Victoria Real-Estate Board statistics

• Please log in to reply
2697 replies to this topic

#1681 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

I think less a cooling and just a plateau for a while. Typical Victoria real estate price pattern. Up, flat, up, flat, up, flat...

Sales for March look to likely equal sales for March last year.

#1682 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:09 AM

Victoria Real Estate Board
Mon Apr 1, 2019:

Mar Mar
2019 2018
Net Unconditional Sales: 640 688
New Listings: 1,284 1,188
Active Listings: 2,435 1,766

Please Note

Left Column: stats for the entire month from this year
Right Column: stats for the entire month from last year
This information comes from the latest 'Monthly Comparative Activity By Property Type' Report 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1683 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:14 AM

7% dip, 38% more inventory.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1684 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

7% dip, 38% more inventory.

wow

#1685 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:29 AM

We’re finally moving towards a balanced market. It’s been a seller’s market for quite a while.
  • VIResident likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1686 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

We’re finally moving towards a balanced market. It’s been a seller’s market for quite a while.

hmmmmm...BUT March 2019 numbers ARE a 51% increase from Feb./19 :) condo pricing up every so slightly and the number of residences for sale is still well below the 10 year avg of approx. 3,400

#1687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

Yes, and that’s most likely the fall-out from an unseasonably cold and snowy February.

Know it all.

#1688 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

Right so a somewhat better buyers market, not by much and not for long you figure? 

#1689 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:22 PM

I suspect the Conservatives will kill or drastically alter the stress test as one of their first policy revisions.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#1690 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:47 PM

I suspect the Conservatives will kill or drastically alter the stress test as one of their first policy revisions.

OSFI is not a political body. Doubt they will be pressured to reverse a sensible policy measure

#1691 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

SFH prices down 2.8% or ~25k year over year although condo prices are up 1% or ~5k year over year

• VIResident likes this

#1692 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:58 PM

OSFI is not a political body. Doubt they will be pressured to reverse a sensible policy measure

While that's true, with interest rates no longer likely to rise much, I think we'll see a revision of the rule. Qualify at 1% highe4 than the offered rate, for example (as opposed to the current 2%)

#1693 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:44 PM

A sensible policy doesn’t need another policy to untangle the first policy’s mess.

Know it all.

#1694 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:57 AM

A sensible policy doesn’t need another policy to untangle the first policy’s mess.

And neither does the stress test since there is no new policy to untangle it.

#1695 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:02 AM

While that's true, with interest rates no longer likely to rise much, I think we'll see a revision of the rule. Qualify at 1% highe4 than the offered rate, for example (as opposed to the current 2%)

I assume there was some actuarial reason they chose 2% but I don’t know the reasoning behind it. It might be less about anticipating a 2% interest rate increase and more about establishing a buffer for any kind of adverse event like income drop.

#1696 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:58 AM

And neither does the stress test since there is no new policy to untangle it.

The Liberal’s first time buyer program.

It’s so disingenuous for CMHC to have propped up the stress test when it came under fire recently for stalling the market, only to offer tens of thousands of dollars to Canadians struggling to get into the market ... because of the stress test.
  • VIResident likes this

Know it all.

#1697 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

The Liberal’s first time buyer program.

It’s so disingenuous for CMHC to have propped up the stress test when it came under fire recently for stalling the market, only to offer tens of thousands of dollars to Canadians struggling to get into the market ... because of the stress test.

First time buyer program will by no means counteract the stress test.   It's a very limited program that might help a couple first timers buy a condo.  I bet we won't even notice it in the sales numbers for Victoria.    CMHC wants to cool down overheated markets like Vancouver and Victoria.  Their first time buyers program is designed to really only apply to lower priced markets that took a hit from the national stress test without really needing it.

#1698 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

First time buyer program will by no means counteract the stress test.   It's a very limited program that might help a couple first timers buy a condo.  I bet we won't even notice it in the sales numbers for Victoria.    CMHC wants to cool down overheated markets like Vancouver and Victoria.  Their first time buyers program is designed to really only apply to lower priced markets that took a hit from the national stress test without really needing it.

But that's the thing, buyers don't need CMHC's help in lower priced markets.

Know it all.

#1699 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

But that's the thing, buyers don't need CMHC's help in lower priced markets.

I suspect if you asked them they would disagree.   But I bet the program won't be a big market mover anywhere.  

#1700 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

I agree that the program is dead on arrival.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users