BUILT
Black and White
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1033 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Black and White is a six-storey mixed-used development with five residential levels above a ground floor comme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Black and White on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Black and White | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

This could be Fairfield's largest redevelopment in recent history.

Basically, the entire half-block of Cook Street between Meares and Fort. It will involve the demolition of the Fort Building, a one-storey, mid-century commercial strip housing Kilshaw's auction house, Sorenson's Books, Tooks on Cook, the former B&E grocery, Polychrome Gallery and a few other stores.

Abstract Developments wants to replace it with some sort of condo development. There will be a public meeting this coming Monday evening in Fairfield as it requires rezoning. I expect a fairly dense development, five or six storeys.

That's all I know.
  • Ira likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

Wow that would be great but I won't hold my breath. Also this should not be considered Fairfield it should be Downtown. Neighbourhood lines should follow form and feel. This is situated in the downtown urban context.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:28 AM

^Yes, the City's planning sessions with the community confirmed this. Recall that this very intersection was shown to the public on a slide and the overwhelming response to the question "downtown, in or out?" was "in".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

There's plenty of high density on that intersection. Wouldn't make sense not to approve something like this.

Abstract seems pretty conservative with the projects they aim for. Hopefully they know something others don't.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

There's plenty of high density on that intersection. Wouldn't make sense not to approve something like this...

That being said, little of what our council approves/disapproves makes much sense to me. Perhaps if the developer was proposing to build 6 or so 3-bedroom, 2-storey slightly detached homes and then rent them to the homeless for $300/month (paid for by the city) this proposal would fly through. As it is, I see this one as being (as usual) quite contentious for our current lot on council.

#6 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Nparker, if the city was paying for it it'd be more like $3,000 per month.

Sounds like a reasonable place for a five our six story building to me. This is definitely downtown, barely though.

#7 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

It will cover the exposed bare west wall of the recently completed Zen condo building.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Nparker, if the city was paying for it it'd be more like $3,000 per month...

I guess I meant that the money-grubbing developer would only make $300/month...I agree that the city would pay at least 10 X this amount per person to house a dozen or so people.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Some more details:

The official community meeting, hosted by the Fairfield-Gonzales Community Association takes place Monday, December 19, at 1330 Fairfield Road at 7 pm.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Did anyone go to the meeting or see what this is going to look like?

It has a whole new look!

#11 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

Pretty sure Abstract wouldn't be ready to move on this for some time yet.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Yeah but I am just sayin since there was apparently a meeting on the 19th :)

It has a whole new look!

#13 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

come on *you know who* find your phone cord!

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

Project pitched for Fort-Cook

Shopkeepers pragmatic about possible move

BY CARLA WILSON, TIMESCOLONIST.COM JANUARY 27, 2012 8:54 AM

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

Pretty sure that's Meares on the right and Cook heading to the left.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Yeah you can see the old Royal Bank building further along the left. I like the upper floors but I am not sure yet about the ground floor.

This building currently has a great pedestiran interface along Cook. That should be the priority in making sure this project works.

It has a whole new look!

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

Wish I could see more pics.

#18 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Check out the video then - http://vimeo.com/35526027

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Thanks Dylan!

I love the top five floors and I really like the Eastern most part of the building along Fort Street but the rest of the ground floor is a death trap for commercial. It reminds me of the medical building just past Robins parking on Cook.

Please Please stop inseting commercial behind pillars. This is no good for anyone!

You need big bright windows that meet the streets with an inset front door. This was figured out well over a hundred years ago. It works! People like it!

It has a whole new look!

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

I'm not sure I understand why they would want to introduce a recessed ground floor in that neighbourhood? All of the ground floors along Fort and Cook there have zero setbacks, most notably the units that this building would be replacing. The ADP will surely slam them for that.

I really have to wonder what their justification would be for proposing a ground floor that is such a radical departure from the character of the immediate area?

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users