BUILT
Paradise Falls, phase 1
Uses: subdivision, townhome
Address: Bombardier Crescent
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The first phase of Paradise Falls, released in 2014, consists of 13 townhomes, six smallFootprint homes™ and... (view full profile)
Learn more about Paradise Falls, phase 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Westhills | 5,000 homes | U/C

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#21 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

inability to envision a way of life different from the car-dependent one popular 50 years ago.

Oh has the car become unpopular in the last 50 years?

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Let's stave off the sprawl debate and keep it to its appropriate thread, please :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

It will have 18,750 homes per square mile, vs. 5,200 in Victoria.

Will is decades away. Besides, what's up with comparing an entire municipality to a single development? I could today point to far denser square miles within the City of Victoria than Westhills will ever be.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 J Douglas

J Douglas
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

It is amazing how fixed some can become in their thinking. In the scheme of things, the idea of suburbia and complete car dependence is relatively short-lived, perhaps 50 years at the most from its acceptance to the point of significant back peddling. Even Cow Town is now re-thinking urban life and embracing density, the cultural equivalent of bad mouthing God in those parts.

http://www.theglobea...article2292771/

Living arrangements other than what is visible today are possible, and history will no doubt continue its course, plodding for the most part, with the odd surprise thrown in here and there. A surprise for us may take the form of the discovery that conventional oil reserves begin to look plaltry in the face of a new middle class in China and India in the next few years. No doubt then the scramble will be on to mine the Arctic sea bed, liquify coal, or make some other shift that will confirm that energy is not cheap anymore. Or, it may be a set of weather events that shift the idea of global warming from prediction to emergency management. If any of these things do come about, they will have an effect on the price of suburban houses. Of course, they may not, at least not in our lifetimes. But even the folks on Wall Street indulge in hedging their bets. It would be wise for us to do the same, and think about LRT, and plan beyond the standard Langford style sprawl.

#25 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

It will have 18,750 homes per square mile, vs. 5,200 in Victoria.

That number does not seem right, 18,750 home per square mile is 29.3 homes per acre. That is an average of 1490 square feet per house. Given that at least 35% of the land is taken up with roads, parks, schools, etc, this only leaves an average of 970 sq feet per house. This is a lot this is 30 feet by 32.33 feet.

This can only work if it has a lot of condos, it would have to be mainly condos in my opinion. Something seems wrong in that number

#26 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

Gotta agree, those numbers just don't add up. Source? At first I was thinking the poster must have meant people per square mile (not homes per) but if it is supposed to mean people, then the Victoria numbers don't seem right either. Maybe 5,200 per squared klik.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, I thought people per square mile as well. Homes would mean that virtually the entire development is comprised of high rise, high density condos.

Know it all.

#28 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

According to the Westhills site, the property is 517 acres @ 5000 homes in that area, this is 6189 per square mile. At three people per home, this is 18,568 people per square mile

For comparison, westhills is an area 33% larger than James Bay.

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

And what is the population of James Bay?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#30 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

lol, maybe my math was a bit off. I blame the metric system.

My point about Westhills being reasonably dense still stands.

#31 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

And what is the population of James Bay?

10,760 in 2006.

#32 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Westhills in progress

#33 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

damn that's a bib pipe

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

damn that's a bib pipe

....and you give G-Man heck for not proof reading :)

#35 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

You are correct my sir, there are no clear shots of bib pipes in that photo set. I must go now and reconsider my earlier observation.

#36 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

love the lookie loos in this one

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the photos, ressen!

I had no idea that the project was this far in. And what's the story behind that walkway visible in the second photo?

Know it all.

#38 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for the photos, ressen!

I had no idea that the project was this far in. And what's the story behind that walkway visible in the second photo?

It's part of the Ed Nixon trail that goes around langford lake.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

Interesting. Thanks.

Know it all.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

Farewell nature, hello suburban sprawl. :(

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users