9 replies to this topic

#1 ziaz

ziaz
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

CITY OF LANGFORD
DECLARATION OF CANDIDATES

Section 74 of the Local Government Act
I, Thomas F. Moore, Chief Election Officer, hereby declare that the following persons are the Candidates who have submitted Nomination Papers for the 2011 Local Government General Election of the City of Langford to be held on Saturday, November 19th, 2011:

Mayor: (One Person to be elected)
Surname Given
Name Name(s) Address
YOUNG Stewart W . #116 – 1244 Muirfield Pl, Langford BC, V9B 6T3 (incumbent)
JOHNSON Christopher A. 16654 Island Rd, Port Renfrew BC, V0S 1K0

Councillors (Six Persons to be elected)
Surname Given
Name Name(s) Address
SZPAK Lillian M. 528 Treanor Ave, Langford BC, V9B 3H1 (incumbent)
BLACKWELL Denise 951 Glen Willow Pl, Langford BC, V9B 4W3 (incumbent)
SAHLSTROM Matthew T. 936 Walfred Rd, Langford BC, V9C 2P4 (incumbent)
HORGAN, Sean P. 893 Walfred Rd, Langford BC, V9C 2P1
SEATON Lanny 2997 Glen Lake Rd, Langford BC, V9B 4B3 (incumbent)
SIFERT Winnie 918 Walfred Rd, Langford BC, V9C 2P4 (incumbent)
MCLACHLAN Grant A. 3033 Cressida Cres, Langford BC, V9B 5W9
WADE Roger S. 974 Wild Blossom Court, Langford BC, V9C 4M8 (incumbent)

Declared this 14th of October 2011
Thomas F. Moore
Chief Election Officer

#2 ziaz

ziaz
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Shaw TV Langford candidates’ statements

http://insidelangfor...tes-statements/

#3 ziaz

ziaz
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

http://www.timescolo...3624/story.html

#4 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:07 AM

Shaw TV Langford candidates’ statements

http://insidelangfor...tes-statements/

This was painful to watch.

#5 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

I'm voting for Chris Johnson for mayor, and only two council candidates: Grant McLachlan and Lillian Szpak.

It's funny that the fear of "decades of dead wood" on council among Victoria residents who are looking to turf Dean Fortin and the left-wingers from council doesn't translate to Langford, where we should have more voices standing up to Stew and his band of mindless followers every three years - yet we don't see that, ever.

The opposition to the incumbents in 2008 was a straight-up joke, Steven Hurdle excepted. This year, it's even worse. We basically have no choice, even though the population of Langford has grown by 15-20% since 2006 and we have pressing issues to deal with, with politicians who are now entrenched and just going through the motions, doing it their way.

Stew's no Hazel McCallion. Not even close... yet he's probably a lock to run through two straight decades as mayor.

If Lillian hadn't demonstrated during the federal election that she has her own brain and ideas, I would leave her off my ballot too.

This is what we call a protest vote. ;)

#6 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

If Lillian hadn't demonstrated during the federal election that she has her own brain and ideas, I would leave her off my ballot too.........

I'm not sure she does bluefox. I recall when she was first running for council, she touted herself as the "green" candidate who was going to protect environmrntally sensitive areas, including Hulls Field. Well it appears that was an epic fail, as that area now is part of a local company's ever expanding empire and has on it a gas station, no less. Never heard a peep or nay vote from her during her entire term, except for the odd flower arranging photo op.

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

^I think what is there now is a heck of an improvement over what was there.

And there are a whole lot more citizens enjoying the area.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

^I think what is there now is a heck of an improvement over what was there.

And there are a whole lot more citizens enjoying the area.

LJ, I'm not passing judgement on that development. I could care less about it one way or the other, although I do feel sorry for the frogs that used to live there. :rolleyes:

#9 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

I'm not sure she does bluefox. I recall when she was first running for council, she touted herself as the "green" candidate who was going to protect environmrntally sensitive areas, including Hulls Field. Well it appears that was an epic fail, as that area now is part of a local company's ever expanding empire and has on it a gas station, no less. Never heard a peep or nay vote from her during her entire term, except for the odd flower arranging photo op.

The 2011 federal election Lillian Szpak was a lot different from the Langford councillor Lillian Szpak, I will say that much.

#10 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

Stew's no Hazel McCallion. Not even close... yet he's probably a lock to run through two straight decades as mayor.

I don't get how the analogy between Young and McCallion doesn't work. It's very simple, they're two politicans who are very popular because they both pull no punches and tell it like it is, which is exactly what their constituents want so they keep getting re-elected. There are still some places in this country you can do that even if Victoria isn't one of them. Even if you disagree with Young's right-wing agenda, it's hard to argue with his success in Langford as it is with McCallion's in Misterssauga. In fact i'm not sure there's another politician in Canada who has a better shot at unseating Hazel's political longevity record than Stew Young.

A fan of term limits are we?
In chains by Keynes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users