did have to be flipped overnight. Like you say, the real renovation work will come later.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#126 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Does anyone know if you need their "More Rewards" card for their sale price goods?  I know I needed a Safeway card for that.

Hmm.. looks like you do need the card.

Let my quest to obtain a card without providing them with my address, phone number, email, etc... begin!

Edited by sebberry, 30 March 2014 - 10:12 PM.
Fixed my goofy self-quoting

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#127 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

LOL what?

The last time I went to a Safeway, which was about a month ago, to pick up some olive oil the price was $15.99 for a bottle that's usually $8.99 at Save on. 

Safeway's meat was always terrible and expensive too. 

#128 BlueInk

BlueInk
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Sebberry... You can ask the cashier to use the 'general' store card to get sale prices ....it seems like there is one kept at each of the tills. I've borrowed one even from the clerk helping at self checkout. I've found this particularly useful in the US when I need a store card to get a deal.

For those who will get a card, i'm pretty sure SOF has an app that allows you to scan your card at the till via your iphone.

#129 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

If there's a 'general' store card at the Save On in Vic West, then it's news to the cashiers.  I do have a card, and have 'loaned' it to the people in front of me in line so that they can get the sale prices at the cashier's suggestion.

#130 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Yeah strange to hear prices went up. Save on has always been vastly cheaper than Safeway which worked hard to be more expensive than Thriftys.

• jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#131 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

I made my final trip to Safeway today. I rarely shop there but I found they had some pretty good deals on multiple item sales, for example, Minute Maid punch for fifty cents. Which reminds me, I noticed that Thrifty no longer carries the McCain fruit punch. That means if you're shopping there for frozen juice and don't want a Coca-Cola produced product you're out of luck.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#132 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Sebberry... You can ask the cashier to use the 'general' store card to get sale prices ....it seems like there is one kept at each of the tills. I've borrowed one even from the clerk helping at self checkout. I've found this particularly useful in the US when I need a store card to get a deal.

For those who will get a card, i'm pretty sure SOF has an app that allows you to scan your card at the till via your iphone.

The cashier didn't do that for me today.  And in my experience, Safeway was not much better. They did it a couple of times for me because they recognized me as a regular. 

I never filled out the form for my Safeway card, BTW.  They handed me the card and form and told me to fill it out later and bring it back.  I'll see if they give me the Save-On More card the same way. 

Too much personal information to hand over just so I can get the advertised sale price.

#133 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

I much prefer stores that don't require a card to get sale prices. Walmart and Thriftys for example. Fairways - I think as well?

Mike - Superstore on Douglas? Do tell!

#134 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

So for people who think giving the card application is to much information, do you use google maps? How do you think the get the traffic information? GPS data and your phones movement.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#135 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

The card doesn't bother me, it's the personal information I have to hand over in order to get it. 

I'm sure Sobey's got all of Safeway's cardholder info when they bought them.  I don't know if cardholders agreed to have that data handed over to the highest bidder. 

Identity theft and fraud is on the rise.  The fewer companies I need to share my info with the better.

#136 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

So for people who think giving the card application is to much information, do you use google maps? How do you think the get the traffic information? GPS data and your phones movement.

I don't think I've ever used Google maps for navigation.  One reason I don't use a Google/Android phone is the lack of ability to set restrictions on what app gets to access my contacts, location and other personal information they (don't) require to run. 

#137 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

Too much personal information to hand over just so I can get the advertised sale price.

How much of this information really needs to be accurate though, aside from your mailing address I suppose?

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

Save-Ons no longer allows clerks to provide the cashier card for discounts. They used to do this.

However, you don't have to supply a lot of info to get a card. I signed up literally as Mike K, signed the card and off I went.

Mike - Superstore on Douglas? Do tell!

For sure, check out this thread: http://vibrantvictor...rstore-on-hold/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#139 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

For some funny stories about gaming supermarket cards, Google "rob cockerham supermarket card". Rob's gag is getting you to paste his UPC code on the back of your card, creating a "supershopper" with an unbelievable buying history database.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#140 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

For some funny stories about gaming supermarket cards, Google "rob cockerham supermarket card". Rob's gag is getting you to paste his UPC code on the back of your card, creating a "supershopper" with an unbelievable buying history database.

Hmm. Can I get all of you to do that for my airmiles and aeroplan miles cards? Please? :P

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users