Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3390 replies to this topic

#841 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

Lower taxes would certainly spur more baby making than anything else. Lots of people can’t afford to have more than one child, and if it takes two people to make one kid pretty soon you run into trouble.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#842 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:50 PM

Heard about this study on the radio today.

https://www.marketwa...sion-2018-02-26

Matt.

#843 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

Not directly relevant to Victoria, but

The federal government is looking at a real estate developer’s proposal to build 50,000 units of affordable housing primarily in Toronto and Vancouver — a plan valued at as much as $14-billion that could become a big part of Ottawa’s national housing strategy.

According to a proposal submitted to Ottawa, the project would be led by the Creative Housing Society, an independent non-profit group to be based in Toronto. Creative Housing was established last fall by Ian Gillespie, a prominent Vancouver real estate developer whose firm, Westbank, is active in Toronto and Vancouver.

The founding partners of Creative Housing, according to the proposal, would be Westbank, Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corp. (CMHC), Allied Properties REIT and an investor such as a pension fund. The project would be open to other investors. The plan is to leverage public money with private-sector investments.

In the Creative Housing proposal, CMHC would be the primary lender. Institutional investors in the private sector, such as pension funds and insurers, would provide most of the equity capital. Westbank and Allied would also contribute some equity. Land owned by cities, provinces and the federal government would be used as building sites.

https://www.theglobe...able/?cmpid=rss

I imagine if/when the condo market slows down, capital could naturally divert to rental projects. 

#844 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

But how can that be? I thought only speculation taxes can solve our housing crisis, and not the supply of housing?
  • jonny and Janion Fan like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#845 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

A few years ago my daughter spent six months working in Brussels. She rented a room in a house, owner lived downstairs, and she and another girl shared a kitchen and bathroom. There was no way she could have afforded a place on her own, and she was working, not a student.

• Mike K. likes this

#846 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

But how can that be? I thought only speculation taxes can solve our housing crisis, and not the supply of housing?

Our recent "housing crisis" is a result of Ottawa increasing the quota of immigrants in 2016 from about 240K a year to 350K. I have no issues with immigration, but if you increase housing demand with 110K new people and your total annual increase in supply is flat at 220K homes then you are going to have a problem.

#847 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

Our recent "housing crisis" is a result of Ottawa increasing the quota of immigrants in 2016 from about 240K a year to 350K. I have no issues with immigration, but if you increase housing demand with 110K new people and your total annual increase in supply is flat at 220K homes then you are going to have a problem.

Our recent "crisis" excisted before 2016.

#848 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

There has certainly been a large disconnect between population growth (which is largely via immigration) and housing starts, particularly in Toronto and Vancouver.

We have tracked that phenomenon here at VV for years. It's only recently (in the last year or two) that housing starts have kept or exceeded the pace of population growth.

#849 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

Our recent "crisis" excisted before 2016.

We just had an interesting and enlightening article in the Richmond News about this. Metro Vancouver real estate headlines 30 years ago: http://www.richmond-...-ago-1.23199146

• Mattjvd likes this

#850 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

The housing crisis narrative in Victoria goes back pretty much to day one. The funny thing is, the current generation always wants to regard the prior generation's crisis as being much ado about nothing. Can a crisis really be genuine if it persists for more than a hundred years?

Jan 7, 1969

"Major Attack Organized on Housing" (article)

"Greater Victoria mayors Monday took a hard look at the year ahead and decided their number one problem is housing."

"...the four chief magistrates promised a broad attack on the problem of providing adequate housing, particularly for lower income groups."

Jan 7, 1969

"Mayoral Prescription" (editorial)

"The urgent need for housing accommodation within the reach of families of moderate and low income has been made plain in recent months."

"Housing Crisis Committee Set Up"

"One cannot deny the fact that Saanich...faces a housing crisis."

1947:

post-26-0-76771400-1472059023.png

1919:

post-26-0-34291000-1472059588.png

• Nparker and LJ like this

#851 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

The housing crisis narrative in Victoria goes back pretty much to day one. The funny thing is, the current generation always wants to regard the prior generation's crisis as being much ado about nothing. Can a crisis really be genuine if it persists for more than a hundred years?

1947:

post-26-0-76771400-1472059023.png

1919:

post-26-0-34291000-1472059588.png

Woah, I knew it had been going on for a while, but since 1919!
  • jonny likes this

#852 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

Not directly relevant to Victoria, but

https://www.theglobe...able/?cmpid=rss

I imagine if/when the condo market slows down, capital could naturally divert to rental projects. 

My issue with this is Allied and Westbank the sole developers for these project and can they charge whatever they want for construction costs (ie throw in a little equity and be guaranteed whatever profits they want) vs construction being publically tendered to the lowest competent bidder.

If that's the case TJV Construction* will throw in some money too.  My $2 million investment could easily make me $5+ million!

*not my real company name

#853 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

I think a crisis can happen again and again. There just isn’t an announcement when it’s over.
Anyway, I think I said it way back that my fear was heavy handed Government intervention and it looks like we got it. The spec tax will do nothing for affordability. How about removing dollar figures from house assessments and just going with an index number so the tax roll function is achieved? The letter in the mail telling everyone their house is worth 20% more this year was probably the biggest blow to affordability. Notice how all the asking prices are that much higher since?
  • DavidSchell and Awaiting Juno like this

#854 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

but speaking of taxes, frankly I am not sure why a nicer house should pay more in taxes than a crappy unkept one next door with an overgrown lawn.  Basically if you pay money and keep up your house you get penalized with more taxes?  Yup, that sounds fair  :whyme:

#855 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:58 AM

Tell me about it. Friends of mine bought a house, cleaned up the yard and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Their taxes were jacked up heavily the following year. Insane.

Know it all.

#856 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:00 AM

^ their assessed value also went up of course, which doesn't really mean anything.

Did they not pay a little less for the house than they could have if the house/yard had been in better shape to start off though?

#857 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

Yeah, the assessment went up. Can’t speak to the price but minor cosmetic things don’t change the price much.

Know it all.

#858 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:52 AM

Affordable housing development leaves neighbours concerned - Victoria News

A 90-unit proposal on Prosser Rd. is before Central Saanich council

MORE:

At a special committee of the whole meeting on Thursday, April 19, neighbours expressed concerns the building was too high and that an increase of cars would overwhelm their community and more residents would impact the transit system. 

90 units.  Central Saanich has 17,000 people and about 7,000 dwelling units. How are cars and numbers going to "overwhelm" the community?  This is a 1% increase.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 April 2018 - 06:56 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#859 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

Housing affordability is the #1 concern for EVERYONE in the CRD...until something is proposed for their neighbourhood.

#860 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

Central Saanich is a pretty big space, and not very dense. 90 new units is nothing.

Also, from the article:

While the surrounding buildings are mostly single-family homes, the overall height of the five-storey unit would only be one-metre higher than the surrounding townhouses. The site is on a hill, so the applicants plan to dig down and regrade the site to minimize its visual imposition on the community.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users