Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3390 replies to this topic

#2221 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:21 PM

Wow, that’s going up fast! (The modular housing)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2222 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

Trump Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney:

"We are desperate -- desperate -- for more people. We are running out of people to fuel the economic growth that we've had in our nation over the last four years. We need more immigrants."

#2223 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:39 PM

^ Just not black or brown ones...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2224 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:24 PM

And orange ones are in short supply.

#2225 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:48 AM

Some people are creating affordable housing for themselves! wow! novel! oh wait... but they might be making MONEY! 

From The Capital Daily:

There are an incredible 3,397 total Airbnb listings in the Capital Region

InsideAirbnb.com, a site that tracks the number of active Airbnb units around the world

Although Airbnb doesn’t release the data on the number of active units it represents, a new data analysis completed through the site InsideAirbnb.com has calculated that Greater Victoria has a grand total of 3,397 homes, apartments and rooms available for rent through the popular online lodging marketplace. Of these, 78% were listings for an entire home or apartment, as opposed to a rented room or a shared dorm. On average, the site estimated that Victoria Airbnb owners were earning $1,290 per month for their units. InsideAirbnb’s stated goal is to shed light on how Airbnb may be affecting municipal rental markets.

#2226 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:53 AM

and there are 162k occupied dwellings in victoria cma.  and 10k vacant.  the 2649 used for air bnb is small potatoes in the grand scheme.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 February 2020 - 08:54 AM.

• VIResident likes this

#2227 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

and there are 162k occupied dwellings in victoria cma.  and 10k vacant.  the 2649 used for air bnb is small potatoes in the grand scheme.

How many tax dollars are going into trying to enforce bylaws?  

#2228 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:14 PM

There are not 10k vacant dwellings.  There are 10k dwellings occupied by persons other than usual residents.  The largest cohort of which is students renting apartments who are counted in the census as residents from their home towns, and not here.  The perpetuation of the idea of scads of "empty homes" being hoarded away from the general public for questionable means needs to be stopped.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#2229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

Victoria also has one of the lowest “second home” or “vacant home” rates among Canadian cities: https://victoria.cit...tistics-canada/

Data for Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, London, Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon, Kelowna, St. John's and other census metropolitan areas revealed a lower ratio of full-time residences to part-time residences when compared to Victoria, while cities like Toronto, Montreal and Calgary were virtually equal to the south Island’s ratio.

The empty homes thing has always been much ado about nothing.
  • DavidL likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2230 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

This may be the City of Victoria's first step in creating an in-house social housing agency.

City of Victoria acquires Pandora Avenue land holdings across from Our Place shelter

Know it all.

#2231 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

i had to go back nearly a month (around april 17th) Helps said "the City was not in the housing business, didn't want to be in the housing business, had no intention of being in the housing business" in one of her daily speeches.. if this deal is true... that means she bold face lied (again) to the citizens of Victoria...

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#2232 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:57 PM

Lying is her specialty.

#2233 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 03:01 PM

what gets me - if this is an our place project - is that our place gets rewarded for such a “fabulous” job they’ve done while a place like anawim house that has better outcomes with less Hell for the neighbourhood goes unrecognized.
  • Nparker, kjf, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#2234 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:15 PM

I don't think Anawim has ever been in the good books of the local poverty industry.

Edit. I'd take 50 Anawim houses in my neighbourhood before I'd take even one Our Place.

Edited by Nparker, 09 May 2020 - 04:16 PM.

• kjf, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#2235 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:52 PM

^Too many success stories, can't make money that way.

• kjf and pennymurphy2000 like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2236 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:34 PM

what gets me - if this is an our place project - is that our place gets rewarded for such a “fabulous” job they’ve done while a place like anawim house that has better outcomes with less Hell for the neighbourhood goes unrecognized.

Anawym house is not low barrier. They actually expect their guests to contribute. All important factors in someone regaining a sense of self worth necessary to get over drugs or alcohol. Poverty pimps would never support that.
  • Nparker, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#2237 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 02:57 AM

my understanding is anawim is dry plus you have to do dishes and laundry and clean up after you take a shower or make a snack. none of that is required at our place.
  • pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#2238 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:36 AM

In other words you have to be a responsible adult. What a bizarre concept.
  • pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#2239 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:17 AM

Seems like Anawim takes and nutures people who are stabilized or sincerely intend to stabilize. Our Place takes in anybody, but I don't see anything obvious that would funnel an Our Place user to Anawim or something similar. 

If this new place is run more like Anawim it could work. But I don't understand Grant McKenzie's vision of a low barrier dining room. Did I interpret that correctly as a place for people who are barred from eating at Our Place?

#2240 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:33 AM

didn’t it say higher barrier? for poor people but not surrounded by crack addicts.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users