Photo

Deaths of notable Victorians (and others)

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

I've never heard of her but she sounded like a pioneering go-getter. We need more of her type.

http://www.timescolo...-style-1.227652

Businesswoman Helen Beirnes, who has died at age 85, travelled Canada and the U.S. to promote tourism in Victoria, served on city council and was an early advocate of restoring the city’s historic character.

• chairwoman of the chamber’s Victorian Day committee
  • first woman president of the Victoria Chamber of Commerce
  • Victoria city council from 1976-1977
  • business partner with Floss Prior at the Captain’s Palace restaurant
  • wrote a weekly column for the Victorian, a local publication
  • hosted two local television shows
  • etc.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,493 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

I've never heard of her but she sounded like a pioneering go-getter. We need more of her type.

http://www.timescolo...-style-1.227652

• chairwoman of the chamber’s Victorian Day committee
  • first woman president of the Victoria Chamber of Commerce
  • Victoria city council from 1976-1977
  • business partner with Floss Prior at the Captain’s Palace restaurant
  • wrote a weekly column for the Victorian, a local publication
  • hosted two local television shows
  • etc.

Very well known locally "back in the day", that timeframe being primarily in the 1970's; got to know her quite well through my dad since they worked together at the old Victoria Cablevision, now "Shaw". She was one (very) smart, and very driven to succeed woman. Huge proponent of Victoria has a tourist destination. Suspect Tourism Victoria could use her energy and keen intelligence right about now....

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Long-time Victoria broadcaster Joe Easingwood has died, at age 75.

He was most recently with Cfax1070, from 1981 until his retirement in 2010.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Sad to hear this. Thanks to my folks, Joe was a big part of my growing up here in Victoria.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

The service is on July 6th and open to the public.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,148 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Cory Monteith, star of the hit show Glee found dead in Vancouver

Vancouver police announced at a late press conference Saturday night that Cory Monteith, star of the Fox show Glee is dead. [...]

http://www.theprovin...7774/story.html

#47 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

I've never watched any episode of Glee and Cory was never an actor I think I've even seen perform on tv, however I have read a few things about him in passing interest because of his connection to Victroria and it sounded like before he became a household name he perhaps had some struggles like so many others out there do.

I could only imagine what the pressure of Hollywood and stardom can do to someone who came to bat fragile.

The last few months it was known he was struggling and was trying to get help. It's unfortunate that, and I'm assuming here because they toxicology report hasn't come back, that another persons personal demons took them away much to soon.

If there is any bright light at the end of the tunnel here it is at the very least most of us try to achieve some sort of legacy to leave behind and he managed to do that in spades.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#48 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

CNN) -- "Glee" star Cory Monteith died as a result of "a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol," the British Columbia Coroners Service said Tuesday.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t3

#49 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

People die of Heroine overdoses in this city on a fairly regular basis . No one notices or cares...except of course if you are considered a celebrity.

I personally never heard of this guy.

You reap what you sow I suppose.

If the media spent as much time naming people who died of drug over doses and did stories on them it would be daily news but those people are all nobodies .

Pretty sad statement on our society

#50 Greg

Greg
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

People die of Heroine overdoses in this city on a fairly regular basis . No one notices or cares...except of course if you are considered a celebrity.

I personally never heard of this guy.

You reap what you sow I suppose.

If the media spent as much time naming people who died of drug over doses and did stories on them it would be daily news but those people are all nobodies .

Pretty sad statement on our society

Yeah, if we're supposed to feel sorry for a guy who had all kinds of advantages and still couldn't kick his demons (and I suppose we should on some level), then we should really be more empathetic to people who were dealt a much tougher hand to play and aren't able to conquer their demons. If you can't stay clean while hanging out in the Fairmont Pacific Rim, then the guy living in the street has a pretty uphill battle.

#51 jonny

jonny
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Tell me about it. Every person who dies should make the front page of the paper.

Our society is disgusting indeed.

#52 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

He was a figure on Victoria Streets for many years.

Quite a character he was.

His French accent and his quirky ways and his sense of humour brightened the days of many people.

I stopped and talked to him 2 days ago and snapped a picture of him probably the last picture ever taken of him and ironically on the day he was to die.

Many people go about thier business and walk around our marginalised brothers and sisters.

I am happy that I took time out of my days to chat with him now and then instead of avoiding him.

I hope he is in a better place now.

RIP Jean Luc

#53 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

I agree, he put a smile on my face many times. Rest in Peace.

#54 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:39 AM

Ok I know he is not from Victoria but he is notable and always on Victoria news broadcasts.

Tim Jones North Shore S&R

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-died-1.2503178

#55 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Ok I know he is not from Victoria but he is notable and always on Victoria news broadcasts.

Tim Jones North Shore S&R

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-died-1.2503178

He was an amateur radio operator and tonight the B.C. Public Service Net, held on 3729 Khz every day at 01:30 Zulu, observed one minute of silence in his honor.

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

He was an amateur radio operator and tonight the B.C. Public Service Net, held on 3729 Khz every day at 01:30 Zulu, observed one minute of silence in his honor.

According to the news he was more than a radio operator, he was a hero in the Search and Rescue world and died of a heart attack out in the very area that he worked.

#57 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,493 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

According to the news he was more than a radio operator, he was a hero in the Search and Rescue world and died of a heart attack out in the very area that he worked.

That he was and given the circumstances an entirely appropriate way to go - doing something he was passionate about. So much better than lying sick in bed. Great guy. RIP Tim.

#58 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

Long-time Victorians will remember broadcaster John Barton, who passed away last week at the age of 82.

#59 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

^Sad news for anyone who watched CHEK in the 70s and 80s. He had that classic mellow broadcaster's voice. There's a little overview of his long career here:

http://bcradiohistor...hies/Barton.htm

Despite the countless hours he's spent on TV and radio since 1949 I wasn't able to find a single online video of him to post here. Which is sad considering the infinite hours of mindless junk on YouTube et al.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

For Immediate Release
2014FIN0019-000725
May 27, 2014 Ministry of Finance Statement on the death of Hon. Hugh Curtis, former B.C. minister of finance

VICTORIA – Finance Minister Michael de Jong issued the following statement on the passing of Hugh Curtis:

“As British Columbia’s longest-serving minister of finance, Hugh Curtis served British Columbians with distinction and dignity in the provincial legislature.

“Curtis had the challenge of managing the province’s finances during the 1980s, a time of great restraint under Premier William Bennett. His strong leadership helped guide the province through tumultuous economic times.

“In his roles, both as cabinet minister and mayor of Saanich, Curtis understood the need for fiscal prudence – a need we well understand today – and he undertook the challenge to make sure the province’s finances were in the best state possible.

“I know that all members of the Legislature of British Columbia will want to convey our respect for the work he performed on behalf of British Columbians and his municipal constituents and extend our condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.”

Hugh Curtis served as an MLA from 1972 to 1986. He was minister of municipal affairs from 1975 to 1978 and minister of finance from 1979 to 1986 under Premiers William Bennett and Bill Vander Zalm. Prior to being elected to the legislative assembly, he served as a Saanich councillor and mayor.

I confess I thought he had already died, but I think I was confusing him with the late Mel Couvelier, also a Saanich alderman that became a Socred MLA.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.