Photo

Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3492 replies to this topic

#2481 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:27 AM

But it’s so funny, that the country with the most empty land in the world has to look to Japan for inspiration on building fake islands (with land dug out from the empty land it already has).

That was my only objection - It would be China that would build the island for us and not Japan. In fact they could probably have the whole thing done in a week!

#2482 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:40 AM

I think the map M3m used is of a Japanese city :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2483 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:41 AM

The Chinese could still build a Japanese city if that was what we wanted. make take them a few days longer though due to supply chain delays.

• Mike K. likes this

#2484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:43 AM

If Midway had gone the other way Japan might be building Chinese cities in our harbour.

#2485 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 10:20 AM

Ontario Provincial plan for housing aims to:

• Increase density in neighbourhoods zoned exclusively for single-family homes.
  • Repeal municipal policies that focus on preserving a neighbourhood's character.
  • Set uniform provincial standards for urban design, including building shadows and setbacks.
  • Limit the time spent consulting the public on housing developments.
  • Legislate timelines for development approvals, and if the municipality misses the deadline, the project gets an automatic green light.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eport-1.6342470

Have to say I'm a fan, this is what we need in BC too.

#2486 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 11:43 AM

It's from Kobe, Japan.  They have a couple rather large man-made islands.  Lots of residential on each. 

#2487 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 12:41 PM

How about we start building housing west of Sooke, in some of the undeveloped 1,500 square kilometres of land we have out there?

Let's Langfordize everything and turn it into blasted, barren landscape with no trees and artiifical grass boulevards. Heat islands? Inefficient utlitities and transportation infrastructure? Long commutes?...ah whatever. Just cut it all down and blast the rest. We'll deal with the consequences later as we've learned nothing in the last 100 years.

Given the topography, it's interesting that you suggest west of Sooke and not Metchosin. Perhaps a little hometown bias?

#2488 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 12:42 PM

Nobody says there has to be a net loss of trees. It could be mandated to double the number of trees.

#2489 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 01:45 PM

Let's Langfordize everything and turn it into blasted, barren landscape with no trees and artiifical grass boulevards. Heat islands? Inefficient utlitities and transportation infrastructure? Long commutes?...ah whatever. Just cut it all down and blast the rest. We'll deal with the consequences later as we've learned nothing in the last 100 years.

Given the topography, it's interesting that you suggest west of Sooke and not Metchosin. Perhaps a little hometown bias?

Ok, north of Langford then. I'd be good with that, too.

But here's the thing. Development is already occurring there. But it's all ultra low density, because that's what the CRD wants (at the moment). Now, if we could just raise the density some, work in some central planning, etc., we'd be able to fit more homes, and more people.

Either way, it's happening. We can plan well from Step 1, or at Step 20. The choice is ours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2490 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 01:57 PM

And why are you so down on Langford, Tallguy? At least they build housing. Imagine if they built housing at the speed Saanich builds housing. If you think we have a problem now, you have no idea how messed up our situation would be if we looked to you guys for advice on housing delivery.

My gosh, Langford actually delivers housing stock and the angry Saanich guy goes bonkers.

What thread is this again?

• NinVic likes this

Know it all.

#2491 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 03:18 PM

Tallguy, have you ever been to Langford?

#2492 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:03 PM

I have once again completed the tiresome process to prove that I own and occupy my home in the City of Victoria as my principal residence. I ****ing hate having to do this every year for no good reason. Can someone offer up irrefutable evidence how the "speculation tax" has increased the supply of affordable housing in BC?

Relatedly, I will vote for the party that promises to abolish this ridiculous tax (and not replace it with something else) if elected.

#2493 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:09 PM

The Globe and Mail has an exclusive story reporting that an audit of BC Housing has been ordered by the province.

The B.C. government has ordered an internal review of its own housing agency, The Globe and Mail has learned, while the province’s Auditor-General is conducting two separate audits – all as BC Housing’s budget has exploded and the way it funds its non-profit partners has come under increased scrutiny.

Ernst & Young auditors are reviewing whether BC Housing has the capacity for an increased mandate, the Ministry of the Attorney-General, which is responsible for housing, confirmed in a statement. The decision to review the agency has not been made public, and non-profit groups it funds were unaware of it. The review is to be completed this spring.

https://www.theglobe...y-over-funding/

• newbie_01 likes this

#2494 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:14 PM

Wowzers!

Know it all.

#2495 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:14 PM

Long overdue, but I am doubtful the audit will produce any meaningful results.

#2496 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:18 PM

Well, it probably doesn't help that the CEO of BC Housing, who took over the Crown agency shortly after Gordon Campbell became premier 20 years ago, is married to the president of Atira Housing ...

#2497 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:21 PM

all as BC Housing’s budget has exploded and the way it funds its non-profit partners has come under increased scrutiny.

^ their budget wasn’t increased magically.
  • Nparker likes this

#2498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:29 PM

Their operations appeared to have grown substantially since the NDP took over power. Huge surge in BC Housing activity since the Liberals stepped aside.

I guess the question now is, was BCH under-funded during the Liberal era, making its current spending look relatively huge by comparison?

Know it all.

#2499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:34 PM

“Underfunded” is of course depending on point of view. Like housing “crisis” where we have more homes per person than any time in the last 2000 years.

#2500 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:44 PM

Well, it probably doesn't help that the CEO of BC Housing, who took over the Crown agency shortly after Gordon Campbell became premier 20 years ago, is married to the president of Atira Housing ...

PM'ed you.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users