red fish blue fish + govt st = ?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

I actually thought this exact thing, sort of to increase the "surface area" of a street like govt, douglas, yates, bastion square etc or some other street where the sidewalk is wide enough, or maybe a parking space on the street?

http://www.designboo...mes-square.html

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

That's a pretty snazzy unit. (That's what she said)

I bet that costs ya closer to $200k than 100.

This would have to be done carefully. I think it is perfectly reasonable for restaurants and coffee shops to object to the city suddenly leasing road-space to such a comprehensive unit. A little juice cart or hot dog stand is one thing, but that thing is quite another. Let's face it, restaurants spend lots of their leasehold improvements, and carefully consider their locations. Then this thing comes along, trys one area for a few months, then decides to move elsewhere, all the while taking market share from the established restaurant.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

I think Centennial square is the place for this type of thing.

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Speaking of hot dogs, do we have any good hot-dog places in Victoria?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

This would have to be done carefully. I think it is perfectly reasonable for restaurants and coffee shops to object to the city suddenly leasing road-space to such a comprehensive unit. A little juice cart or hot dog stand is one thing, but that thing is quite another. Let's face it, restaurants spend lots of their leasehold improvements, and carefully consider their locations. Then this thing comes along, trys one area for a few months, then decides to move elsewhere, all the while taking market share from the established restaurant.

Agreed. Food carts can spell the death of brick and mortar establishments if they pop up wherever they deem fit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

what if there were some deal where there were only certain places where they were allowed, and the owners had to stay there for a minimum length of time, say 2 years or something? sort of like how someone can't just build a building anywhere they want. I was just thinking containers are small & maneuverable enough that they can fit in places a usual building can't.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

If you feel like sitting in a restaurant you are not going to eat at a food cart. Different clientele.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Noodle Box started with a cart. I used to love it then when the owners operated that cart like a well oiled machine.

When they built their first indoor shop, I felt that it was OK that they had graduated to the point where it was beneficial to everybody that they pay rent and taxes.

Now all I taste is salt, and the spices that they are using has Mrs. Sparky convinced that I am eating dragon bums for lunch.

No mas.

#9 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

...sort of to increase the "surface area" of a street like govt, douglas, yates, bastion square etc or some other street where the sidewalk is wide enough, or maybe a parking space on the street?

You know where that would really look good? Smack in the middle of a pedestrian only Government Street.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

You know where that would really look good? Smack in the middle of a pedestrian only Government Street.

No no, Government street is where I want the LRT to go down. If we get one.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

well I was only thinking "what if" so I guess others can join in if they want

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Maybe the LRT can have a food cart car
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Maybe the LRT can have a food cart car

Perhaps they could pay for part of the LRT through revenue generated from a buffet car?

No, people would get all BC ferries like and complain that the extra amenities are driving up the cost.

#14 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

A Bar Car is what's needed.

#15 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

In the late '80s the city promoted having food carts on Government St. and selected 8 or so spots where they could go. It worked for a few years. The ones closer to the harbour did a better business, so there weren't as many proposals for the other sites. Nearby restaurants complained, and the city pulled the program. Now carts are no longer allowed on public property, but if you can make a deal with a private property owner you can go ahead.
Pieta VanDyke

#16 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

I've given up ever eating at this place because every time i've gone there. there's been a huge lineup and the one time there wasn't, they had just closed. Pretty soon it will be so popular, no one will eat there.
In chains by Keynes

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Here is a shot of the lineup today at 3:00 PM.

Crazy.

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Why would anyone waste any part of their day lining up for food that is available at dozens of other locations?

Why doesn't somebody open up a Blue Fish Red Fish next door?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Here is a shot of the lineup today at 3:00 PM.

Crazy.

go when it's snowing or something. there might be onyl a 1/2 dozen people in line then.

#20 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Why would anyone waste any part of their day lining up for food that is available at dozens of other locations?

Why doesn't somebody open up a Blue Fish Red Fish next door?

Duncan Morrison tried in the basement of Wharfside. Didn't work.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users