Photo

Safety

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you think is Victoria's safest municipality. (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you think is Victoria's safest municipality.

1. Victoria (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. Saanich (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

3. Lanford (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Sooke (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Esquimalt (0 votes [0.00%])

6. View Royal (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

7. Colwood (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Oak Bay (5 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

9. Other municipality (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

10. All are a just as safe (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jeffamartin1970

Jeffamartin1970
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

Safety is a big issue fro many in Greater Victoria. Especially for seniors. Business owners want greater police presence.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:33 AM

You're more likely to come across crime in centres with larger populations, but on the flip side you're safer where there are larger concentrations of people out and about. So what to do, what to do!?

I feel safer walking through downtown at 12AM than I do when walking through Langford or Colwood late at night (back in high school I had a few of those walks, unfortunately).

Safety is different for everyone but I wouldn't necessarily say one municipality is safer or less safer over any others.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

Metchosin (when there isn't a William Head break-out).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

The basic rule is that the more people the more crime. It's the only factor that can actually be proven to have some bearing on the crime statistics.

The safest areas are the least populated areas, so I have to agree that the rural character of Metchosin would make it generally safer than any of the others mentioned.

Oak Bay does not even have the capacity to investigate murders and recently contracted that out to Saanich. I think Oak Bay has an appearance of safety rather than any genuine safety beyond the other communities.

On the whole, in spite of what you see on TV or read in the newspaper, the greater Victoria area is quite safe and your statistical chances of being a victim of crime are quite low.

Also, the police service in Victoria is of a very high standard in every significant respect. Being that their failures are trumpeted and their successes are overlooked, it's no wonder people have the belief that their safety is diminishing.

Are seniors being mugged routinely or something? What the issue is, is fear of crime, not actual crime IMHO. This reality implies a much different approach than addressing an actual increase in crime.

#5 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:51 AM

I voted other....Metchosin - North Saanich

#6 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

I live downtown, and I don't feel unsafe. Are there people on the streets? Yes, and although I am asked for change, I'm not being attacked. Are the druggies in the 800 block of Cormorant dangerous? No, but they're dirty, noisy, and tragic. I don't walk down that block, it isn't because I'm scared but because I find it depressing.

I don't find any part of the CRD unsafe. The only "street violence" that seems to be committed downtown is yahoos that come downtown to the "trashy" bars.

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:43 AM

This all depends on if you mean per capita or in terms of land area. Downtown would be horribly unsafe using the criteria of area, but on a per-capita basis, it's probably not too bad given it's population density.

I'm the same as Walter, i live right downtown and almost never feel nervous or unsafe anywhere in greater Victoria.
In chains by Keynes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users