• Please log in to reply
2695 replies to this topic

#2341 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 June 2022 - 02:12 PM

A conversation with Marko, with additional details of the real-estate market in May.

May’s real-estate activity all vanilla as Victoria housing market hummed along

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2342 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2022 - 03:02 PM

download.png

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2343 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 03:07 PM

Based on sales to date, the extrapolated total sales for this month looks a bit ominous: 666:eek:

#2344 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 03:11 PM

Interesting times, wonder how many presale condo buyers might be in trouble of the rates go up another two points before their closing?

• Matt R. likes this

#2345 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 06:31 PM

I've been following Gulf islands real estate over the past 18 months or so. It's been silent lately. Nothing sells and tons of downward PC.
  • Matt R. likes this

#2346 justaguy

justaguy

Yeah, that guy.

• 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 06:35 PM

The big Banks 5yr is 5%, posted is 6-7% already...hearing about a number of multi-family projects stalling all across Canada. Folks are making conditional offers again with longer subjects (a good thing). Question is will we see 2017 or 2008? 

#2347 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 10:53 PM

I've been following Gulf islands real estate over the past 18 months or so. It's been silent lately. Nothing sells and tons of downward PC.

Nothing but sold signs on my trips around salt spring. There is one house, three levels, three units, on my street that has loads of curb appeal but hasn’t sold after a few weeks on the market. Very unusual.

https://matrix.vanco...tYWlsLmNvbQ==#1

Bring on the market crash!

Edited by Matt R., 08 June 2022 - 11:00 PM.

#2348 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 05:30 AM

Nothing but sold signs on my trips around salt spring. There is one house, three levels, three units, on my street that has loads of curb appeal but hasn’t sold after a few weeks on the market. Very unusual.

https://matrix.vanco...tYWlsLmNvbQ==#1

Bring on the market crash!

Im going to say fragmented then. My PCS is for waterfront places in the 1.5-2.5 range, and 5 of the first 7 are price changes down. One place for 1.78m sold for 1.2, another 2.1 sold for 1.975. Not much going on.  Maybe travel restriction related. Places were selling for big premiums, but not anymore.

#2349 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 06:06 AM

Matt, it is not the RE crash that should worry you but whether we are on the edge of a major recession.

#2350 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 06:29 AM

People still gotta eat. Matt should be alright.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2351 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 06:32 AM

Im going to say fragmented then. My PCS is for waterfront places in the 1.5-2.5 range, and 5 of the first 7 are price changes down. One place for 1.78m sold for 1.2, another 2.1 sold for 1.975. Not much going on. Maybe travel restriction related. Places were selling for big premiums, but not anymore.

I’m looking forward to normalcy returning to the market. There are absurdly priced listings out there and the agents should never have allowed their clients to list at dumb prices, just to see the properties inevitably linger for months on end.

Know it all.

#2352 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 07:37 AM

Absolutely agree that some of the prices seem absurd but the strange thing is that they seem to be sometimes selling at those prices. 

#2353 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:00 AM

If you're in no rush to sell, why not shoot for the stars?

#2354 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:03 AM

There are high prices for desirable properties, and then there are high prices for product that is unreasonably priced by comparison.

A $13.2 million mansion just sold the other week in Uplands, after a very short time on the market for such an expensive property. Meanwhile there are homes languishing for month three now at $1.3 million that are worth $1 million.

What this sort of shift in the market does is it brings reality back into the equation. Don’t list a $1.5 million property for $1.1 hoping you get a bidding war, and don’t list a $1 million property for $1.3 thinking people won’t catch on to what you’re doing.

Know it all.

#2355 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:32 AM

Im going to say fragmented then. My PCS is for waterfront places in the 1.5-2.5 range, and 5 of the first 7 are price changes down. One place for 1.78m sold for 1.2, another 2.1 sold for 1.975. Not much going on. Maybe travel restriction related. Places were selling for big premiums, but not anymore.

Mine isn’t quite so rich lol. Those will be the first properties to slow down I am sure.

I see one of our local famous musicians is selling his live work space in town. Neat looking spot.

#2356 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:33 AM

Matt, it is not the RE crash that should worry you but whether we are on the edge of a major recession.

Who said I was worried.

#2357 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:35 AM

If you're in no rush to sell, why not shoot for the stars?

Don't forget one of the main roles as an agent is to just get listings. This is why you mostly see ads of the agent or agency and not the properties for sale. So if one agent tells you i'll sell your house for$1 million and the other says i'll sell it for $700k most will go with the former. This will of course drive the mass formation of agents. Hopefully we can see some natural forces bring things back to earth. All the cool kids are leaving because they can't afford it here. I lost one of my employees at the end of 2019 to Calgary because I couldn't afford to pay him enough to buy a house here. That was 2019 prices.... I don't make enough to buy here at these prices. 

#2358 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:51 AM

A friend is listing his condo this weekend and moving to Calgary. Born (I think?) and raised here, but it's time to move on, he says. Once he sells his Langford condo he'll buy in in Calgary without the need for a mortgage.

Know it all.

#2359 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:53 AM

...Once he sells his Langford condo he'll buy in in Calgary without the need for a mortgage.

In other words, he's benefited from our region's sky-high real estate prices.

#2360 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:01 AM

I don't know if moving to Calgary is necessarily a benefit. It's perhaps an unfortunate reflection of how expensive it is to live here, even if you do 'own' your own condo.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users