Meet Wayne Spencer, for Central Saanich Council

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne Spencer

Wayne Spencer
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hello Central Saanich,

My name is Wayne Spencer and I am running for council in Central Saanich. This is my first foray into politics but felt the need to get involved to help keep our community the amazing community we all moved to.

I moved here in August 2003 from Saanich and before that Calgary in 1998. I moved to Brentwood Bay for the amazing mix of rural and urban lifestyle that is Central Saanich. I like that we have farmland throughout the municipality and want to help preserve farmland for the future residents of Central Saanich. We have been losing farmland to dumping, development and subdivision since the inception in 1972. It is time to stop allowing farmland being broken into small parcels of land that are not sustainable as farms and from land owners allowing fill from being deposited into the fields.

Central Saanich needs some expansion in order to help keep taxes from large increases but we do not need big box stores (other than a lumber store) that drive our local business owners out of business. We need to seek out the right mix of business and light industry that will give residents jobs close to home and bring residents from other municipalities to our businesses.

Every candidate running now has stated that they support transparency in council and that if elected they would bring forward or support a motion to record motions, seconders and votes. I ask why, if the majority of the current council is running now (5 of 7), is this still an issue? How many candidates in this election are letting you know who is funding them? To the best of my knowledge I am the only one that clearly says the maximum I will spend and who is funding me. I am spending less than $900 and other then immediate family am I self funding. I firmly believe that transparent governance starts with open and honest people. Who are we really voting for? The saying “it is better to own a politician then to be one” says a lot about the state of Western Politics.

for more information see my website http://waynespencer.ca/

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Wayne Spencer, CGA

#2 Wayne Spencer

Wayne Spencer
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Hi again,

In the previous post I had the wrong year that I moved to Central Saanich. 2003 was the year my second son was born I moved to Brentwood bay in 2008.

Wayne Spencer, CGA

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Wayne.

#4 Wayne Spencer

Wayne Spencer
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

Good Morning Central Saanich,
I see that there is a new flyer out that is attempting to promote one group over another. I think that a smear campaign aimed at one group or an individual is neither called for nor necessary. A flyer that attacks someone and gives no place for rebuttal is something that I think is more like a “rag mag”. This type of publication should have no bearing on your vote.

What this flyer should do is show you the three sides that are in the council running. There is the Rate payers that stand for the residents, the developers that stand for building high density and making lots of money for the companies and then those of us not mentioned in the flyer. Those of us that stand for talking to the residents (like the rate payers) and a healthy mix of development to increase our tax base (like the developers).
The group that sent out the defamatory flyer is the group that brought us the Senanus water line and the group they are supporting is very predevelopment. As I have said before as votes we need to look at not just the person but WHO is standing in the background and what that person is really after.

Let’s send a message that we want open and honest communication.

Wayne Spencer, CGA

#5 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hello Wayne,

Best of luck to you. I voted yesterday to get it over with. Turnout for the advance poll was impressive.

It would be interesting to see the pamphlet, but you probably don't want to feed the beast by circulating it here.

I couldn't put a finger on it, but agree that something about Senanus does not smell right. You're on to something.

Interesting that Ron Kubek isn't running this time.

Rgds

#6 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

I just read the letter. You're right. This is a rotten smear campaign - slanted, saturated with cheap shots and unsubstantiated innuendo. If I was one of the candidates targeted, I'd get a lawyer.

The author of this tripe doesn't even have the guts to put his/her name on it. There is just a little fine print blurb at the bottom: "Paid for by CSWVA." Ahhh. CSWVA = "Central Saanich West Voters Association."

It seems the CSWVA is out to attack anybody who did not support their push for taxpayer-paid water infrastructure along Senanus. That boondoggle cost taxpayers a fortune.

Woo. This is EVIL.

Nobody tells me who to vote for. I am going to make it a point to inform friends and family about this garbage. Thank goodness I DID NOT AND WILL NEVER VOTE FOR THESE PEOPLE:

- John Garrison
- Barry Siklenka
- Cathy Ounsted
- Carl Jensen
- Alastair Bryson

BAD FORM, PEOPLE! CHEAP POLITICS! YOU DON'T DESERVE OFFICE!

#7 Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

"the developers that stand for building high density and making lots of money for the companies"

Wayne - if you are going to respond to the mailing that you disagree with by saying you want honest communication, you had better preach that yourself! The above statement made by you is so wrong in fact - no where in anyone's campaign material is this type of approach for Central Saanich mentioned or intended. You are obviously no better at honesty than anyone you are attempting to challenge as lacking this value.

#8 Yippy Ki A

Yippy Ki A
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

Sounds like Mr Spencer is using Vibrant Victoria as a flyer of his own, free one at that.

#9 Wayne Spencer

Wayne Spencer
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Ryan,

I think you may have mistaken my view as what I read somewhere. Firstly. any company that is not out to make money while likely not be around for long. Secondly Just because someone does not say something does not mean they do not think it.

I am not pointing fingers I only want everybody to think about what they are voting for. I am not part of any slate, I am not being funded by business or any other special interest group. I am not against any development I don't think that receiving campaign funds means you are going to owe something in the future and I honestly believe that every candidate running as good intentions for the community.

My point of the earlier post is to say that what one group believes it's side is the right side they will defend it. Both the CSWVA (with their flyer) and the Rate payers (with their lawsuit) believe that they were doing what they thought was best for the community.

I firmly believe that all citizens have a right to municipal water. I believe that increasing the tax base is a necessity and I believe that if it takes a lawsuit by Central Saanich Citizens to hold Council accountable to the tax payers then Council is at fault.

Wayne Spencer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users