Photo

Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3390 replies to this topic

#681 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

I'm not so sure we should make a stink...It's a private owner.  Making questionable business decisions, for sure....

I am not saying that having council intervene in this issue is the right thing to do from a societal standpoint, I'd just like to see them expend all their time and energy on this matter so they can't interfere with everything else. 

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#682 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

Maybe the city is planning on buying VT and filling it with, well you know, all her supporters, should still be room left over.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#683 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

A reasonably sensible letter from Jonathan Tinney, the CoV's director of sustainable planning:

...At the City of Victoria’s planning department, where I work, we spend a great deal of time looking not only at what is happening, but also why it’s occurring. Housing affordability is a complex issue, but at its core is some simple arithmetic. Over each of the past five years, the city of Victoria saw 1,300 new residents call the city home. This created the need for between 600 and 700 new housing units annually to accommodate them. But we saw only an average of 450 units get built. This annual shortfall ate into the vacancy rate and other available supply, but we’ve now reached a point where that cushion is no longer available. The only way to solve the problem is to increase the number of units entering the market to meet the demand...

http://www.timescolo...enge-1.22012156

Of course, the real problem lies with trying to convince the NIMBYs of this. Every time a project with even the slightest increase in density is suggested in practically any neighbourhood, almost without fail, it is met with anger and pushback.  :whyme:

#684 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

What about the bureaucratic obstacles, expenses and speedbumps laid down by CoV? Does he acknowledge any of that?

#685 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

A reasonably sensible letter from Jonathan Tinney, the CoV's director of sustainable planning:

Of course, the real problem lies with trying to convince the NIMBYs of this. Every time a project with even the slightest increase in density is suggested in practically any neighbourhood, almost without fail, it is met with anger and pushback.  :whyme:

Fair enough but what is wrong with a group of people, who have lived in an area for years, not wanting to see substantial change to their neighbourhood? 

#686 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

What about the bureaucratic obstacles, expenses and speedbumps laid down by CoV? Does he acknowledge any of that?

Not to the extent that it would cost him his job.

#687 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

...what is wrong with a group of people, who have lived in an area for years, not wanting to see substantial change to their neighbourhood? 

Life is about change. If you don't want to see change then death is pretty much your only option. 

#688 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

Life is about change. If you don't want to see change then death is pretty much your only option. 

I think that you can still have lots of change with the 'no vacancy' sign being posted. 

I am surprised that the greenies seem to be ok with a ratio of 1.8 people for every new house, condo or apartment that gets built in the CoV. You would think that they would be all over the communal living thing and demanding much more efficient use of space.

#689 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

I think that you can still have lots of change with the 'no vacancy' sign being posted...

So it was OK for the people who currently live here to have changed the environment of the smaller population that preceded them, but now no newcomers are allowed? A what point is a living city full?

#690 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

So it was OK for the people who currently live here to have changed the environment of the smaller population that preceded them, but now no newcomers are allowed? A what point is a living city full?

The GVD larger grew through expansion over the past 100 years. Since we have no more room, most new proposals are looking towards increased density instead. I lived in 'increased density' for years, even lived in close proximity to several high rise, affordable housing projects. Didn't like it which is why I purchased a place that was not like that. I think that my neighbours and I have every right to have a say in how our immediate area is developed. If one of my neighbours wants to re-zone his property and build a high rise so that he can make a quick buck and then take off we should be able to say no.

#691 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

The GVD larger grew through expansion over the past 100 years. Since we have no more room, ...

???

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-08-21-11-23-13.png

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#692 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

^ Ok let me rephrase that, no more room in the core. Suggesting that people might live in areas a little further away from town would be blasphemy. The homeless and poor should be able to live whether they want.

Edited by spanky123, 21 August 2017 - 10:33 AM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#693 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

... I think that my neighbours and I have every right to have a say in how our immediate area is developed...

I guess it's a good thing the people who lived there before your home was built didn't have the same feelings.

• weirdie likes this

#694 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

There is an unoccupied house for re-sale in Vancouver on the Cambie corridor, it sold for $5M last year and they are now asking $11M. Corner lot.

#695 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

Good luck to them. If someone will pay it, wow.

#696 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

I posted this in another thread but due to the forest fires lumber prices have shot up 40-60% recently. This will do nothing but add to the cost of house building here, I guess we could go to steel studs etc.

Also Ontario is going to introduce a vacant house tax across the province. 

#697 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

Although this pertains to the US it is an interesting graphic on affordability in different cities...

https://howmuch.net/...-afford-to-live

#698 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

I posted this in another thread but due to the forest fires lumber prices have shot up 40-60% recently. This will do nothing but add to the cost of house building here, I guess we could go to steel studs etc.

Also Ontario is going to introduce a vacant house tax across the province. 

Lumber prices on average have increased about 40% in the last year, but that has nothing to do with the fires, that is mainly to do with the US softwood tariff and increased demand

Plywood prices have increased by about 70% over the last year.  That is partially to do with demand, but mainly have spiked in the last few months mainly because of the fires.  Most of the plywood plants were in the fire areas so either their supplies were reduced or they shut the plants down

There is no doubt that housing construction costs are skyrocketing.  Coupled with the rise in interest rates this morning it will be interesting

#699 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

This is the second 0.25% increase since July, and we could see another 0.25% jump by later this year or by early 2018. Those with variable rate mortgages are expected to feel the effect of this in the coming days.

These rate increases should come as no surprise following the federal government's "stress test" mortgage requirements.

Bank of Canada increases key lending rate to 1%; mortgages expected to rise by 0.25%

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#700 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

Meh. When I renewed my variable, it was at 1%, so now its back where it was. Shrug.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users