BUILT
Black and White
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1033 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Black and White is a six-storey mixed-used development with five residential levels above a ground floor comme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Black and White on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Black and White | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

#641 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

Abstract appeals to a well off but naive Oak Bay market that trusts them enough to figure if they’re building something it must be good, and they pass that information onto their offspring (who usually rellies on the elder’s funds for a down payment).

Does anyone know why other developers of steel/concrete buildings (are) still pricing at less then what Alpha prices for wood??

the market! alpha charges what they will get..

This feed exactly into my point...

Edited by Promontory Kingpin, 04 February 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#642 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

Kingpin, your last post was removed.

This is not a dumping ground for anonymous grievances. You've said your piece, now move on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#643 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:44 PM

So... are we good now? Everyone’s flushed out their angst or should we have another round?

:muching_out:

• Promontory Kingpin likes this

#644 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

Methinks it's always going to be difficult to make direct comparisons between concrete condo towers in areas like Oak Bay/Fairfield/Oaklands and concrete condo towers in Vic West/downtown.

#645 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,925 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:54 PM

exactly

#646 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

Does anyone know why other developers of steel/concrete buildings (are) still pricing at less then what Alpha prices for wood??

the market! alpha charges what they will get.

But everything built by Alpha Project Developments over the past decade has been concrete (Aria in 2009 followed by the Mondrian and Legato; 1400 Quadra is now underway and will be a concrete rental tower).

Are you confusing Alpha and Abstract...?

#647 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,925 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:51 PM

sorry meant abstract

#648 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

So much Abstract bashing.............?

Bellewoods may (is) at a premium price per sq. ft. But if you are living in Oak Bay or Rockland and downsizing into a ("NEW") condo from a home you, likely want to stay in the area and not live downtown.  So what are your options?  Every city has buildings in certain areas that have a niche.  Buyers from other provinces that have high property values also find these type of developments attractive, even at the current price points. Affordability is only relative to your own success.

Selling a home at $2-4 million makes Bellewoods a very affordable move

#649 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:01 AM

You are right Glen, this is a niche project which is relatively modest in scale. It's only 83 units in total (51 in concrete 6 story Oaks; 23 in frame 4 story Cypress; and 9 frame three-story townhouses). Irrespective of affordability, no one wants to make a bad investment decision, and the retirees purchasing units in this project will have an investment/resale time horizon.

The three components are presumably targeted at quite different groups of buyers. Abstract's challenge will be trying to charge premium pricing for the smaller units, say those less than ~75 sq.m. At some point simply having a Wolf stove and LED closet rods doesn't compensate for a lack of space!

#650 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

February 24th, 2019

Attached Images

• IMG_6405.jpeg
  • IMG_6406.jpeg
  • IMG_6407.jpeg
  • IMG_6409.jpeg

• newbie_01 likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#651 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

Some really nasty telephone poles here and on the Johnson Street project that are real eyesores. :(

Thanks for all the pics Marko!

#652 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:42 PM

If downtown Victoria ever enjoys a sustained period of development and redevelopment I think we can safely assume that the authorities would take advantage of the opportunity to put the lines underground.

...different cities have made different calls on whether or not to bury lines. The EIA notes that many denser urban areas, like Manhattan, have figure out how to bury lines relatively cheaply—especially in places where construction crews are already digging anyway for new buildings. And some cities are willing to bear the cost: Anaheim, Calif., for one, has decided to bury all its lines for aesthetic reasons, funded by a 4 percent surcharge on customers.
https://www.washingt...ry-power-lines/

#653 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:18 AM

LOL

The CoV doesn't own the lines and BC Hydro hasn't made it a priority to go underground. They offer a pittance to municipalities if they decide to require that lines be buried, so that means developers pay.

Perhaps with the mother of all evil coming to impact us all ("Climate Change"), the CoV will reconsider its approach. Storm events always lead to a reexamination.

Aerial lines also result in significant pruning of precious trees (forget the non-native varieties) - that's another reason to reconsider policy.

Forget aesthetics, think of the trees, and minimizing the loss of internet connections and air conditioning.

#654 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

If only! I have long been an advocate for burying hydro lines. When you walk or drive down a street such as Wharf, where the wires are buried, how much nicer is that! Not only do they keep the overhead wires, they cut the heart out of our magnificent trees. There must be political pressure put to bear on Hydro to move on burying more of the lines.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#655 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

Every time I drive by this building I shudder, it's so ugly.

#656 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

The underground wire route isn't always a good idea. As one of our VV forumers has said, burying lines comes with its own complications and maintenance issues that can be costly over the medium and long terms. Above ground lines are unsightly, but they're economical to maintain and can be more resilient than underground lines (flooding being a big issue).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#657 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

How to underground power lines fare in earthquakes? 

• Chef-eth likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#658 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:31 AM

Every time I drive by this building I shudder, it's so ugly.

There have been far, far uglier developments in town.  I don't think that it will live up to the potential of the renderings, but at least it's visually interesting.  You're definitely not in Langford.

• jonny likes this

#659 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

... I don't think that it will live up to the potential of the renderings...

While only a short distance away, I think Jukebox is exceeding its renderings.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#660 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

While only a short distance away, I think Jukebox is exceeding its renderings.

I was walking by that just a few days ago, and I totally agree.  I can't wait until the cladding is finally up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users