BUILT
Black and White
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1033 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Black and White is a six-storey mixed-used development with five residential levels above a ground floor comme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Black and White on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Black and White | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

#561 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:15 PM

Balconies is one of those weird areas where the customer doesn't always know what they want.  Developers have long figured out that people don't really want or use their balconies very much, it's far better to put the money into just having a bigger living room or what ever.  But it still remains this thing people will complain about.  People complain about tiny balconies on developments, but the market proves they aren't willing to actually pay for them.

If you want huge balconies check out Lyra on christmas hill,  huge wrap-around balconies on every floor.  But you'll be paying for that luxury.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#562 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:11 PM

Sad little "balconies" barely big enough for two people to have coffee. Is that what $1000/sq ft gets you now? Feh.

when it comes to usability of balconies, depth matters more than width. I'd say the balconies on Black and White look like they make better use of their square footage then many other balconies in town that are wider but not as deep.

Edited by newbie_01, 15 September 2018 - 10:11 PM.

• Torrontes likes this

#563 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:44 PM

And regardless of the size of a balcony, if it doesn't have at least a partial cover/roof, it's pretty much useless in our climate 80% of the time.

#564 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:36 PM

If you want huge balconies check out Lyra on christmas hill,  huge wrap-around balconies on every floor.  

Balconies are for barbeques.

#565 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

I personally bought a unit at Lyra and I just can't see people using the massive balconies. Surrounded by trees it will be too cold 80% of the time to use them. I do like the fact that they have natural gas BBQ connections so at least you can run out and do some BBQings.  It is great for re-sale as most of my clients want a big balcony....that they will never use, but they want it.

Lyra units are nearly half the price per square foot compared to some of the other developments (Bellewood, Capital Park). 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#566 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

...Lyra units are nearly half the price per square foot compared to some of the other developments (Bellewood, Capital Park). 

I would imagine Lyra's walk score is pretty low.

#567 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:45 PM

Thriftys and London Drugs are walkable from there. It is just having to walk on McKenzie that makes it gross.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#568 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:25 AM

Quite a few of the B&W balconies are extensions of what Abstract, or Cascadia Architects, calls "redundant rooms", i.e. there is a recessed area which forms part of the "balcony" or outside terrace of the unit. As a result, I expect that they are much more usable than would be evident simply from the portion jutting out from the front face of the building.

At Bellewood Park, Abstract has included overhead heaters (installed on the underside of the balcony above), along with water, gas and electric outlets. That certainly makes the outside "room" more usable given climatic conditions. They seem to recognize that the depth of the terrace or balcony is equally important to width.

I agree that the traditional narrow balconies are useless, especially when you get up higher than say 10 floors.

#569 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:57 AM

Walk score is pretty much zero imo but can't ignore nearly half the price. With my profession I can't walk to work anyway so whether I am in James Bay/Fairfield or Christmas Hill doesn't make a huge difference.

#570 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

Some people like to be near amenities, some don't.  I sure don't want to be anywhere downtown with the homeless, druggies, crime, and loud ambulances, police and fire trucks thru the middle of the night.  I love waking up to the sound of birds singing and not the sound of an ambulance siren rushing to another druggie overdose

#571 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:09 AM

I personally bought a unit at Lyra and I just can't see people using the massive balconies. Surrounded by trees it will be too cold 80% of the time to use them.

But on pleasant days the way that building is surrounded by oak trees would be great, don't you think? Almost like sitting up in the branches themselves. For someone who really loves the oak trees it would be pretty darned nice.

#572 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

But on pleasant days the way that building is surrounded by oak trees would be great, don't you think? Almost like sitting up in the branches themselves. For someone who really loves the oak trees it would be pretty darned nice.

Right now I have a house in a natural setting (0.5 acre lot) with a deck that is half covered with a gas heater and I literally don't step onto the deck 9 months of the year. Once I put my cushions inside I don't go out there (other than BBQ). Are you seriously going to sit on a deck with the heater on and a blanket looking at some trees (or rooftops in the case of B&W) or just hang out on your couch with the gas fireplace on? I like to go out during the winter like a walk around Elk Lake or something but sitting on my deck is not one of those winter out door activities that makes sense to me.

I own a condo in Croatia and there they design baclonies to be enclosed, I kind of like the idea, picture #7 is the gallery -> http://markojuras.com/zagreb-condo/

Edited by MarkoJ, 17 September 2018 - 01:13 PM.

• RoadRunner likes this

#573 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:22 PM

Can you still bbq there?

#574 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:32 AM

Photo from Sept 28th

Attached Images

• IMG_8489.JPG

#575 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

Nice to see a photo from the other side of B&W

#576 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:24 PM

We need to make a conscious effort to see the other side. Not everything is Black and White.

• Nparker, lanforod, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#577 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

We need to make a conscious effort to see the other side. Not everything is Black and White.

That's clear as mud.

#578 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:56 PM

...Not everything is Black and White.

Tell that to these folks

Cheronians.jpg

#579 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

October 12th

Attached Images

• IMG_8579.JPG
  • IMG_8581.JPG
  • IMG_8583.JPG

• Nparker likes this

#580 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:31 PM

I am surprised you were able to get such good photos Marko having to dodge all that traffic in the bike lanes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users