Photo

Deaths of notable Victorians (and others)

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

I'm calling him an honourary Victorian as he entertained generations of Victorians from the 50s on through the 80s on TV every morning. TV clown J.P. Patches, aka Chris Wedes died in Seattle at 84...

Count me as a "Patches Pal" too. Weekday mornings wouldn't have been the same without a visit from the Mayor of the Junkyard and his menagerie of friends (Gertrude) and foes (Boris & Zenobia - huh). Rest in Peace J.P.; you were a part of more than a generation of happy childhood memories.

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

John Chew's "charmed life" came to a close on Sunday after the well-known Victoria businessman and philanthropist suffered a heart attack. He was 87.

Chew Companies [...] consists of Chew Excavating Ltd., Beachcomber RV Park, Tran Sign (1999) Ltd., and Victoria Contracting and Municipal Maintenance Corp.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz24HqcfxEW
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Also Wes Brynell a few days ago.

TFOOCbojC2k
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,417 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

Also Nick Bawlf died on August 11th, 2012. One of the architects for Market Square.

http://www.timescolo...9150/story.html

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

Long-time Saanich councilor Bob Gillespie has passed away.

http://saanichsouth....-gillespie.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

As noted elsewhere, Victoria lawyer Doug Christie has died. I was a little bit more sympathetic to him until I read Tom's column calling him a hypocrite: Christie claimed to fight for freedom of speech but if anyone dared to say anything bad about him he'd sue with a vengence.

http://thetyee.ca/Li...-Doug-Christie/

We were nearing the conclusion of my testimony when Christie barked, "Are you a Jew?"

The words hung in the courtroom.

I was stunned. I blinked several times in disbelief. Had I heard what I thought I'd heard? "Are you a Jew?" What the hell kind of question is that? I wondered what had sparked the question.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#27 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Dougs Funeral is Friday 10am at St Andrews Cathedral

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

R.I.P. Gipp Forster. Cfax1070 reports he passed way last night.

#29 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

That is too bad, an all around good guy. Condolences to the family.

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Gipp had those ramblings that they would play over the Christmas Season. He had a great voice. He also filled his garage on Ponderosa Crescent with a Christmas scene every year for the lighted house tour.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

dsvlvAN2QW0

#32 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

I knew Gip fairly well in the 1960's when he ran Jon Yorke's Coffee House in what was then the basement of the Westholme hotel, below what is now Monty's. I was half of what was, briefly, his most popular local folk group (Rob and Ed) and stayed around after Rob left and M.C.'d for a few bucks a night.

I certainly don't remember him as the Saint he apparently later became to Victorians in later days. This was the 60's and Gip was a big part of the scene.

When I came back from a sojourn not making it in Toronto I found that he had metamorphosed into a preacher. I am sure he was perfectly sincere but personally I found his new act rather cloying.

One notable thing Gip did was to bring Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee to town for two weeks. They sang pretty well and did even better with some of the local women. Also, Pat Paulson sang there for quite a few months before he became famous on the Smothers Brothers show. He did a famous "walk on water" act that had all the papers and radio stations covering his "stunt", which since he did it in deepish water resulted in the inevitable plunge.

Gip told a hilarious story about how Pat kept an absolutely straight face throughout the whole stunt until he was in the car and well away from the crowds of the press, whereupon he broke up totally for about 20 minutes. Well, it was hilarious the way Gip told it.

Back in the Folk days he would go on stage from time to time and sang plaintive songs rather well, but I would certainly not say he had a great voice, though he could keep a tune but his vocal range was limited. Did a nice job with Donovan songs, though.

He also bought Valdy to the club a few times. Once I spent a week backing up Valdy's act with the bass fiddle I owned then. This was before he started writing his own shows but he knew how to put on a good act and please the crowds.

Just thought I'd put this out as a rather different perspective than you are likely to hear from elsewhere. I certainly have nothing bad to say about him.

I am sure if you had asked me about him his reply would have been "who?"

#33 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for that.

#34 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

I am sure if you had asked me about him his reply would have been "who?"

That should have read:

I am sure if you had asked him about me his reply would have been "who?".

#35 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

I knew Gip fairly well in the 1960's when he ran Jon Yorke's Coffee House in what was then the basement of the Westholme hotel, below what is now Monty's.

If I recall it was Tony Else that started the coffee house, and it was know then as "The Secret". Another good group was theTom Northcott Trio, and Don Crawford "The Bald Eagle" on 12 string guitar. Do they still have the checkerboard black and white tiled floor down there?

#36 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

I the early to mid 70s he and his wife and kids lived in my neighborhood in Langford on Rita Rd

Didnt he screw up the books and was accused of something when he was in charge of the Mustard Seed when it was on Pandora.
Embezlement or something like that in the early to mid 1980s?

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

Didnt he screw up the books and was accused of something when he was in charge of the Mustard Seed when it was on Pandora.
Embezlement or something like that in the early to mid 1980s?

Victoria food bank loses founder, funds

Todd, Douglas. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 05 May 1989

Rev. Bill Cram acknowledged this week the Mustard Seed had grown "top-heavy" under Forster - with a "disproportionate" amount of money going to non-food-hamper costs.

"There was no filtering off for personal use," said Cram, who has taken over temporary leadership of the Mustard Seed board. But Mustard Seed Church might have failed, Cram said, to adequately tell donors they had to make it clear on their cheques if they wanted the money to go only to the food bank.

Mistakes, Cram said, were made. "Gipp, without question, was really autocratic. Many of the people who are on the street really needed the godfather image he provided. The tensions came because other members wanted a less autocratic government. I think he may feel he got the wrong end of the deal . . . but it was the best thing that he resigned."

#38 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

If I recall it was Tony Else that started the coffee house, and it was know then as "The Secret". Another good group was theTom Northcott Trio, and Don Crawford "The Bald Eagle" on 12 string guitar. Do they still have the checkerboard black and white tiled floor down there?

You are right about the "Secret" - I don't remember who the proprietor was but it closed at some point and Gip revived it. I seem to recall that I sang at a few hootenannies back before the ownership changed. After the Yorke closed Gip opened a disco place down near the Johnson St. bridge for awhile if I remember rightly. They had a good imitation "Doors" group as I recall. Didn't last very long I think.

But it was the 60's and much of that decade is pretty hazy...

#39 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

http://www.timescolo...s-died-1.113511

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

The old Oak Bay Boathouse where it all began.

Photo source unknown.

Moonrise over the present day Oak Bay Marina.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.