BUILT
Black and White
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1033 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Black and White is a six-storey mixed-used development with five residential levels above a ground floor comme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Black and White on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Black and White | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

#701 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:00 AM

^I will also add that there are huge wage pressures right now. Generally speaking while it is busy out there construction companies aren't making the money you might think we were making. My company in the last few months in an effort to attract and keep workers is basically increasing prices significantly across the board which will of course get passed on directly to the consumer. The big issue is of course real estate prices aren't rising anymore and many developers I am speaking with are simply realizing after they run the numbers there is no money in their development and are shelving the job

Also several of the largest local construction companies are running out of work

It will be interesting how the second half of the year unfolds

Sounds like poor management and not thinking ahead when the going was good.

#702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

Where are these many projects being shelved? I have not heard of any large project cancellations. Quite the contrary, it’s full steam ahead.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#703 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

^most of them are smaller wood frame up to 6 storey projects

#704 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

^I will also add that there are huge wage pressures right now.  Generally speaking while it is busy out there construction companies aren't making the money you might think we were making.  My company in the last few months in an effort to attract and keep workers is basically increasing prices significantly across the board which will of course get passed on directly to the consumer.  The big issue is of course real estate prices aren't rising anymore and many developers I am speaking with are simply realizing after they run the numbers there is no money in their development and are shelving the job

Also several of the largest local construction companies are running out of work

It will be interesting how the second half of the year unfolds

Those two things together should cancel each other out a bit...

• Nparker likes this

#705 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:12 AM

Can you cite any examples?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#706 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

I don't know how many people follow the MLS listings and all of the "PC" price Changes.   I'm a little surprised that some of the recent projects went ahead. 

Hudson Pace offers a furnishing incentive to just mention one build.  I don't think we are near the bottom as yet.  Money laundering could shake the market yet further

#707 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:16 PM

Of course when building declines, as it is now doing, it puts upward pressure on prices.

So prices will go down a little more before they began to rise again because of lack of supply.

If the government would just stay out of people's way the market would regulate itself.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#708 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

Can you cite any examples?

I have a long list, but like the BC Hydro thread that would pull it off topic and then my "thesis" would get deleted

#709 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:49 AM

A 60-seat cafe named Bear & Joey, a dentist office and a wellness clinic are confirmed tenants at Black & White.

Know it all.

#710 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

"Bear & Joey is a fresh and vibrant breakfast and lunch service café, that will pioneer the Australian culinary theme and café experience in Victoria BC. With a combination of beautifully presented nutritious food, highest quality coffee, exceptional service and a stunning decor. B&J’s menu offering will be typical of contemporary offerings in the Sydney and Melbourne café scene."

https://www.bearandjoey.ca/home 

I will have to check with my Australian friends as to what's special about the Sydney and Melbourne café scene. Roo on toast?

In any event, sounds like a welcome addition.

• gstc84 and Brantastic like this

#711 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

The Aussies definitely know what they're doing with coffee. This could be a great addition to the local cafe scene, and in a generally underserved area of the city.

• Chef-eth likes this

#712 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

"Bear & Joey is a fresh and vibrant breakfast and lunch service café, that will pioneer the Australian culinary theme and café experience in Victoria BC. With a combination of beautifully presented nutritious food, highest quality coffee, exceptional service and a stunning decor. B&J’s menu offering will be typical of contemporary offerings in the Sydney and Melbourne café scene."

https://www.bearandjoey.ca/home 

I will have to check with my Australian friends as to what's special about the Sydney and Melbourne café scene. Roo on toast?

In any event, sounds like a welcome addition.

The website is very much under construction, and currently the only item on the menu is a $14 smashed avocado "as the Aussies do." In case the memory has faded, smashed avocado on toast became an icon of controversy when an Australian millionaire and luxury property developer said that Millennials can't afford to buy real estate because they spend too much money on toast and coffee.

“When I was trying to buy my first home, I wasn’t buying smashed avocado for $19 and four coffees at $4 each,” he said. “We’re at a point now where the expectations of younger people are very, very high.”

He added: “We are coming into a new reality where … a lot of people won’t own a house in their lifetime. That is just the reality.” Asked if he believes young people will never own a home, he responded: “Absolutely, when you’re spending $40 a day on smashed avocados and coffees and not working. Of course.”
via https://www.theguard...ado-toast-house

#713 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Looks like B&W is coming together down the stretch.

#714 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

The Aussies definitely know what they're doing with coffee. This could be a great addition to the local cafe scene, and in a generally underserved area of the city.

I don't know about underserved. There are at least 3 breakfast/brunch places 2 blocks to the west on Fort plus another half a block south on Cook. It would be nice to have a place take the line up away from the Blue Fox so I don't have to push my way through when passing by.

#715 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

June 9th, 2019

Attached Images

• IMG_6804.JPEG
  • IMG_6805.JPEG
  • IMG_6806.JPEG
  • IMG_6807.JPEG

• newbie_01 likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#716 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:53 PM

The south side of the building looks to be a nice quite place compared to the other two frontages

#717 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:47 AM

A Rare Opportunity
Black and White | Exclusive Premium Residence
Now Available - $950,000

With building completion nearing at Black and White, we are excited to share with you a rare opportunity to own one of the sought-after Premium Residences in this unique collection of timeless Upper Fort homes. After strong demand, the Premium Residences at Black and White sold out quickly nearly two years ago. 

One of these special homes has just become available, after the original purchaser decided to invest in one of our final remaining Black and White Penthouses. 

Premium Residence 503 
2 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom & Den
Type F4 | 1,130 sq. ft.
$950,000

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2019 - 06:48 AM.

#718 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

That’s $823 a square foot.

Know it all.

#719 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:45 PM

It's actually, $840 sq ft.

#720 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:53 PM

You’re right. I plugged in the wrong sales price. My bad.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users