BUILT
Black and White
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1033 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Black and White is a six-storey mixed-used development with five residential levels above a ground floor comme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Black and White on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Black and White | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I still have the same concerns that I had before about the ground floor on the Cook Street side. So I suppose this building will ultimately clarify whether or not I need to be so concerned about these sorts of things. If it works out well then I worry too much. If it doesn't...

It makes me think of this intersection...

On the north side of the street you've got two older office blocks with very tall/very overdone ground floors (pillars, planters and setbacks!) that are (in my opinion) a poor fit for the neighbourhood. On the south side of the street you've got newer condo blocks with more conventional ground floors that are (in my opinion) a much better fit for the neighbourhood.

This Cook and Meares project seems to be playing somewhere in the middle. I hope it works out.

Edited by aastra, 18 February 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#82 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

I can't wait to see what the interiors and price points look like. I live a block away from the development, love my neighbourhood (despite its lack of restaurants) and will be in a position to buy a condo in a year or two. I'm really excited about this!

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

I'll be on CFAX tomorrow at around 11:45 to discuss this project. Abstract Development's Mike Miller will be on at approximately 11:30.

Tune in to 1070AM at 11:30 tomorrow to listen in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Here's a recording of the show. The developer comes on half way through and Mike comes on 3/4 way through :)

http://www.cfax1070....ry-25-2014-11pm

#85 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

Here's a recording of the show. The developer comes on half way through and Mike comes on 3/4 way through :)

http://www.cfax1070....ry-25-2014-11pm

Developer's name is also Mike :)

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#86 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

^Is this mike on?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#87 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

Any updates on this project?

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

Nope. These guys are busy with other projects though. It could be a little while before they move on this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#89 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

One business just moved into a unit on the Fort St. side so you can pretty much bet any action is at least a year away.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:49 PM

This project will be redesigned from the ground up and a new development permit will be put before the City this summer or by early Fall. Abstract plans to make significant alterations to the design and build something that will be recognized as a Victoria landmark. The architect, whose name escapes me right now, is a former Frank D'Ambrosio Architecture architect who left the firm and started Cascadia Architecture.

Know it all.

#91 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:04 PM

...Abstract plans to make significant alterations to the design and build something that will be recognized as a Victoria landmark...

So lots of red brick then?

#92 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

This project will be redesigned from the ground up and a new development permit will be put before the City this summer or by early Fall. Abstract plans to make significant alterations to the design and build something that will be recognized as a Victoria landmark. The architect, whose name escapes me right now, is a former Frank D'Ambrosio Architecture architect who left the firm and started Cascadia Architecture.

Greg Damant?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

I think that's it!

Know it all.

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

Greg Damant?

Here's the architect: Peter Johannknecht.

Know it all.

#95 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

Looking forward to seeing this.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#96 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

I wonder the reason for the redesign. Seemed like a decent one.

#97 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

I wonder the reason for the redesign. Seemed like a decent one.

I too am curious about this. Perhaps there was not enough red brick... :squint:

#98 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

What's this talk about red brick? I see none in the rendering.

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

What's this talk about red brick? I see none in the rendering.

Well none is certainly not enough. ;)

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

Could anyone have any idea what this "very exciting" retailer could be? Read the article for the full details, because Abstract is planning something Mike Miller is very excited about. Whoever/whatever it is is taking on 9,000 square feet of the building's 11,000 square feet of commercial space.

1101-Fort-Street.jpg

1101-Fort-Street-May-2015.jpg

Larger units trump studios at Fort and Cook condo development

http://victoria.citi...do-development/

A big change is coming to the intersection of Cook and Fort streets on the eastern fringe of Victoria's downtown core.

Abstract Developments is readying to build the firm's largest project to-date, a six storey mixed-use condo with 11,000 square feet of ground floor commercial space at 1101 Fort Street.

In February of 2014 Victoria city council approved Abstract's plans to redevelop the Fort Building property into a six storey building with 88 condo units above a commercial ground floor. Since then the developer has fine-tuned the project to expand the ground floor commercial space, reduce residential units by approximately ten per cent and add an additional level of underground parking. Moderate exterior design changes are also underway following a transition from D'Ambrosio Architecture + Urbanism to Cascadia Architecture. [Full article]

• Kapten Kapsell, Mr Cook Street and western like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users