Photo

Deaths of notable Victorians (and others)

• Please log in to reply
455 replies to this topic

#441 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,243 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

I'm not sure if we can so quickly claim the clearly angle here. 

What was going on in his head only he will know. But I do think the fighting demons line is cliche. Its use means whatever someone wants it to mean, which means it means nothing. We don't focus on the fact that someone has heavy drug use and severe alcohol addiction issues, we focus on demons. Maybe we ought to, as a society, hold people responsible for their destructive lifestyles rather than labelling them as sufferers at the hands of demons? I dunno.

In any case, Bennington killed himself on Chris Cornell's birthday (Cornell was a close friend) shortly after writing an open letter on the Internet describing his longing for his friend.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#442 HB

HB
  • Suspended User
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

Now that Tom Harris is dead I noticed a car commercial with his son doing it ......not used to that

#443 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

Norman Ruff, veteran political scientist, dies at age 78

http://vancouversun....-dies-at-age-78

“One of B.C.’s most respected political scientists, whose classes influenced a generation of politicians and whose commentary shaped decades of media coverage, has died.

Norman Ruff, a professor emeritus at the University of Victoria, died Saturday evening from esophageal cancer at a hospice facility in Victoria. He was 78.

Ruff spent 36 years as a professor of political science at UVic, barely slowing down after his retirement in 2005. His classes, including undergraduate courses in B.C. and Canadian political science, helped inspire numerous students to go on to become MLAs, cabinet ministers and political staffers.

“He was a thoughtful and unique commentator, whose opinions were respected by all sides. His close study of B.C. politics gave him insights few others could match. He helped regular people understand the unique and tumultuous nature of B.C. politics. He will be missed by many British Columbians and members on all sides of the legislature.”

“Norm was brilliant at what he did,” added George Abbott, a former Liberal cabinet minister who was Ruff’s teaching assistant in the 1970s. “Just a super guy. Wonderful sense of humour, very sharp analytical mind, and obviously was a highly-favoured pundit in the province for that reason.”

…..

“It would be very difficult to emerge from a Norman Ruff political science class without being just a little bit more excited about politics.”

#444 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,210 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

Denny Gibb of Denny's Canned Music has died.

#445 Nparker

Nparker
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Every middle school sock-hopper appreciated Dennys.

Edited by Nparker, 03 September 2017 - 03:10 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#446 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator...one spark at a time

• 9,295 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

Thinking about Denny has brought back some interesting memories. He used to put on some fantastic Halloween parties at the annex to the Princess Mary. These were the days when wild was in. Us boomers were living large and playing hard.

One year at the entrance to the venue on Halloween, he had a guy dressed up as a police officer checking people in at the door keeping out the crashers and taking tickets and checking bags for god knows what. After about an hour or so I was getting bored and was looking to get into some mischief. I was dressed as a cowboy marshal. I went up to the officer in charge at the door and told him that I could spell him off if he wanted a break. He thought I was part of the staff, he thanked me, and off he went.

I took over the door and just waved everybody in. No ticket no problem. After a while I just left the door and went back to the party. Denny came by a bit later and was thoroughly pissed off that no one was manning the door.

Good times.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

#447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,243 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Awesome!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#448 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,243 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

John Dunsworth, aka Mr. Lahey on the Trailer Park Boys, passed away at 71 today.

Know it all.

#449 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

Tony Hunt Jr., master carver, age 55.

Tony Hunt Jr. was born Dec. 4, 1961, part of a renowned family of carvers and artists that includes his grandfather Henry Hunt and his great-grandfather Mungo Martin. His father, Tony Hunt Sr., hereditary chief of the Kwakwaka’wakw (KwaGulth) people of Fort Rupert, is also an artist, as are his uncles Richard Hunt and Stan Hunt. http://www.timescolo...tors-1.23064942

http://www.alchering...ny-hunt-jr.html

He created the totem at Quadra Elementary:

https://lined-paper....l-pole-raising/

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 October 2017 - 03:19 PM.

#450 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 523 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

John Dunsworth, aka Mr. Lahey on the Trailer Park Boys, passed away at 71 today.

Dunsworth was a great actor.

(I do hope Randy will be OK.)

#451 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,210 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

Dunsworth was a great actor.

(I do hope Randy will be OK.)

I met him once, at a bar I was running.  He was great (and I've never watched the show).  The way the act was set up, he had to come into the room from opposite the stage.  He had to start as an audience member heckling the other guy that was on stage.  Randy?  Dunno.  So we had to keep him in the kitchen dry storage room, instead of the "Green Room"  He's like I do not care, I can come out of the washroom stall if need be.  He was great.

#452 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,705 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

Clive Piercy has died

Piercy, a Victoria businessperson, avid angler, outdoorsman and generous community benefactor died at home on Oct. 17, just months after being diagnosed with cancer. He was 81.

His son Scott said Piercy pioneered the introduction of strata ownership in Victoria. As a developer, he was responsible for as many as 40 buildings.

But his most notable business legacy is the Chateau Victoria, which he and a partner bought in the mid 1970s. One of the hotel bars still bears his name “Clive’s.”

more; http://www.timescolo...ctor-1.23071685

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#453 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator...one spark at a time

• 9,295 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

Cody died. Darn.

#454 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,705 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Cody the Golden Retriever was a familiar sight both inside and outside of "Charmaine's Past and Present " used furniture store on Fort Street for many years.  His owners confirm on Facebook he died of old age.

Cody made the news last year when city of Victoria Animal Control Officers threatened action against his owners for allowing him to rest outside the store where he greeted customers and passersby with his classic retriever smile, and wagging tail.

So loved Cody citizens started a petition calling for bylaw to back off and allow the gentle dog to continue his friendly vigil outside the store.  The issue also drew media attention from across the country. Cody's owners kept him inside as much as possible, but every now and again he'd venture back out to resume his greeting duties. 

http://www.iheartrad...d-age-1.3398858

.JPG?f=default&$p$f=3239a5c&w=994&$w=e1a

#455 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,677 posts

Posted Today, 12:07 PM

Can we tie the late actor David Cassidy (died age 67) to Victoria?

His daughter Katie was in Melrose Place along with Victoria actor Shaun Sipos. Katie Cassidy also spent time in Victoria filming the movie "Kill For Me", produced by UVic grad Kyle Mann. 

I was sure David played a concert in Victoria a decade or more ago, maybe Harpo's but I couldn't find it. He has played Vancouver.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#456 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,705 posts

Posted Today, 12:20 PM

We have a Cassidy right here on the forum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users