Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3483 replies to this topic

#2841 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:16 AM

But probably the best thing about unifying everyone and everything into one smart grid is that big nanny can look after you better…
“ As part of the program, the company can adjust customers' thermostats remotely. "During summer peak energy demand days, we may briefly adjust your thermostat settings by a few degrees. We’ll do this only as needed," according to the CPS Energy website.

A similar program called Smart Savers Texas allows for thermostat temperatures to be altered remotely during peak energy events.”
https://www.usatoday...why/7754658002/

#2842 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:18 AM

Or look after the climate I mean. You’re nanny app will tell you to put on a sweater or go to a warming station.

#2843 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:19 AM

Electric baseboard heating is only efficient in terms of equipment cost. And yes theoretical efficiency.

But you can use heat pumps in our climate at least 330 days per year and be 2-3X more efficient than any form of electric resistive heating.

The difficulty is the backup you need for those other 35 days. You might need a secondary system.

You can just freeze for those 35 days.

• dasmo likes this

#2844 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:20 AM

In that story they turned the temperature up in the summer. I guess to flatten the curve.

#2845 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:20 AM

It should be REQUIRED that every home has a display - in dollars - showing your current electricity consumption. It’s been shown to be very effective psychologically to have this type of DEDICATED display. Not just a way to look this up on your computer or smart phone.

If you look at that thing and for example it’s showing you $4 an hour, you’ll go looking for ways to drive it back down under $2.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2022 - 05:22 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#2846 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:22 AM

It should be REQUIRED that every home has a display - in dollars - showing your current electricity consumption. It’s been shown to be very effective psychologically to have this type of DEDICATED display. Not just a way to look this up on your computer or smart phone.

And then make it available to all of your neighbours as well so that we can shame those who use too much electricity.

• dasmo likes this

#2847 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:24 AM

^ exactly.

And then we should also have a light beacon in the palm of our hands that shows us it’s time to “renew!” at 30 years of age. And make your way to the Carrousel. That’ll save our healthcare system too.

Combined with a system to catch runners.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2022 - 05:26 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#2848 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:39 AM

And then make it available to all of your neighbours as well so that we can shame those who use too much electricity.

This is called the social credit system. Already in full play in China. So while sarcastic it is also realistic as it’s just a short plane ride away.

#2849 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:20 AM

Two costing analyses found that incremental capital costs for all building types fell within a range of 0.1 per cent in savings to increased costs up to 2.2 per cent. Operational cost impacts ranged from a savings of seven per cent to an annual increase of 2.2 per cent.

https://www.vicnews....f-b-c-timeline/

Those are fishy numbers.

I built my house out of ICF blocks. For longevity and efficiency.  Costing analysis said it would be 3-5% more than wood frame envelope. It was more like 50%-70% more. 

• LJ, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#2850 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, cause that works so well with celebrity hypocrites... not.

#2851 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:39 AM

I think this should be the official VV sarcasm emoji  :thumbsup:

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#2852 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:40 AM

Of course. Always is.

Manufacturers use best-case scenario figures when promoting their products. Contractors tell you what you want to hear. Then the inevitable happens.
  • Nparker, dasmo and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2853 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:51 AM

And politicians only care as far as the next election cycle.

• Barrrister likes this

#2854 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:12 AM

That’s a point that is often brought up. What happens when all the vehicles and all the houses are on the electricity grid for everything?

If people are consuming too much electricity, water, etc. then the price will be raised as punishment.

If people are consuming too little electricity, water, etc. then the price will be raised out of necessity.

If people are consuming an appropriate amount of electricity, water, etc. then they will be encouraged to adjust their usage.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#2855 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:13 AM

...politicians only care as far as the next election cycle.

When have we ever seen any evidence that politicians actually care?

#2856 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:13 AM

It's the stick vs. stick method.

• aastra likes this

#2857 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:14 AM

Of course. Always is.

Manufacturers use best-case scenario figures when promoting their products. Contractors tell you what you want to hear. Then the inevitable happens.

Some of it comes down to inexperienced crews.  In theory the ICF was only to be 5% more expensive.  Then along comes the crew that has never used it before.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2022 - 09:15 AM.

#2858 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:18 AM

Yes, precisely. That’s one of the big issues with mass timber. It’s great in theory, but local crews are still grappling with how to build with the material.

We’ve seen two mass timber towers nixed in the CRD, one was Tresah switching to steel and concrete, the other was GVHS cancelling its 15-storey Belmont Road tower in favour of a six-storey woodframe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2859 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:23 AM

Some of it comes down to inexperienced crews.  In theory the ICF was only to be 5% more expensive.  Then along comes the crew that has never used it before.

My crew specialized in it. It is why I chose them. The engineers didn't help. The builder said my walls had twice the steel than any other they had built. seismic code.... 

Plus let's not discount the criminal element. In my case literally. I did get them to give me back $11K that they were trying to steel through double charging PST. But that I could prove and that is a criminal offence that comes with jail time. 

That said there was a building boom blossoming in the middle of my build so a wood frame envelope would also have been more expensive. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2860 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:24 AM

It's the stick vs. stick method.

You make it sound so crude. I'm pretty sure it would be called "truncheon versus bastinado" in enlightened modern parlance.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users