BUILT
Black and White
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1033 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Black and White is a six-storey mixed-used development with five residential levels above a ground floor comme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Black and White on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Black and White | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

#741 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

Mike, would like to thank-you for your response in regards to a posting I made about possible resales values when B&W is complete. I must say I never thought the smaller suites may command prices over the $840sq ft when comparing the pricing of the recent listing of a 1120 sq ft suite for $950K

Heywood new listings have maintained there values since they were first released and now having 2 suites back on the market.

Marko, having your market insight would you concur with Mike K's reply about resale values for B&W when suites can be resold upon completion?

• Mike K., Victoria Watcher and Kramer like this

#742 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

We've certainly noticed a drop in our water pressure the last couple of years now that there are so many new condos in this area. Been in our house for almost forty years and the pressure has plummeted. No point in having a low water toilet now! Have to flush twice.

• Chef-eth likes this

#743 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:46 PM

We've certainly noticed a drop in our water pressure the last couple of years now that there are so many new condos in this area. Been in our house for almost forty years and the pressure has plummeted. No point in having a low water toilet now! Have to flush twice.

Water pressure shouldn't affect your toilet flushing, it's all gravity fed from the tank. It might take a little longer to fill the tank but that's about it.

• Chef-eth likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#744 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:51 PM

Like LJ noted, pressure doesn't affect flushing.  Have you ever had your water pressure regulator serviced or replaced in those 40 years?  Might be worth checking...

#745 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, that doesn't make sense You can shut off your water completely and your toilet will still flush like normal. It just won't fill. You need a lumberjack because it sounds like a log jam.

Edited by Rob Randall, 26 June 2019 - 08:02 PM.

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#746 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

Maybe too many condos on the sewer system is cause slow draining?

#747 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:20 AM

More likely all the garbage that people flush down the toilet clogging the system. It's hard to believe what people attempt to simply flush away. We have ongoing major issues at a condo I own up-island where a lift pump is required to connect to city services. All manner of adult underpants, cleaning cloths, dental floss, etc., etc., which eventually overcomes the macerator and kills the pump. Same issue "downstream" for city system.

People should follow the marine approach: "Do not put anything in the head that you have not eaten first."   :wave:

• Mike K. likes this

#748 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:53 AM

Re pricing tough to say how things will play out in the next 6 to 12 months with re-sales. A lot of investors purchased smaller units and will be interesting how many are brought to market (Jukebox, 989 Johnson, Wade, etc.). Also, not seeing price pressure on rentals as much with all the purpose-built buildings being completed. Bosa has 200+ units to rent out on Pandora.

Edited by MarkoJ, 27 June 2019 - 08:55 AM.

• Kramer likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#749 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:32 AM

Only if you think being common law and being married are no different

Being in that form of relationship, it is no different.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#750 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

June 30th, 2019

Attached Images

• IMG_6879.jpeg
  • IMG_6880.jpeg

• Chef-eth likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#751 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

As B&W as well as other condos near completion, what sort of inspections, certifications an other compliance orders need to occur before the builder can begin offer occupancy? 

Can builders have a long list of deficiencies and still require purchasers to close?

#752 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg

• Jackerbie likes this

#753 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

Attached Images

• 12.jpg
  • 13.jpg
  • 14.jpg

• Jackerbie likes this

#754 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

I want to like this project more, and major kudos to the developer for attempting something different, but for whatever reason I am just not feeling the (nearly) finished product. I think the street wall along Fort is probably the best part. I am sure many others really like the building and my reservations towards the aesthetics aside, it's a welcome addition to the area.

#755 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:39 AM

I want to like this project more, and major kudos to the developer for attempting something different, but for whatever reason I am just not feeling the (nearly) finished product. I think the street wall along Fort is probably the best part. I am sure many others really like the building and my reservations towards the aesthetics aside, it's a welcome addition to the area.

I wonder why Abstract opted not to go with concrete construction here? It’s more expensive, but the prices commanded by the units in this wood framed development might have made it economically viable to build with concrete by adding small increases to the sales price and that would have allowed for a different design. Still, I think this will be a good addition overall.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 06 September 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#756 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:15 AM

I wonder why Abstract opted not to go with concrete construction here? It’s more expensive, but the prices commanded by the units in this wood framed development might have made it economically viable to build with concrete by adding small increases to the sales price and that would have allowed for a different design. Still, I think this will be a good addition overall.

They're doing concrete just up the block at Bellewood Park. When this started sales, the market wasn't what it is now. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#757 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for all the photos Kungsberg. 

I think this is one of the best looking wood-frame buildings in Greater Victoria. 

• Kungsberg likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#758 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

wood frame or not, the location sells itself quickly enough which attracted my attention.

Looked the rental rate to the Wong Bros'  building, it climbed up to 1800-2100/month...

Edited by ovovov, 06 September 2019 - 11:19 AM.

#759 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:28 PM

I think this is one of the best looking wood-frame buildings in Greater Victoria. 

I like it a lot too, it's certainly been one of the new builds (whether wood-frame or concrete) that I'm always curious to see the progress on. The wood accent trim that's being added now looks good. I like seeing those big slabs all akimbo at unexpected angles, especially when looking down Fort. I find it playful.  Of course, after the mega thrust we'll all be akimbo, but these guys were first.

Attached Images

• IMG_4418.jpg

#760 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

My daughter's friends, who are in their thirties, say it's the ugliest building in Victoria. I tend to agree.

The tile reminds me of many an apartment building I saw in the Soviet Union in 1975, lol.

Edited by mbjj, 06 September 2019 - 01:27 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users