Photo

Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3483 replies to this topic

#1221 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:34 AM

90% of fast food workers live with their parents. The remainder live in shared accommodations with either a partner or a roommate.

Cite needed

• tedward and sdwright.vic like this

#1222 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

^ Here are some number on minimum wage earners, so take as you will since not all minimum wage earners are in fast food: https://www150.statc...e/54974-eng.htm

The basics: 45.6% do not live with parents and are not students. The remainder are either students aged 15 to 24 or non-students the same age living with their parents.

I don't know how much has changed since I worked at McD's a decade ago, but at most 50% of the staff at the stores I worked at lived at home. FWIW, I was at Sidney, Hillside, Shelbourne, and Pandora.

• tedward likes this

#1223 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

Dont forget, the faster a higher wage is pushed for McJobs the more justification for increased automation...like anything in this area, the cost benefit analysis defines the number of jobs...not political dogma

#1224 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

Minimum wage jobs are present across a massive spectrum and some also incorporate tips or commission, so the reported “wage” may actually be significantly below actual earnings.

With the rise of millennials choosing unemployment in lieu of being forced into employment via cultural pressures, financial pressures or for extra spending money, we’re also seeing retirees padding their pensions through minimum wage jobs. I know several myself and it’s not so much that they need the money but that they love being part of something meaningful.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1225 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:26 AM

Minimum wage jobs are present across a massive spectrum and some also incorporate tips or commission, so the reported “wage” may actually be significantly below actual earnings.

With the rise of millennials choosing unemployment in lieu of being forced into employment via cultural pressures, financial pressures or for extra spending money, we’re also seeing retirees padding their pensions through minimum wage jobs. I know several myself and it’s not so much that they need the money but that they love being part of something meaningful.

Millennials have one of the highest employment rates in Canada, at 86%, but nearly 50% of those employed are working below their qualifications. A significant portion of millennials are in temporary or contract jobs. Keep in mind that the millennial generation is the 25-34 cohort right now. I think you're talking about the 15-24 crowd.

The youth unemployment rate in Canada reached a record low in 2017 of 10%. The record high was 20% in 1982.

• Coreyburger and Mattjvd like this

#1226 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

Ah, thanks for that.

I suppose in popular culture the term millennial blankets all working age young people and those into their early 30's. What's the term for folks born after 1996?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1227 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:33 AM

Millennials have one of the highest employment rates in Canada, at 86%, but nearly 50% of those employed are working below their qualifications. A significant portion of millennials are in temporary or contract jobs. Keep in mind that the millennial generation is the 25-34 cohort right now. I think you're talking about the 15-24 crowd.

The youth unemployment rate in Canada reached a record low in 2017 of 10%. The record high was 20% in 1982.

The are no definite age ranges of the "millennial" generation" but demographers generally use the 1980 to 1999 birth years, so 38 to 19 year olds today.

Yeah, what RFS said below.

Edited by Mattjvd, 31 July 2018 - 10:49 AM.

#1228 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

Keep in mind that the millennial generation is the 25-34 cohort right now. I think you're talking about the 15-24 crowd.

From Wikipedia:

Millennials, also known as Generation Y, are the cohort of people following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid 1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years

Generation Z is the cohort of people born after the Millennials. Demographers and researchers typically use the mid-1990s to mid-2000s as starting birth years

#1229 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

The are no definite age ranges of the "millennial" generation" but demographers generally use the 1980 to 1999 birth years, so 38 to 19 year olds today.

Yes, all generations are fuzzy at the edges. Stats Can data is usually published with 5 or 10 year cohorts, so the 25-34 cohort generally captures what would be considered the millennial generation. 15-24 is the fuzzy edge, with some younger millennials and some Gen Z teens.

ANYWAYS. The bottom line is that Victoria (and much of BC) has generally lower paying jobs and higher living costs. There was an article the other day that Vancouver boasts real estate and rent prices akin to San Francisco, and wages equal to Columbus, Ohio. This was in fact an ironic selling point that Vancouver included in it's Amazon bid: tech worker salaries are much lower here than in other Pacific Northwest cities.

Edited by Jackerbie, 31 July 2018 - 10:49 AM.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#1230 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:00 AM

Seriously, Vancouver actively markets itself as a place where companies can expect to pay their workforce low salaries. These are from the Amazon bid I mentioned.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

#1231 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

So went to Timmies this morning on my way to the office. Not a worker in there was a millennial.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 31 July 2018 - 11:35 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1232 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:38 AM

Millennials aren't interested in McJobs to the same degrees teenagers were in the 80's and 90's. Today these kids would rather take writing courses paid for by mom and dad than earn some extra cash.

Think you could of saved yourself a lot of typing by just making some old man comment like...

Kids these day, why let me tell ya...
  • lanforod, thundergun and tjv like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1233 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

Think you could of saved yourself a lot of typing by just making some old man comment like...

Kids these day, why let me tell ya...

Yeah the idea that those darn kids are so lazy these days is as old as time itself.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

25-34 year olds with an 86% unemployment rate is par for the course?

Know it all.

#1235 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

25-34 year olds with an 86% unemployment rate is par for the course?

Stats Can divides the population into three mutually exclusive categories: employed, unemployed, and not in the labour force. As an interesting quirk, full time students are not counted in the employment or unemployment figures, as they are not considered as in the labour force. This is why the 15-24 cohort has an employment rate of only 51%.

86% is the employment rate for the 25-34 cohort. The employment rate nationally is 61%.

Edited by Jackerbie, 31 July 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#1236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

Oops, I read that as unemployment rate.  I thought was was insanely high.

Do we know what percentage of the 25-34 year-old cohort are considered full-time students?

Know it all.

#1237 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:41 PM

Oops, I read that as unemployment rate.  I thought was was insanely high.

Do we know what percentage of the 25-34 year-old cohort are considered full-time students?

Yah, the unemployment rate is around 6%. Not sure about the number of students, though

#1238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

Would it be 14% unemployed if 86% are employed?

Know it all.

#1239 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

This isn't possible. If your house is near Butchart Gardens, you must live in Brentwood Bay, or at the very least Central Saanich.

ok, and you don't live downtown as you have said in the past, you live in North Park represented by the powerful NPNA lobby

But then again I am not responsible for any of the many poor decisions and financial mismanagement of the CoV council either

But aren't cities meant to house the people who actually live and work there?

If people have a two hour commute, then why not just work there?

Oh, right because there are no jobs there.

Look not advocating for a welfare state. But when you can't afford to live where you work, that becomes an issue of the city actually being sustainable in the long term.

The McJob set are not going g ro commute two hours when there are local McJobs 15 minutes away, if you can't staff the McJobs, then you don't have the McJob places anymore. No one is going to want to travel 2 hours by bus/ car or whatever to work the low paying jobs that are required in a city.

ok, but a lot of people who work in Manhattan live in other states - New Jersey and Connecticut.

Are you saying its the governments responsibility to provide nice affordable housing, or perhaps subsidized housing for someone who works in fast food?

As for traveling for work, perhaps you don't remember deep recessions when even fast food places had stacks of resumes on file and you had to take what you can get.  Obviously not today in this economy, but it has happened in the past and it will again.

I chose to live where I live because I want a massive yard, a driveway where I can park 5 of the biggest RV's I can find and the only sounds I hear at night or in the morning are the birds.  Probably the same reason why a professional works in Manhattan, but wants to live in Connecticut so he can get a lawn, a driveway, and maybe a backyard pool.  Pretty hard to get that anywhere in NYC unless you are filthy filthy rich

90% of fast food workers live with their parents. The remainder live in shared accommodations with either a partner or a roommate.

From my experience I disagree.  I don't eat a lot of fast food, but I am generally talking about a lot of minimum wage type work

#1240 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

[quote name="tjv" post="448433" timestamp="1533079724"]ok, and you don't live downtown as you have said in the past, you live in North Park represented by the powerful NPNA lobby

But then again I am not responsible for any of the many poor decisions and financial mismanagement of the CoV council either

Are you saying its the governments responsibility to provide nice affordable housing, or perhaps subsidized housing for someone who works in fast food?

I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t but we now give free housing to drug addicts who trash what ever they are given .We pay for babysitting services and ask for nor expect nothing but problems in return.
At least providing housing for working poor feels better to me .
Low wage earners who are actually contributing something to society instead of always draining it .

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users