Photo

Fernwood Inn | Victoria | 1302 Gladstone Ave.

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

You forgot Victoria's House of Blues :)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Inn ignores meltdown
Fernwood eatery revenues rise 25 per cent during past year

The Fernwood Inn is a popular neighbourhood haunt.
Photograph by: Bruce Stotesbury, Times Colonist

By Darron Kloster, Times Colonist
October 3, 2009

Business has been good at the Fernwood Inn.

So good that Michael Colwill says one of history's sharpest economic declines hasn't left so much as a smudge of red on the eatery's books.

The lead of the ownership group behind the popular pub and restaurant in the Fernwood neighbourhood says revenues are up 25 per cent since the start of the global financial meltdown a year ago...

http://www.timescolo...3137/story.html

#23 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:41 PM

I decided to give Fernwood Inn a try.

The food was mediocre at best. My chicken sandwich was a far cry from similar offerings at other restaurants. The chicken tasted like the Sysco brand of minced white chicken meat that is shaped into a chicken breast and sold to restaurants complete with a tasteless barbecue glazing. On top was a slice of brie cheese that tastewise did not compliment the chicken in any way. The sandwich was topped off with tomato and greenleaf lettuce and served on a ciabatta bun (the bun I quite liked).

My fairly small cup of white pea soup had what appeared to be a lot of ingredients but there was no taste to the soup whatsoever. The meal was $13 plus HST.

Although I am no fan of Spinnaker's menu I'll have to say that Spinnaker's may win won out over Fernwood Inn.

#24 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

^ Wow, I find that surprising. I've only been there a handful of times, but it's possibly my favourite "pub" food in the city. I use the quotation marks because while it's a pub atmosphere, the menu selection is a cut above standard pub fare. I guess every place has its good days and bad days though, and can't please everyone.

#25 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

In my opinion the finest neighbourhood pub food in Victoria is at Fifth Street Bar and Grill (Fifth St. at Hillside). The prices are the most reasonable of any of the better neighbourhood pubs in the city and the food has a touch of quality that is becoming a rarity in Victoria.

If my suspicions are correct Fernwood Inn's food is not made from scratch or at least whoever prepared it doesn't have a good grasp of proper seasoning. For a soup loaded with ingredients to have no taste is an oddity, alright.

#26 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

In my opinion the finest neighbourhood pub food in Victoria is at Fifth Street Bar and Grill (Fifth St. at Hillside). The prices are the most reasonable of any of the better neighbourhood pubs in the city and the food has a touch of quality that is becoming a rarity in Victoria.

If my suspicions are correct Fernwood Inn's food is not made from scratch or at least whoever prepared it doesn't have a good grasp of proper seasoning. For a soup loaded with ingredients to have no taste is an oddity, alright.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the meal there. I'm very surprised that you didnt like the soup - we've won awards from EAT Magazine for our soups. That said, split pea isn't the most exciting soup, seasoning-wise.

I'll also admit that I've probably only ever had the chicken sandwich once and I'd say that it isn't our biggest seller. The only thing not made in house is the bread and the head chef is formerly of Sauce. I'm not sure to whom you are comparing menu offerings, but $13 is not unreasonable. As for rating us below Spinnaker's...wow. I'm not going to besmirch a fellow industry member, but that hurts!!

Do me a favour: don't judge us based on one entree. Go in and try something else. My personal favourites are the steak sandwich, tuna tataki (I've heard on numerous and separate occasions that it is the best in the city) and prawn fettucini.

If you are still not swayed after that, pm me and I'll make sure that you get satisfaction. Cheers.

#27 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Agreed on the tuna tataki. My friends and I often end up ordering multiple servings of it at once. As for an entrée, I usually get the halibut avocado burger. Fantastic every time.

#28 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

I'll take you on - 5th Street consistently is a negative. Lunch/Dinner 4 times (clients paid) in the last 6 weeks. During one lunch, TV sound from the bar leaked into the restaurant side, and competed with whatever load Jazz they had playing. Lunch food came out cold, 2 plates also returned as not what the person ordered.

2nd drink/snacks in the bar side. Hockey game was on, with maybe 2 people out of the 15 at the time actually watching. So loud we had to repeat orders twice - asked to turn it down a bit and told 'maybe you need to find another place to meet' (that is a quote).

3rd drink/snacks in the bar side. No hockey game, poker stars on TV, and service took endless minutes.

Dinner, 4th try - to prove a negative. this was actually good. Service was fast, friendly and decent (restaurant side). Food was quote good, and the server (and kitchen) got all the off-menu requests.

Hit and miss. Get the timing right with good staff, then 5th St. makes sense

#29 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:59 PM

mat, wrong items delivered to your table and loud televisions does not say anything about the food and I assume you returned your cold lunch order if two orders at your table not the correct plates?

Only your last visit rates the food and you say it was "quite good" so I don't understand what you mean by taking me on. 5th Street is a great place for pub fare but granted the atmosphere may not suit everyone.

Bob, your feedback is appreciated.

#30 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:28 PM

2nd drink/snacks in the bar side. Hockey game was on, with maybe 2 people out of the 15 at the time actually watching. So loud we had to repeat orders twice - asked to turn it down a bit and told 'maybe you need to find another place to meet' (that is a quote).

In general I love 5th st, but I had that happen to me too. And it wasn't even during them game, but between periods, and I was essentially told to go stuff myself. Such a nice pub too bad they want to be a sports bar half the time.

#31 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:05 AM

mat, wrong items delivered to your table and loud televisions does not say anything about the food and I assume you returned your cold lunch order if two orders at your table not the correct plates?

Only your last visit rates the food and you say it was "quite good" so I don't understand what you mean by taking me on. 5th Street is a great place for pub fare but granted the atmosphere may not suit everyone.

Bob, your feedback is appreciated.

Frankly, I'll 'take you on' - as you posted a booster for 5th St. Nothing to do with personality, or VV profile, simply - you did a general positive post, I differed. So go restaurant reviews...

Would you agree that venues not only have to provide decent food, along with an 'space'? Problem with 5th St, it is not consistent - hence, we go elsewhere

#32 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

I'll take you on - 5th Street consistently is a negative. Lunch/Dinner 4 times (clients paid) in the last 6 weeks.

Hey Mat, I'll take the Pepsi Challenge vs 5th Street. Bring in your next four clients to the Fernwood and we'll see how your experiences rank. While I can't promise flawless food and service (which we do aspire towards, but there's no such thing as batting 1.000 in the service industry), I promise that no one will suggest for you to go elsewhere. ;)

#33 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

Would you agree that venues not only have to provide decent food, along with an 'space'?

For sure restaurants need more than good food but I was referring to 5th Street's food and not the ambiance. Ambiance and the restaurant space can change on a given night. All its takes is a family with a screaming baby and the best restaurant will leave a negative impression on someone.

Some of the worst holes in the wall can serve the best food, aka Pig, aka Hernadez before them and so on. 5th Street still serves up the best pub fare and ambiance aside it is a cut above.

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

I have eaten at both the Fifth Street Bar and Grill and the Fernwood Inn and have enjoyed the food and atmosphere on all occassions.

It is not so much the establishment that provides the atmosphere, but the patron who come with the attitude that that they will enjoy the company of their family and friends, rather than coming when pressed for time with an attitude that no restaurant will be able to please.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

I have eaten at both the Fifth Street Bar and Grill and the Fernwood Inn and have enjoyed the food and atmosphere on all occassions.

It is not so much the establishment that provides the atmosphere, but the patron who come with the attitude that that they will enjoy the company of their family and friends, rather than coming when pressed for time with an attitude that no restaurant will be able to please.

This is what I say, too. Then again, I'm not a picky eater, I can't think if I've ever in my life asked for a substitution or some special arrangement. If I don't understand some ingredients in the description, I just don't order it.

The only thing I don't like is not be acknowledged when arriving (or when the server first sees you, even just to says he/she with be with you as soon as possible), if it's a place you can seat yourself. I also find it strange that many people don't seat themselves, where that is allowable. I'm at the Sticky Wicket a few times a week, I'm always amazed how many people walk in, then have the hostess seat them, when the place might be only 1/4 full.

Oh, I guess it's even worse when the cause of the inattention is two or more servers chatting about their social lives, and not keeping an eye on the room. I mean it's a restaurant or pub, surely you need to always be ready for new arrivals, you don't want to have to have a freakin' door chime to get your attention.

Oh, and I guess I don't like severs going off shift asking me to pay my bill, just to make it easier for them and management. But we've covered that before.

To get back on track, I've only been to the Fernwood about 5 times since the new ownership, I like it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:26 AM

^ This looks like an ad. I am referring this to site admins.

#37 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

^ This looks like an ad. I am referring this to site admins.

Fair play - I actually poached this from VV's sister site, I (Heart) Downtown Victoria, so I thought that it was koshur to repost - that and it is for a performance art event.

#38 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Dylan - you can suck it. You can also suspend my account or delete it, for all I care. I'm done with this place. You are a prick and a bully.

#39 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

Bob, I am the peace keeper of the forum. I act in accordance with reason and sound judgement, enforcing rules the people of the forum have agreed to. Those who can't handle this are free to leave.

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hey you guys, calm down.

Both of you have had meaningful comments from time to time.

Go get drunk and make up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users