Photo

Deaths of notable Victorians (and others)

• Please log in to reply
552 replies to this topic

#541 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:37 AM

Oh no, that's crazy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#542 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

One of the last great architects of Victoria's modern era has died aged 89. 

Alan Hodgson was involved in many projects in the city, including Centennial Square, various UVic buildings and renovations to the Legislature and the MacPherson Playhouse. He's notable for his advanced modernist designs as well as his dedication to preserving heritage.

Alan was in my group when a bunch of us were invited to participate in the Centennial Square redesign charette in 2008.

TC Obituary

Hodgson's Vic West house

Hodgson-designed house for sale in Sooke

Modernist overview

5777948.jpg

• AllseeingEye likes this

#543 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

Chief Richard Couch, long time Victoria firefighter was chief from 2003 till retirement in 2006. His family says the lung cancer he died from was work-related due to many years of fire scene smoke inhalation.

https://www.victoria...hard-couch.html

#544 Benezet

Benezet
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:00 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-dead-1.4740130

Krista Carlé

“She turned all the negativity into something positive. She didn't let it beat her," Cliffe said.

"She made and was making a huge difference for not just women in the RCMP for everybody. For making it a better work environment and ensuring that people were held accountable. That was her goal: accountability for the employees."

#545 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,169 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:26 PM

Bummer: I knew JJ through my dad quite well. One of the (very) good guys and also one of the most distinctive radio voices on the west coast in his day: 

https://www.pugetsou...-news-director/

#546 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:51 AM

Metchosin District Councillor Moralea Milne was killed in a car accident over the weekend. She had planned to retire after the fall election.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...crash-1.4767638

#547 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:05 AM

This fellow was a frequent sight on Victoria's streets.

38531436_10155318032477271_5728775774819844096_n.jpg

#548 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:27 PM

Indeed he was.

RIP.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#549 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

Gary Hynes died yesterday. He was the founder, art director and editor-in-chief of Victoria's "EAT Magazine" which he created 20 years ago.

Interview: https://seasidemagaz...a/can-talk-3-4/

His Obituary is now on the TC obit's page.

This man took the back seat in his publication EAT and let others shine.  Sadly, He did not receive the credit he deserved for being a major influence in helping shape the awesome food scene we now have in Victoria.

EAT magazine was always super positive about the Victoria food scene (perhaps to a slight fault) but in the early years provided a much needed voice for upstarts -- whether that was chefs, restaurants, new foodie ideas, etc...

RIP Gary

• Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

#550 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,169 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

One of the last great architects of Victoria's modern era has died aged 89. 

Alan Hodgson was involved in many projects in the city, including Centennial Square, various UVic buildings and renovations to the Legislature and the MacPherson Playhouse. He's notable for his advanced modernist designs as well as his dedication to preserving heritage.

Alan was in my group when a bunch of us were invited to participate in the Centennial Square redesign charette in 2008.

TC Obituary

Hodgson's Vic West house

Hodgson-designed house for sale in Sooke

Modernist overview

5777948.jpg

Because I'd stepped away from the Craft for awhile I was unaware of Alan's passing. Made me quite sad as he was without question one of the most knowledgeable members of the fraternity I've encountered, a great source of information on the esoteric arts and aspects of Lodge custom and culture. He also had an acerbic wit and certainly did not hesitate to respond in kind to anyone who dare challenge him on his interpretation of the masonic code. I shall miss him.

#551 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:36 AM

We've lost so many of Victoria's well-known colourful street characters this year, Brother Paul, Paul Irwin the pencil guy, Big John the magazine seller outside the Bay Centre, Big Red the troubled homeless knitter. 

I think it was virtually impossible to visit Downtown and not see at least one of them. Each one had a very interesting and complex past. Who would guess the quiet old man in the monk's robe was a WWII paratrooper, or that the laughing, gentle giant knitting on the street corner had a history of drunken violence?

Victoria is a little less interesting without them.

#552 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

Yet another local architect died earlier this year. Benjamin Patterson, born 1923 was a decorated WWII bomber pilot who later joined up with Alan Lester to form Peterson + Lester Architects.

They were responsible for an amazing amount of Victoria's architecture. A sampling:

Spectrum Community School

Queen Victoria Inn, Douglas St.

Rembrandt Apartments, 1475 Pandora

Gordon Head Rec Centre

Various Island schools

Victoria Coast Guard Base

Canadian forces Recruitment Centre

Victoria Conference Centre ( in association with Bawlf Cooper)

Three Point Motors

Victoria Police Headquarters

Camosun College Interurban Campus:

• Campus Centre
  • Technologies Building
  • Centre for Business Access

UVic:

• Saunders Building
  • Phoenix Theatre
  • Visual Arts Buildings 

1993 YYJ extension

#553 Spurtz

Spurtz
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

This fellow was a frequent sight on Victoria's streets.

attachicon.gif38531436_10155318032477271_5728775774819844096_n.jpg

I remember this fella.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.