Photo

Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3483 replies to this topic

#2601 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 08:55 AM

Maybe over regulation stimulates the problem? Personally I like the product AirBnB produces. But why hide that these developments are crowd sourced hotels? Perhaps because of regulations? IDK. Places like the Janion are perfect as that. It’s even zoned for it. The old hotel model is being replaced. No need to try to squash that to solve a problem that might not be solved by those actions. Plus existing zoning regulations are enough, they just aren’t enforced.

Certainly the STR regulations are enforced, it is a source of income for the CoV! They have a 3rd party in the US monitor all STR ads in Victoria and report any listing without a valid license number to staff.

The problem, as other have pointed out, is that most STRs were never going to be long term rentals anyways. That is why regulating them has had zero impact on availability or affordability of rental units. Politicians, desperate to try and show that they are doing something, keep rehashing the STR whipping post though as there is nobody left in the MSM to challenge them.

Edited by spanky123, 29 April 2022 - 08:57 AM.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#2602 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,839 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 03:52 PM

Two years ago, Ashlee Jessee moved from Victoria to Vernon, B.C., lured by the promise of more affordable housing in the province's Interior.

Now, she's living in a motel room, as the home affordability crisis spreads throughout the province.

Jessee, along with her partner and children, are among the 14 families who have been priced out in the North Okanagan and now find themselves living in one of the three motels operated by Turning Points Collaborative, a Vernon-based charity that is helping low-income people who have an immediate need for cheap housing amid a nationwide rental crunch.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...using-1.6435110

But in a municipality that isn't subject to the provincial speculation tax, private apartment vacancy has been dropping rapidly: data from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) indicates that the vacancy rate in Vernon dropped from 1.9 per cent in 2019 to 0.7 per cent last year, which has pushed the average monthly rent of a two-bedroom apartment from $1,080 to $1,253.

No indication in the story why a couple such as them can’t afford an apartment.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 May 2022 - 03:54 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#2603 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 03:59 PM

...No indication in the story why a couple such as them can’t afford an apartment.

You expected more from the CBC?

#2604 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 05:48 PM

Two bedroom apartment for $1,000 US a month? How many cities in the developed world do you think you could rent a decent place for that amount?

If they each had minimum wage jobs they would be bringing in about $5200 CAD a month.

Edited by spanky123, 02 May 2022 - 05:49 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2605 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,839 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 05:55 PM

You expected more from the CBC?

I did expect slightly more. They went to a very low rent city and they are still complaining.

You don’t deserve housing if you refuse to work.

#2606 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,839 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 07:51 PM

Article:

She says navigating the overheated rental market with two young kids has been one of the most difficult experiences of her life.

"It was honestly terrifying," she told host Chris Walker on CBC's Daybreak South. "I used to deal with housing issues all the time when I was by myself, but this was the first time that I dealt with it with my children."

"I was very scared for them."

FFS. It was $1200 a month, tops. If that terrifies you, you are mentally ill. Turn your kids in.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 May 2022 - 07:53 PM.

#2607 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 May 2022 - 07:49 AM

She's getting that much from the government just for having the kids probably. There must be more to this story.

• Nparker likes this

#2608 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,839 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 07:54 AM

Absent from the story of course was what her and her partner normally do to earn money. People don’t usually just move hundreds of miles for the cheapest housing, if income (generating) is also an issue.

Now, if she has been on lifelong benefits/welfare, say that in the story.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 May 2022 - 07:55 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#2609 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:31 AM

"Bill 12 merely states that the details will be provided at some later date by “regulation.” Regulations are not laws debated and passed by legislatures. They are rules made outside the legislative process by ministers or government departments."

The last two years have give us all a preview of this new normal.... 

• Nparker likes this

#2610 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:32 AM

"Bill 12 merely states that the details will be provided at some later date by “regulation.” Regulations are not laws debated and passed by legislatures. They are rules made outside the legislative process by ministers or government departments."

#2611 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:33 AM

I blame the idiots who gave the NDP a huge majority in the last provincial election.

#2612 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:33 AM

I guess now they are coming for the home owners  :banana:

#2613 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:34 AM

I blame the idiots who gave the NDP a huge majority in the last provincial election.

We need the Natural Law party back! 

#2614 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:35 AM

I'd be tempted to vote for an anarchists party at this point. Not sure it could be much worse than what we have now.

• dasmo likes this

#2615 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:42 AM

I hear you. I wish a solid party would be formed that was a bout making the government tax administrators and removing these mechanisms enabling their ruler behaviour from our rule books.... 

#2616 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 09:01 AM

As I said yesterday in a separate thread, we live in dangerous times. As Governments struggle to fund their social experiments and related debts, they will start reaching more and more into every potential dark corner for money. It won't stop at seizing the assets of the "rich" as we are seeing now.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#2617 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 09:50 AM

As I said yesterday in a separate thread, we live in dangerous times. As Governments struggle to fund their social experiments and related debts, they will start reaching more and more into every potential dark corner for money. It won't stop at seizing the assets of the "rich" as we are seeing now.

At least this isn't sliding past the radar. Maybe there will be some who are in the right position and have the right inclination to push back against this sort of open ended "legislation".

#2618 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,839 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 10:05 AM

At least this isn't sliding past the radar. Maybe there will be some who are in the right position and have the right inclination to push back against this sort of open ended "legislation".

For starters, the opposition party should shout.  Then the media should give them some airtime.

• Nparker likes this

#2619 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,839 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 04:39 AM

Developer pens op/ed in favour of creating more housing in the core.

This week Victoria City Council will be deliberating a policy reform that would seek to increase housing choices in “traditional residential neighbourhoods.” These new housing forms—referred to as the “missing middle”—are the housing types in between single-family homes and high-rise apartments. It’s an apt name for two reasons: first, these housing forms currently represent less than 10% of Victoria's housing stock, and second, it’s currently illegal to build them on 67% of Victoria’s residential land. 

https://www.capitald...using-decisions

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 May 2022 - 04:39 AM.

#2620 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 06:22 AM

^ So multi-family homes are "illegal" in 67% of Victoria or they just require rezoning? The CD isn't known for fact checking.

The proposal is very interesting, elimination of huge amounts of green space, reduction of parking requirements down to 1 stall per 6 homes, $50K to $70K per site paid by the developer to the City. I don't see too many changes that are actually beneficial to young families trying to find an affordable home. The streets will become parking lots which are unsafe for both cyclists and pedestrians (City solution is to hire more parking enforcement people) and in my opinion the density will just be directed to lower income areas of town as the Mayor and councilors pressure City staff to decline applications where they and their friends live.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users