Photo

Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3390 replies to this topic

#1521 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

^^ that’s because you CAN’T fit more than one person in a 400 sqft apartment without a bed which is what we’re building now. A lot of those 70s boxes were also two bedroom.

400SF? Now that's luxe, I've got clients making me design 290-325SF suites regularly. Mind you, that's usually student housing and comes with a sweet built-in bed/storage combo...

We're all spoilt here in Canada, too used to living in spaces larger than a cupboard under the stairs, or a coffin.

/s obvs.

• Mike K., Nparker and N E Body like this

~ Jasmine ~

#1522 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

400SF? Now that's luxe, I've got clients making me design 290-325SF suites regularly. Mind you, that's usually student housing and comes with a sweet built-in bed/storage combo...

We're all spoilt here in Canada, too used to living in spaces larger than a cupboard under the stairs, or a coffin.

/s obvs.

I always laugh whenever I hear the comments on House Hunters International from North American people, especially Americans, about the small size of the accommodations being shown to them in other parts of the world. They always want the full size fridge and stove, the full size washer and dryer. Comparing bedrooms to the closets they have back home.

#1523 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:57 PM

A deal between the Capital Region Housing Corporation (CRHC), the City of Victoria and School District 61 is underway to create space for more affordable housing in Fernwood. The three parties entered into a Letter of Intent to redevelop the existing property and the land surrounding the townhouse complex at 1211 Gladstone Ave. The Caledonia Project is funded in part by the recently announced $492 million in provincial funding for affordable housing, as well as $1 million from the CHRC...

https://www.vicnews....rdable-housing/

#1524 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:51 PM

Nine-affordable-housing-projects-from-Sooke-to-Sidney-you-need-to-know-about.jpg
Knox Centre, a 42-unit affordable housing project nearing completion in Sooke's town centre, is one of nine below-market developments currently under construction in the Capital Region.

Nine affordable housing projects from Sooke to Sidney you need to know about

https://victoria.cit...-to-know-about/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1525 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Here is an example of a Garden Suite Rental at $2,200 includes utilities.

Seems reasonable to to me for both the owner and the tenant, but is this type of housing going to solve the affordable housing crisis?

https://www.usedvict...klands_32781577

• Nparker likes this

#1526 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:45 PM

Here is an example of a Garden Suite Rental at $2,200 includes utilities.

Seems reasonable to to me for both the owner and the tenant, but is this type of housing going to solve the affordable housing crisis?

https://www.usedvict...klands_32781577

600sqft for $2,200!... i knew rent was expensive but that seems rather small for that price point (and calling it a 2 bedroom).. isn't this the sort of thing the mayor wants to see more of and rent at a reduced rate capping at the $500 mark?

#1527 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

It’s not always the space but how it’s utilized. You can do a great deal with 600 square feet.

$2,200 is definitely on the higher end but not entirely out of touch. Brand new construction, modern efficiencies, parking and a “view” as they’re calling it. You’ll spend about $1,700 for a late 90’s or early 2000’s 1BR condo with parking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1528 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

600sqft for $2,200!... i knew rent was expensive but that seems rather small for that price point (and calling it a 2 bedroom).. isn't this the sort of thing the mayor wants to see more of and rent at a reduced rate capping at the $500 mark?

I think the $500 cap was if it was on wheels. 

#1529 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

I think the $500 cap was if it was on wheels. 

I didn't think it was limited to 'wheels' but I can't find the original reference to verify.

#1530 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

^ I think the Mayor was quoted as saying “if it didn’t work out then they could just move.”

I remember thinking “ to where”?

#1531 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

Apparently Saanich feels additional development fees will create more affordable housing.

[Saanich] Councillors were expected to approve a new system that would increase development cost charges (fees charged to a developer to cover infrastructure improvements such sewage, transportation, water and park development) by as much as 180 per cent in some cases...The proposed new rate, which would cover most of the municipality, is $13,498 for a single-family home and $7,624 per condo unit...Casey Edge, executive director of the Victoria Residential Builder’s Association...said...between development cost charges adding as much as $8,000 to the cost of a new home and new Step Code requirements — an amendment to the B.C. Building Code to address energy efficiency — that could add another $20,000 to the bill, people will be priced out of the market...

https://www.timescol...osts-1.23615217

#1532 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

Understandably municipalities have their expenses and they are drowning in costs trying to maintain existing infrastructure without pushing taxation rates through the roof, but you do have to wonder just how serious of a "crisis" we are in if government can arbitrarily push the cost of delivering a unit to market by 5% despite working towards helping solve the affordability and supply dilemma.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.

#1533 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:12 AM

Over the past year or so didn't the feds and the province deliver a truckload of funding that was supposed to assist with affordable housing? I seem to recall at least some mention of $100 million. Why isn't this money being used to reduce the municipal tax burden that maintaining infrastructure creates?

#1534 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:13 AM

This reinforces the reality I've spoken to before a group of investors last summer and the UDI's membership a couple of weeks back: home ownership is becoming untenable for average-income earners across this nation as we rapidly slide towards a European model of life-long renting.

Know it all.

#1535 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

Over the past year or so didn't the feds and the province deliver a truckload of funding that was supposed to assist with affordable housing? I seem to recall at least some mention of $100 million. Why isn't this money being used to reduce the municipal tax burden that maintaining infrastructure creates?

Affordable rental housing, yes, but measures to increase the ownership of housing is absent from the government's agenda. It's as though there is a concerted effort to push people into rental situations and keep them there.

Lack of supply forces housing prices to rise: check

Mortgage stress test diminishes buying power: check

Development costs put upwards pressure on housing costs: check

Work towards raising the key lending rate in rapid-fire succession: check

Flood the market with government-managed/financed/subsidized rentals: check

Describe secondary home owners or vacation home owners as speculators: check

Decry private rental development as taking advantage of renters (see Isitt's comments): check

Remove homeownership assistance measures (such as programs directed at self-employed purchasers): check

Infuse market rental projects with mandatory below-market units, thereby raising rents for remaining occupants: check

• rjag, sebberry, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#1536 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:27 AM

This reinforces the reality I've spoken to before a group of investors last summer and the UDI's membership a couple of weeks back: home ownership is becoming untenable for average-income earners across this nation as we rapidly slide towards a European model of life-long renting.

Across the nation?  No way, not even across the province.  Home ownership is still very much achievable for average income earners in many towns and cities across BC and Canada

#1537 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

Context, RFS, context. You can also buy a nice affordable home in Europe, but it'll be 250km from the closest urban centre of any significance and serious employment opportunity. That house won't do you much good if you have to spend five hours commuting to work.

Know it all.

#1538 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

Context, RFS, context. You can also buy a nice affordable home in Europe, but it'll be 250km from the closest urban centre of any significance and serious employment opportunity. That house won't do you much good if you have to spend five hours commuting to work.

Right, but you said across the nation.  Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba would all prove you wrong, even in significant urban centres.  Even here in BC, Prince George is a significant urban and employment centre and the average house price there is like $350k.

#1539 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

The average price of a Canadian home is $500,000.

And Prince George is an armpit, lol. G'head and buy a house there for $350k if you're so determined. Bon voyage.

Know it all.

#1540 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

The average price of a Canadian home is $500,000.

And Prince George is an armpit, lol. G'head and buy a house there for $350k if you're so determined. Bon voyage.

Yeah, but that's pretty meaningless because of places like Toronto and Vancouver bringing up the national average.  Doesn't mean anything to an average income worker in Winnipeg.

As far as Prince George being an armpit that is neither here nor there.  It's still an urban centre with large employment and affordable homeownership.

Anyway my entire point is that homeownership being unattainable "across the nation" is not accurate, and our bizarre real estate Ponzi scheme market in Vancouver and Victoria is the exception in Canada.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users