BUILT
Black and White
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1033 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Black and White is a six-storey mixed-used development with five residential levels above a ground floor comme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Black and White on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Black and White | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

#761 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

This is one building that I think turned out looking a thousand times better than the renderings.

#762 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:38 PM

This is one building that I think turned out looking a thousand times better than the renderings.

Which is funny, because I feel exactly the opposite. I liked the renderings better than the finished project.

I think this one is always going to be one of those love it or hate it type of buildings. Although to be clear, I don't hate it, I just don't love it.

#763 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

I'm definitely on the fence, design wise. For my own taste, I like this one better than the Jukebox. That being said, this building is different. And Victoria needs different looking buildings. So whether or not I like the design, I love that it adds a unique flair to Victoria. So kudos to Abstract for taking a design leap here. Better than a vertical block with spandrel.

• Rob Randall likes this

#764 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

yes that has come out nice.  i like those lower level patios with the wood on sides but glass front.  

#765 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:19 PM

I wouldn't be keen on staring out at the power lines and poles. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#766 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

But that's what you get with a short, horizontally-oriented building that is "better than a vertical block with spandrel".  :unsure:

Edited by Nparker, 06 September 2019 - 07:27 PM.

#767 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:21 AM

except that almost everyone does now where they currently live.   it's not that big a deal.  even in vancouver where you have a maze of trolley lines it's really not that big a mess.  your eyes avert around it without even noticing.

vancouver-tram-trolley-bus-downtown-city

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2019 - 04:25 AM.

#768 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:02 AM

I’m liking the finished product. While underway I wasn’t sure how it would come out but they pulled it off.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#769 Shelby

Shelby
  • 269 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:44 PM

I do like the look of the building, but Im really tired of the endless blocking off of one lane of Cook Street. It amazes me that this was allowed to happen, Its rather spooky with the sidewalk taken out so your basically walking in traffic with a cone and caution tape as a barrier.

#770 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:30 AM

...even in vancouver where you have a maze of trolley lines it's really not that big a mess.  your eyes avert around it without even noticing.

Victorians didn't like the mess of overhead bus lines so they got rid of them, whereas Vancouverites didn't like the mess of overhead power lines so they put them in the lanes.

i-02182_141.jpg
pic from https://search-bcarc...street-victoria

#771 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

Drove by last week on Fort and thought the building looks better in the wild than photographed.

Though the dinky balconies look a little odd methinks.

#772 Kramer

Kramer
  • Banned
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

I wonder why Abstract opted not to go with concrete construction here? It’s more expensive, but the prices commanded by the units in this wood framed development might have made it economically viable to build with concrete by adding small increases to the sales price and that would have allowed for a different design. Still, I think this will be a good addition overall.

They did regret not using concrete. Not sure if it was for structural reason or noise but that’s what I heard.
  • Nparker likes this

#773 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

Wood frame for a building that sits so close to a busy street seems silly in hindsight. It does look great, though.

#774 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:35 AM

I like it a lot too, it's certainly been one of the new builds (whether wood-frame or concrete) that I'm always curious to see the progress on. The wood accent trim that's being added now looks good. I like seeing those big slabs all akimbo at unexpected angles, especially when looking down Fort. I find it playful.  Of course, after the mega thrust we'll all be akimbo, but these guys were first.

What is "akimbo"?

• Kungsberg likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#775 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:46 AM

What is "akimbo"?

Crooked or bent. Also, with elbows out and hands on your hips, known in modern slang as a "power pose" (think Wonder Woman!)

• Mixed365 and Kungsberg like this

#776 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:04 AM

What is "akimbo"?

Interestingly, it's from Middle English (1150 to 1500 AD):  in kenebowe, in kene bowe (in a keen bow”, i.e. “in a sharp bend or angle).

I had always thought it sounded African, or possibly aboriginal. Ancient slang redux!

• Mike K. and Kungsberg like this

#777 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:31 AM

What is "akimbo"?

And there seems to be planned akimbo (Burnaby), and un-planned akimbo...

Attached Images

• akimbo 1.jpg
  • akimbo2.jpg

#778 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:58 PM

Crooked or bent. Also, with elbows out and hands on your hips, known in modern slang as a "power pose" (think Wonder Woman!)

+1. Thanks Jackerbie!

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#779 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Drove by this on the Cook Street frontage and it appeared to me that the inside lane is being lost.  It's all blocked off now, but they've built out sidewalk.  There's no way a car going straight in the outside lane and say a car turning right onto Fort Street or heading straight in the inside lane will be able to do that in tandem now.  So effectively making the drive up to Fort Street a merge point.

Are there plans to turn that intersection of Cook Street down to two lanes from four?

#780 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

Drove by this on the Cook Street frontage and it appeared to me that the inside lane is being lost.  It's all blocked off now, but they've built out sidewalk.  There's no way a car going straight in the outside lane and say a car turning right onto Fort Street or heading straight in the inside lane will be able to do that in tandem now.  So effectively making the drive up to Fort Street a merge point.

Are there plans to turn that intersection of Cook Street down to two lanes from four?

This isn't the case. They have rebuilt the Cook Street sidewalk to the same standard it was at prior to construction. At first glance from a vehicle it looks like too narrow a lane for vehicles, but upon further inspection, it will be the same width as the existing through lane once paving is complete. Those through lanes at Cook and Fort have always been fairly narrow.

IMG_5925.JPG

IMG_5927.JPG

IMG_5929.JPG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users