4 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

Babe's sell-off complete

The final asset of the former Babe's Honey Farm has been sold.

B-C Supreme Court has approved the foreclosure sale of the farm property in Saanich to Don Mann Excavating, at a price of 725 thousand dollars. Other assets, from farm machinery to honey, and the bees that produced it, were disposed of by auction earlier.

[...]

Source

That's too bad, it was good honey and I liked getting a local product :(

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

Word is that the soil was rendered unsuitable for food after tonnes of soil from Uptown was dumped on the property. I don't know which excavating firm was responsible but wouldn't it be ironic ....

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

The jar of Babe's I bought at the liquidation sale is almost gone. For me, the end of an era for one of the area's best known local products. I have not seen a comparable product in supermarkets. I guess we will have to go to farmers' markets for local honey. It makes me sad to see such a great old company torn apart by one bad person.

#4 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:38 PM

There's lots of great local honey available at the Root Cellar, fyi.

Matt.

#5 Ryan Windsor

Ryan Windsor
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBrentwood Bay

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Getting Honey at the Farmers Markets around the Peninsula and Victoria sounds like a great way to support them when they are around. Going to the root cellar in the off season is a great alternative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users