Victoria Real-Estate Board statistics

• Please log in to reply
2695 replies to this topic

#2041 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:42 AM

I feel like a 'not perfect but good' house can be made 'great' much more easily than a condo.  My biggest fear is accepting an offer on mine and not finding a place then wasting money on rent eating away at the maximum price I can afford.

Problem is when the perfect places comes up at the right price the sellers are unlikely to consider a subject to sale offer as they have other offers that are not subject to. Condo market is not as hot as the detached market so you can often get 5-7 business days for conditions, but subject to sale is very unlikely. 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2042 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:47 AM

Realtors could make a killing on short term rentals off people like me...

Oh wait.  :D 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2043 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 February 2021 - 09:06 AM

download.png

Full set of numbers coming later today.

• Nparker likes this

#2044 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 09:11 AM

More than a 50% increase over January 2020.

#2045 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:39 AM

download.png

#2046 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:40 AM

A strong start to February.  :)

#2047 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:44 AM

Holy moly. At this rate, 800 sales is not out of the question.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2048 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:50 AM

I'm now starting to see condos go for crazy prices :(

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#2049 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

You gotta make the jump right fast. By the looks of its, the next phase of price appreciation will be squarely focused at condos as the disparity in pricing between SFDs and condos is staggeringly high at the moment.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2050 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:24 AM

Nah, I'm already screwed at this point.  I'm looking at a ~15k special assessment in a building people don't want (restrictions).  Anything close to comparable in terms of size and space is now quickly becoming out of reach and/or is in Langford.

#2051 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:12 AM

Nah, I'm already screwed at this point.  I'm looking at a ~15k special assessment in a building people don't want (restrictions).  Anything close to comparable in terms of size and space is now quickly becoming out of reach and/or is in Langford.

If only owners were smart enough to realize that restrictions limit the number of buyers; therefore, supress market value. The average owner I talk to in a heavily restricted building just doesn't seem to believe it. Their logic is "no rentals is actually beneficial and market value is higher." 

#2052 m3m

m3m
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

If only owners were smart enough to realize that restrictions limit the number of buyers; therefore, supress market value. The average owner I talk to in a heavily restricted building just doesn't seem to believe it. Their logic is "no rentals is actually beneficial and market value is higher." 

I find that people have a hard time differentiating between "market value" and "value to me" generally. 

• sebberry likes this

#2053 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:34 AM

I find that people have a hard time differentiating between "market value" and "value to me" generally. 

When it comes to condos aspects that make them a great place to live don't always make them a great place to invest and vice-versa.

• Matt R., Danma and Jables like this

#2054 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:36 AM

Not only that, our property manager who used to be an appraiser 10 years ago says Realtors are just making this stuff up so they can show unrestricted places and make a faster buck.  He claims that it'll take a little longer to sell, but it'll go for more money because of the restrictions.  And the owners lap it up like the prohibited kittens to milk.  

And then I read in our latest minutes 'The appraiser for the insurance appraisal said that because we're following our bylaws, the building value has increased'.  No, the bylaws have nothing to do with replacement construction costs due to an insurable loss.  Not only do they believe their own BS, they'll report it as fact.  

#2055 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:46 AM

Question - sort of related

Can an owner hold an open house for rentals/sale in these COVID restricted times without going against health regulations?

Also can a realtor?

#2056 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:49 AM

Yes. Work (selliing a house is work) is not a social function.

#2057 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:57 AM

Agents are strongly discouraged from doing open houses; however, I don't think it is prohibited outright. 

#2058 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:26 PM

The one we sold in March couldn’t even get CMHC insurance! Still sold for asking in less than a day, but the restrictions sure do limit the potential purchasers.

Matt.

#2059 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:56 AM

download.png

#2060 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:04 AM

Still looking strong for February.  :thumbsup:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users