- - - - -

John C. Turner

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

John ran for Council in the last election, and for those who have not had the chance to meet or hear from him, I thought I'd share some of the responses he provided for the JBNA all candidates meeting.

As background to his answer about cruise ship and airplane impacts in James Bay, I'll let you know that he is the "founding CEO of both the Esquimalt Harbour Sebus (sic) LTD and the Vancouver Island Light Rail Company LTD". So you think he would understand harbour air and marine traffic routing. So I was surprised at this response - "I have seen planes land too close to The Breakwater Barrier, and some planes traveling so fast that the higher RPM's greatly increase the decibels. More strict idling needs to be addressed" Somebody should tell him that the designated take off and landing strips are no where near the breakwater.

I also liked his response to a question about how to increase the stock of affordable housing -
"Another part of my community developments platform is providing tax decrements for people who provide lower rent for our community volunteers and employees, or sponsor or participate in our community investments and community developments in helping us build a social and economic development infrastructure on the backbone of our transportation and green community infrastructure."

I got lost halfway through this sentence - I think right after the word "employees". I guess he wants to provide subsidized housing for all employed people???? Wow, thats ambitious! If I was him I'd just stick to helping poor people!
Pieta VanDyke

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

He is a fascinating person, I can tell you. Basically, he wants to create a combination commuter ferry/commuter rail network with the profits going to fund social issues.

#3 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

He ran for mayor in 2008. I have been helping him since 2007, mostly on the transit and rail issues. I put together powerpoint presentations for him which were presented to both BC Transit and the Ministry of Insfrastructure in 2008. There was interest. I continue to help him when I can.

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

He is a fascinating person, I can tell you. Basically, he wants to create a combination commuter ferry/commuter rail network with the profits going to fund social issues.

Profits???? Who is going to pay the fares necessary to make any commuter system profitable?

Fascinating may be one word to describe him, I can think of a couple of others though that may be more appropriate.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

Profits???? Who is going to pay the fares necessary to make any commuter system profitable?

Fascinating may be one word to describe him, I can think of a couple of others though that may be more appropriate.

Give him credit for trying, which is a lot more than some people out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users