red fish blue fish + govt st = ?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Duncan Morrison tried in the basement of Wharfside. Didn't work.

They opened March 16th for the new season:

FACEBOOK
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

The Red Fish chef was on the Canada's Top Chef reality TV show last week so I bet a lot of people are curious.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

The line up goes pretty quick, there is people watching to pass the time, and the time you wait is the same time you would probably wait for table service.
Also If there was not a line up you would not go because you would think something was wrong.

#24 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

In all fairness E....the line only moves as fast as they can cook.

I have only timed them as long as to when I give up and go to the Otter....so I'm no expert.

#25 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Chef Kunal Ghose didn't last long on Top Chef unfortunately- voted off on the second episode. I thought he owned a portion of Red Fish but he stated on the show that he'd use the $100k winnings to buy into the restaurant.

#26 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Any chance after all these years a mod feels like updating the thread title so it matches the formatting of other restaurants? Also, some of us like to call that part of Government Street where RFBF is located as Wharf Street. Call it a crazy local custom.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Any chance after all these years a mod feels like updating the thread title so it matches the formatting of other restaurants? Also, some of us like to call that part of Government Street where RFBF is located as Wharf Street. Call it a crazy local custom.

The original thread topic was high-end food carts (similar to RFBF, I guess) on Government St.

The official RFBF thread is (formatted correctly) here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

The original thread topic was high-end food carts (similar to RFBF, I guess) on Government St.

The official RFBF thread is (formatted correctly) here.

I guess the location shot (of their Wharf Street location) and the discussion about that location confused me.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

I guess the location shot (of their Wharf Street location) and the discussion about that location confused me.

As compensation, we'll arrange a complimentary RFBF or Fernwood Inn gift certificate delivered to your office. Which would you prefer?

#30 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

As compensation, we'll arrange a complimentary RFBF or Fernwood Inn gift certificate delivered to your office. Which would you prefer?

HAHA, definitely RFBF - it's right across the street from my office. Besides, I've been known to have a meal comped @ the FWI from time to time. :D

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 05:05 AM

Red Fish Blue Fish gets approval to expand at Broughton Pier

Variances approved Thursday allow the number of buildings on the lot to increase to three from one

https://www.timescol...on-pier-8132992

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 January 2024 - 05:05 AM.

#32 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:48 PM

Good stuff. This place is a goldmine if you are a seafood fan. I've happily waited in the lineup there many times and the grub never disappoints. They must do very well financially too.

Five years ago my brother in law came for a visit from Regina. The first (and only thing really) he was interested in checking out in d/t Victoria was RFBF. I asked him how the hell a power engineer from Saskatchewan even knew about the place?? Turned out a work mate had sampled it on a visit the previous month and all anyone at the site could apparently talk about was this amazing seafood outlet in Victoria located in a shipping container.

#33 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:53 PM

Minting money with every order.

#34 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:55 PM

No doubt about that! The lineups speak for themselves.

Very low overhead too. Wonder what their rent with the harbour is like?

Edited by Matt R., 19 January 2024 - 12:58 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#35 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 03:52 PM

The Harbour Authority is rebuilding the docks right at that location. My guess is some of the work will factor in the expanded facility.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#36 Lgib

Lgib
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:15 PM

Red Fish Blue Fish gets approval to expand at Broughton Pier

Variances approved Thursday allow the number of buildings on the lot to increase to three from one

https://www.timescol...on-pier-8132992

Hi! wanted to log on here after a very long time, after receiving some email inquiries today. I am the co-owner of RFBF and we are not expanding. there seems to have been some misunderstanding of the City's report and then the reporting of news sources. The permits and approvals were all between the city and the GVHA. We have nothing to do with it. The expansion is not an expansion of the business, but rather the footprint on the pier. We have built and owned 3 structures on the pier all these years. A 10x20 container (the kitchen), an adjacent 8x10 container (prep room) and a nearly 300 sf structurer under the ramp that extends from Wharf St to the pier which was dry and cold storage (not easily visible to the public). The GVHA has been planning significant repairs to the pier for years, including repacking the pilings under the pier. The permits and supplies finally came through this past year and they were able to proceed. In order to do this work, they needed to remove our two containers and demolish our under ramp structure. We were informed we would not be able to re-build the under ramp structure, so a plan was made to replace both the 8x10 building and the under ramp building into one structure that sat on top of the pier. To do this, the GVHA purchased  40 foot container and we will be leasing that to replace our square footage that had to be removed or demolished. This also pushes our main container forward about 30 feet, so it all looks like a great expansion. Although we'd love to expand in order to facilitate more guests, and of course move the queue along at a much faster pace, we have not been able to do that as of yet. Hope that clears things up. 

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#37 Lgib

Lgib
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:18 PM

No doubt about that! The lineups speak for themselves.

Very low overhead too. Wonder what their rent with the harbour is like?

would love to know why you think that. I pay the rent, and it's on of the the highest rents psf in the downtown area and beyond (and we brought and maintain our own building). Not to mention the property taxes!

• Matt R. likes this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 03:24 PM

Hi! wanted to log on here after a very long time, after receiving some email inquiries today. I am the co-owner of RFBF and we are not expanding. there seems to have been some misunderstanding of the City's report and then the reporting of news sources. The permits and approvals were all between the city and the GVHA. We have nothing to do with it. The expansion is not an expansion of the business, but rather the footprint on the pier. We have built and owned 3 structures on the pier all these years. A 10x20 container (the kitchen), an adjacent 8x10 container (prep room) and a nearly 300 sf structurer under the ramp that extends from Wharf St to the pier which was dry and cold storage (not easily visible to the public). The GVHA has been planning significant repairs to the pier for years, including repacking the pilings under the pier. The permits and supplies finally came through this past year and they were able to proceed. In order to do this work, they needed to remove our two containers and demolish our under ramp structure. We were informed we would not be able to re-build the under ramp structure, so a plan was made to replace both the 8x10 building and the under ramp building into one structure that sat on top of the pier. To do this, the GVHA purchased  40 foot container and we will be leasing that to replace our square footage that had to be removed or demolished. This also pushes our main container forward about 30 feet, so it all looks like a great expansion. Although we'd love to expand in order to facilitate more guests, and of course move the queue along at a much faster pace, we have not been able to do that as of yet. Hope that clears things up. 

Wow, thank you for the clarification. That explains the situation, once and for all.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 03:25 PM

would love to know why you think that. I pay the rent, and it's on of the the highest rents psf in the downtown area and beyond (and we brought and maintain our own building). Not to mention the property taxes!

How much are the property taxes to the City, if you don't mind me asking? We like to have a few data points in our back pocket, when discussing local taxation policies and municipal costs, etc. It's ok if you don't want to answer, no problem.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 06:22 PM

Less than an equivalent brick and mortar. No washrooms to rent, no parking to maintain, reduced costs due to less warewashing, lower staffing costs due to no service, landscaping, snow removal..

Aren’t there inherent cost savings in food trucks? I’m happy to be enlightened of course!

Edited by Matt R., 22 January 2024 - 06:30 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users