Photo

Deaths of notable Victorians (and others)

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#501 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

He was just named Canada’s Best New Artist at the Maple Blues Awards in Toronto a couple of months ago… a “new” guy that had been a touring bluesman for at least 20 years…"you gotta pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues...and you know it don't come easy"

• Sparky likes this

#502 Dr.Strangelove

Dr.Strangelove
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

Jason Buie always played the Esquimalt Rib Festival. R.I.P he was so young.

#503 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

Ed Chow has died aged 86. He was active in the Chinatown Lions Club and was uncle to Councillor Thornton-Joe and Realtor Tony Joe. Along with his brother Bill, Ed operated the famous B&E market at the corner of Fort and Cook.

• Mike K. likes this

#504 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 40,894 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:49 PM

May we all go so peacefully.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#505 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:23 PM

Catching up:

Chief Andy Thomas of the Esquimalt Nation died aged 70. Cause of death was not disclosed. Involved in treaty negotiations and economic development projects.

Gerald Doumont, known as Red, the knitting panhandler, aged 58. A fixture around Downtown Victoria. Once a notorious and violent drunk with hundreds of police interactions, he managed to stabilize his life to a degree, and enjoyed knitting and gardening.

Geoffrey Castle, historian, archivist and author, born 1930. Known for his books and newspaper features on Victoria's historic buildings and houses, many illustrated by Barry F. King.

Ron Warder, aged 64. Esquimalt Alderman and then Mayor (1987-90). Later a teacher and school trustee. Involved in the teacher's union working on seniority and bargaining.

#506 qwerty

qwerty
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

RIP Red. Passed him many times on the street, usually knitting and most of the time very funny and generous, offering me some wine from his plastic pop bottle.

#507 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:13 PM

RIP Red. Passed him many times on the street, usually knitting and most of the time very funny and generous, offering me some wine from his plastic pop bottle.

Judging from Court Services Online, it appears he mellowed out in the last five years of his life. This is no reason to portray him as a nice, harmless guy. Likewise, just because he didn't personally attack you or threaten to kill you is no reason to downplay the chaos he brought to our community. All you have to do is look at Court Services Online to get a sense of the mayhem and violence he brought to Victoria and other places.

• Redd42 likes this

#508 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:26 PM

^But he is proof that even the most destructive alcoholic can be guided to a more productive existence with the help of the community. He was never fully cured, and I'm sure he still caused problems but there has to be hope for these people. 

• David Bratzer likes this

#509 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:34 PM

^But he is proof that even the most destructive alcoholic can be guided to a more productive existence with the help of the community. He was never fully cured, and I'm sure he still caused problems but there has to be hope for these people. 

Yes I have no problem with this concept. I just can't stand people on social media who are calling him a nice guy and a great person. He wasn't.  It appears he had endearing traits, for sure (like knitting).  But looking at CSO it's clear he wasn't a great man, or even a good citizen for that matter.

#510 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 51,354 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:34 AM

Everyone mellows with age just about. That might be the simple reason he’s slowed down.

"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" - zoomer, April 17, 2018

#511 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:46 AM

Everyone mellows with age just about. That might be the simple reason he’s slowed down.

Well, I think it's both. He probably just got tired of all the nonsense. 

But yes, aging is a factor, even though he wasn't much older than us. I remember a guy I spotted checking for unlocked cars on Blanshard, I waved over a cop car and they sprinted after him and tackled the guy on Johnson; "I'm 57 years old, I'm getting too old for this", he cried as he laid down with a knee in his back getting handcuffed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users