• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

So basicly the city is penalizing those of us that have been doing our part for the environment for years and years by providing me with less service (garbage at the curb and trying to steal my compostibles) and charging me more for the privilege?!

This.

#22 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

In my case I have not been putting organic waste into the trash for years.

Ideally the system should become a user pay system, you only pay for what you use, no garbage, no fee.

You should move to Langford then.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

Garburators are evil. http://www.davidsuzu...our-garburator/

Yeah sure, but "out of sight, out of mind", a brief noise and you can 'forget about it'.

jbw

ps. Kinda also think the ocean fauna can easily handle it. The only downside I see to the ocean receiving toilet flushings etc. are contaminants getting into the outfalls (such as industrial wastes, heavy metals and such). Crack down on those and I'd see a huge reason to petition the Feds for some common sense instead of their bullying us into a gigantic, poorly thought out non-ocean waste processing plant.

#24 patrick venton

patrick venton
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

im not talking about toilet burgers, Im talking about food scraps that would normally have been eaten in most places in this world.

#25 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

im not talking about toilet burgers, Im talking about food scraps that would normally have been eaten in most places in this world.

Well, if you're looking at the waste of resources angle, I urge you to contemplate switching to vegan living. Healthier living with less than 1/10th the land and resources needed to satisfy those who consume animal products.

jbw

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

So with Victoria's green bin garbage going to the landfill, can we actually begin using the green bins for regular garbage?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,674 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

I guess I was ahead of the game by just chucking my meager compostibles in with my other garbage destined for the landfill.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

So can we put regular garbage into the green bin, not just food scraps together with garbage destined for the black bin, or will garbage crews refuse to accept anything other than food scraps in the green bins?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

Maybe.  I noticed today someone posted their worm bin for free as they're moving and can't take it with them (obtained from the Victoria Compost Center), worms included.  Gotta say, I'm tempted as it seems the environmentally concientious approach for veggie food garbage.

jbw

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

So with Victoria's green bin garbage going to the landfill, can we actually begin using the green bins for regular garbage?

It's not going to the landfill:

The Capital Regional District directors have agreed to send residential kitchen scraps separated from garbage to Lower Mainland for processing while moving quickly to try to establish a local processing facility. CRD directors endorsed a staff recommendation to award a contract of up to $4.7 million to Emterra Environmental to haul food scraps to Richmond for processing between April 2014 and December 2015, while a local solution is sought. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.sdKjH3KO.dpuf

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Ah, well there we have it.

Know it all.

#32 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

The green bins are ok, we just need to be imaginative....EASY-POOL-modified.jpeg
  • Nparker and todd like this

#33 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

^ That's funny.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,674 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

The green bins are ok, we just need to be imaginative...

Am I to presume there was no place that would accept this particular organic matter for disposal?

#35 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

Am I to presume there was no place that would accept this particular organic matter for disposal?

I think he's waiting for the truck.
  • Nparker likes this

#36 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

The green bins are ok, we just need to be imaginative....

I use my green bin as a emergency/earthquake preparedness kit. I have two because the CRD/Oak Bay dropped out front one for the pilot project and one again for the real deal. It's great you can just wheel them into the car in a tsunami. I use a Green Cone Digester and traditional composter for kitchen scraps, the program is simply too flawed for me to justify using it, a shame I still have to pay for the program.

Edited by todd, 11 March 2015 - 07:38 PM.

#37 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

New green bins in Toronto being rolled out... suggested to spray hot sauce on the lid to keep critters away:

http://www.torontosu...tant-green-bins

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

I just saw a big, fat, black rat running around the yard. It was a good 15" long from snout to tail. It's the first time I've seen one. Compost? Chicken coop (neighbour's)? Scrap bin? What's attracting this sucker?

Know it all.

#39 sofakingbroke

sofakingbroke
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:17 AM

I and most of my neighbors used to compost and I can honestly say there are less rats around now that we are all using green bins. I kept kitchen scraps separate from yard waste when I composted and the amount of biomass from the kitchen scraps is so minimal compared to yard waste that I dont miss it (and the rats) at all. 

#40 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

Oak Bay News -- May 5, 2016

Oak Bay pilots household compost project

Oak Bay embarks on a pilot to investigate on-site composting this spring.

When the contract for organic curbside pickup expires at the end of 2017, municipal staff hope to have some options for council to consider.

“We can extend the contract but we feel it’s prudent to look at some options,” said David Brozuk, superintendent of public works.

“One possibility is moving to point-of-source organic composting.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users