Victoria Real-Estate Board statistics

• Please log in to reply
2688 replies to this topic

#1981 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:17 AM

@Marko, what's your basis for the Island's handling/luck with Covid being the reason behind increased buyers from outside of Victoria? Conjecture? Anecdotal? Personal surveys?

#1982 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:31 PM

Broadly speaking, it's not hurting our situation, and the ratio of non-local buyers has increased under COVID.

Marko, are there surveys the VREB does to query purchasers?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1983 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

I'm asking, because I don't agree with the headline or reasoning that it has anything to do with how the Island has managed Covid or that we are nearly 'Covid-free'. I think it's more likely related in that people are taking the opportunity or are forced to make changes in their life, due to Covid. Job losses, early retirement, etc. prompting a move to a cheaper venue than Vancouver.

#1984 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:29 PM

It most likely has to do with the fact that most Canadians don't feel comfortable travelling south to warmer climates and Victoria offers the mildest winter in Canada.

However, difficult to know for sure. We don't survey buyers as to why they've moved here.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1985 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:19 AM

download.png

#1986 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:32 AM

There we go. Things are starting to slow down a bit. Still, November looks like it’ll surge well above last year. Another record-breaker, Marko?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1987 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:36 AM

At the current rate of sales we might still top 800 for the month.

#1988 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 November 2020 - 05:03 PM

I don't think we will hit 800 as SFH inventory is nearly non-extinct and condo sales aren't super great. 

50/50 imo if we clear the 1991 record of 695 sales.

Keep in mind sales slow down as we go through November.

• Mike K. likes this

#1989 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

Marko, there's talk about a cessation of open houses on the mainland. Will this be expanded to the Island/Victoria?

Know it all.

#1990 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:53 AM

Yes, no open houses here either. Not that it matters at all, nothing sells as a result of an open house anyway.

#1991 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 03:09 PM

I always thought that the sole purpose of an open house was for the agent to self themselves to prospective further clients (like the neighbours who drop by for a look. ) personally I have been impressed by a handful of agents at open houses and absolutely horrified by many others.

#1992 TheInterior

TheInterior
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 06:34 PM

MarkoJ, can you provide a quick summary about the current Langford Condo market right now? I was wondering if Langford Condos in the 300-400k range are selling for more or less than their listed prices suggest. Bear Mountain condos are only lasting a week on realtor.ca, but condos in the Langford core are sticking around for a few weeks. I'm driving down from the Interior to buy a condo, so I need a rough time frame to figure out how long I have from a listing to a possible offer. Thanks!

#1993 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 November 2020 - 06:56 PM

Yes, no open houses here either. Not that it matters at all, nothing sells as a result of an open house anyway.

Incorrect. I bought my place after an open house viewing :).

#1994 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:35 AM

MarkoJ, can you provide a quick summary about the current Langford Condo market right now? I was wondering if Langford Condos in the 300-400k range are selling for more or less than their listed prices suggest. Bear Mountain condos are only lasting a week on realtor.ca, but condos in the Langford core are sticking around for a few weeks. I'm driving down from the Interior to buy a condo, so I need a rough time frame to figure out how long I have from a listing to a possible offer. Thanks!

And if you haven't done so already, check out https://victoria.citified.ca/condos/ to view the active pre-sales and recent completions on the West Shore.

Know it all.

#1995 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:06 AM

download.png

#1996 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:10 AM

For example, in the last 30 days the condos in Langford between 300 and 400k have been listed for an average for $369,499 and have sold for an average of $362,444.

• sebberry likes this

#1997 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:20 AM

For SFDs, how important do you suppose the time of year you list really is? Is November/December as bad an idea as they say?

#1998 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:21 PM

For SFDs, how important do you suppose the time of year you list really is? Is November/December as bad an idea as they say?

Not really that important. The market strength in general is probably 95% of the equation and the time of year is probably the remaining 5%. I.e. it is a lot easier to sell a SFH right now/December in a super hot market like we are in now versus a in April/May in a slow market.

#1999 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:09 AM

download.png

#2000 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:12 AM

So with 8 days left to go, we have already reached November 2019's monthly total. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users