Public Eye shuts down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

From Sean Holman, Publisher and Editor of Public Eye.
November 1 2011

Since 2003, I've been honoured to be your eyes and ears in British Columbia's capital city, providing daily investigative coverage of provincial politics. That coverage now amounts to an archive of more than 6,000 stories - many of which have had a substantial impact on public policy and governance. But all good things must come to an end. So today I'm announcing the suspension of the site's daily reporting.

Full story at http://www.publiceyeonline.com/archives/006356.html#more

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

That's too bad, as his site had a lot of great stories over the years. He says he'll keep teaching journalism at UVic but how depressing is it when your prof can't find work?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

I am sure that he will be able to do something. He has done a great job over the years. I really think that it comes back to small businesses still even after 20 years of the internet do not feel comfortable or believe in the benefit of online advertising.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

Sean has broken some important stories over the years. I will miss him.

#5 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

This is very sad news. Politicians everywhere are dancing a jig about now. It is shame that we may have to rely on mainstream media to report the antics of this, and any other Government. Thank goodness there are several other alternative and blog sites that help to balance out the fluff we are getting from the big outlets now. I enjoyed Sean's site and will miss it greatly.

The cynical side of me is wondering if, and hoping dearly that he wasn't squeezed out. If so, we are all in trouble!

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

Sean has been trying to figure out how make it work for him. His problem is that he never achieved a model that would cover the bills.

As journalist, he could not sell ads himself.

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

Didn't he shut down before when he took a more regular gig at CFAX.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

That's too bad :(

Running an online enterprise, be it media or even retail, has its challenges.

I wish him all the best.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

Didn't he shut down before when he took a more regular gig at CFAX.

In the run up the 2005 election he was hired by the Vancouver Sun as a political reporter, that did not fit well for either party so he went back to Public Eye Online in mid 2005. Since then it has been running 24/7 other the few short holidays he has taken.

#10 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

I'm not really saddened by this news. All I remember about the Public Eye was trying to post on news stories he came up with and having to jump through myriad hoops. As I recall, I had to first register, then receive confirmation of my registration, then I posted, then my post had to be approved by the mod (probably Sean), then if it was approved, it was posted later. I kind of got the feeling that Sean was just a little bit of a control freak and I wasn't interested in going through all that just to say something on the internet where anywhere else my comments would get posted immediately. I just wonder how much of a factor that played in the demise of the site.
In chains by Keynes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users