Victoria Real-Estate Board statistics

• Please log in to reply
2695 replies to this topic

#1321 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

Last year as of January 9th there were 65 sales. If we were to average out this year's sales of 41 by the 8th we'd be looking at 46 by the 9th.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1322 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

Still it will be interesting to see how the market plays out over January or February.

Mike, you could very well be right that more and more people will be renting.  Also, I am curious do you have to pass the stress test to get a secured line of credit against your house?

#1323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

I don’t think lines of credit have such challenges.

Banks actually “want” people on LOC’s. They love offering them to homeowners.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1324 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

I found this:

It also becomes tougher to qualify for a home equity line of credit (HELOC) with banks, assuming the 200 bps stress test is greater than the current “benchmark rate” stress test at the time you apply

• Today most people qualify for bank HELOCs at 4.89%. On January 1, assuming rates don’t change, they’d qualify at 5.70%.

https://www.ratespy....s-test-10174935

#1325 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

How is it becoming tougher to qualify?

Know it all.

#1326 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

good question, I am assuming they put you thru the same stress test?  No difference between refinancing for an additional 200k and getting a secured lined of credit for 200k?

If that is true then that it why the high interest rate secondary mortgage industry is booming since they can't get money elsewhere.

#1327 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

I'd hope that they don't put you through the same stress test.  It seems to me that there would be very little risk to banks since most HELOCs only allow you to borrow up to 80% of your home's value.  You are simply accessing equity/money that you've already earned either from paying down your existing mortgage or through market appreciation.  If I were to sell my property, that equity would be cash in my pocket. I always viewed HELOCs as simply a tool to liquify money that you already own, but can't access because it's tied up in your house. 

I was planning on getting a HELOC later this year to use essentially as bridge financing to pay off my student loans. So I guess we'll see. 

#1328 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

^Not disagreeing with what you are saying, but we have confirmed that refinancing your home requires a stress test.  I don't see much difference between refinancing and HELOC

Just did another search, here is another article confirming HELOC treated the same as mortgages under OSFI stress test:

http://business.fina...sured-mortgages

So basically if you want any money from or purchase real estate and you aren't paying cash, expect to go thru a stress test

#1329 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

^Not disagreeing with what you are saying, but we have confirmed that refinancing your home requires a stress test.  I don't see much difference between refinancing and HELOC

Just did another search, here is another article confirming HELOC treated the same as mortgages under OSFI stress test:

http://business.fina...sured-mortgages

So basically if you want any money from or purchase real estate and you aren't paying cash, expect to go thru a stress test

Which is as it should be.  The point of the stress test is to reduce risk from overleveraging.  It would make zero sense to impose a stress test on acquiring the mortgage and then let someone turn around and take the money out again via a HELOC with no stress test.

#1330 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:08 AM

Or pay a higher rate with a private lender, or, for the time being, go to a credit union as they’re not bound by OSFI regulations.

Know it all.

#1331 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

Federally regulated ones are... I think that is just Coast Capital?

#1332 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

Yes, as long as they're not federally regulated by the OSFI. There are several credit unions operating locally, the biggest after CC being Island Savings, I think.

Know it all.

#1333 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

Coast Capital members voted over a year ago to go federal. 

#1334 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Is it worth coming up with a list of credit unions that are not affected?  Vancity is regulated by OSFI

#1335 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

Yes, I think that would be very helpful.

Know it all.

#1336 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

We only have 2 other credit unions to check?  Island Savings and Coastal Community?

#1337 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

Van City

#1338 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

^

Vancity is regulated by OSFI

Jonny also said Coast Capital is federally regulated for the last year

#1339 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

From what I have heard thru general conversation, credit unions are basically maxed out on mortgages.  I don't know the details, but I would assume they have had a rush of people who failed the stress test at the banks?  Can anyone else confirm that?

I haven't had the time to stop by Island Savings or Coastal Community to check it out myself

#1340 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

From what I have heard thru general conversation, credit unions are basically maxed out on mortgages.  I don't know the details, but I would assume they have had a rush of people who failed the stress test at the banks?  Can anyone else confirm that?

I haven't had the time to stop by Island Savings or Coastal Community to check it out myself

The smaller lenders rely on bulk portfolio insurance to get the loans off their books.  Problem is CMHC also drastically cut back on that.   So there is definitely a limit to what they can take on. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users