• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Does anyone have any good recommendations for mechanics?

I always take my car out to the dealership, but I have a friend who neglects his car and it now needs a bit of work.

Thanks!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,418 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

^ Searl's on Kelvin.....Talk to Chris or Blake. Tell them Sparky sent you.

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,793 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

The guys at ScotiaAutomotive at Burnside/Douglas are great too......

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,418 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

The guys at ScotiaAutomotive at Burnside/Douglas are great too......

Scotia Automotive offers the most cost effective oil change. Good people.

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

The good folks at Victoria Transmission and Auto Care do fantastic work, Government @ Herald.

Busy shop, lots of repeat business.

http://victrans.com/

Matt.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Ok, thanks guys, I'll pass it along!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#7 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

Jade Automotive on Pembroke. For dealer work on Acuras (Hondas, too) I highly recommend Campus Acura. I know, I can't believe I'm advocating dealership mechanics, either!

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

My friend has a Mazda.

The estimates for the needed work from the garage seemed a bit high.

Saunders has always treated me well, that's why I take mine to the dealership.

#9 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

scoita auto ,tire department I would never go back charged double the quote for tire install with out a call to ok it .300 dollars to install tires , thieves . I will not ever go back ,check around Searls is far better ,and honest,check around we still have places like Williams on quadra ,Marigold service on bunrnside..Island muffler and brake ..what does he need done ?? basic ..or major repairs?? is the car worth it ??no use spending thousands on a 500 dollar honda..

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,220 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

I had the most terrible experience at Scotia. During an oil change the mechanic discharged the oil gun into my vehicle, covering it from top to bottom with oil. The managers/owners tried to deflate the situation and accused me of trying to force a professional detailing out of them (I demanded a professional clean the car, not their mechanics who were running around with rags in an effort to clean up the oil).

I had to call in "friend backup" to turn the situation around, otherwise I would have been stiffed with a car doused in oil and had no recourse.

That was, by far, the absolute worst customer relations incident I'd ever been directly involved in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

We like taking our car to Ellice Automotive on John St. in Rock Bay. They fix anything but seem to specialize in Volkswagens.

Last year, our station wagon developed a bad head gasket leak. Normally, this is a fatal engine problem in a used car, as the labour charge alone on a fix costs more than the car is worth. We didn't need a compression test to tell us what was wrong. Rough engine, belching white smoke, little power--a mechanic told us it was actually running with one dead cylinder.

We started shopping for a new car as the old one was now a lost cause suitable only for the junkyard. In desperation I bought a $70 bottle of Rislone Head Gasket Treatment. You pour it into the radiator and let the car idle for half an hour with the radio and heater going full blast. Then you let it sit overnight and cure.

It's been almost a year and it's still running as good as new.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,418 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

^ That is a great tip Rob. When the chev 283 V8 engines were popular, the head gasket between cylinders 3 and 4 on the passenger side was known to fail on a regular basis.

I used to keep an eye open for the "mechanic's special" advertised in the Colonist where people would sell their cars cheap because of the water in the oil and the oil in the water.

I would pay $6.00 for a new head gasket from Morrison Chev Olds and have that car back on the road (and for sale) by suppertime.

I liked the $70 Rislone story. I had not heard of that product.

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

^There are other engine treatments, but that one specifically targets the head gasket. The liquid has what looks like copper powder in it. In addition to our Taurus/Sable engine I am told that the Cadillac Northstar engine is notorious for faulty head gaskets.

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,793 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

I think I gave these guys some love in the "Thumb's Up!" thread but bears repeating here IMO; I have dealt with Bull Frog Transmission several times over the years but most recently last fall. They saved me over $1000 on a rebuilt transmission for a Ford Explorer. These guys are professional, courteous and really know their transmissions...!

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

I had the most terrible experience at Scotia. During an oil change the mechanic discharged the oil gun into my vehicle.

I heard a similar story from one of the Subaru forum guys at a Jiffy-lube type place. I can't believe that stuff happens :mad:

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

We started shopping for a new car as the old one was now a lost cause suitable only for the junkyard. In desperation I bought a $70 bottle of Rislone Head Gasket Treatment. You pour it into the radiator and let the car idle for half an hour with the radio and heater going full blast. Then you let it sit overnight and cure.

Interesting. If and when the gaskets go on my Subaru I'll be looking at a $2,500-$3,000 fix. So far the turbo engines have been better than the NA engines, but it does happen.

#17 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Faintly OT for this thread, but worth a try anyway.

I just barely dinged my tailgate backing into a post. I'd ignore it, except the paint chipped to bare metal and I don't want bare metal exposed to the elements.

There is no way I'm asking ICBC to pay for such a stupid self-inflicted ding. Any suggestions for a body shop that will play fairly with me? Probably a dent pull and respray for the tailgate.

#18 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

I think we were quoted around $1500 to fix the head gasket. The problem we were told, is that the head gasket in the Fords is near the centre of the engine; you practically have to spend half a day dismantling the engine just to get at it. But as Sparky says, if you're mechanically inclined with time on your hands it can be a moneymaker for you.

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

There is no way I'm asking ICBC to pay for such a stupid self-inflicted ding. Any suggestions for a body shop that will play fairly with me? Probably a dent pull and respray for the tailgate.

I have no first hand experience with them, but my dealership has recommended Belmont Collision to me in the past. They've done a couple of alignments for me but no paint/bodywork.

I think we were quoted around $1500 to fix the head gasket. The problem we were told, is that the head gasket in the Fords is near the centre of the engine; you practically have to spend half a day dismantling the engine just to get at it. But as Sparky says, if you're mechanically inclined with time on your hands it can be a moneymaker for you.

The boxer engine in the Subaru means the engine has to come out of the car before you can even lift the heads off the block. :o

#20 inhalien

inhalien
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

I had the most terrible experience at Scotia. During an oil change the mechanic discharged the oil gun into my vehicle, covering it from top to bottom with oil. The managers/owners tried to deflate the situation and accused me of trying to force a professional detailing out of them (I demanded a professional clean the car, not their mechanics who were running around with rags in an effort to clean up the oil).

I had to call in "friend backup" to turn the situation around, otherwise I would have been stiffed with a car doused in oil and had no recourse.

That was, by far, the absolute worst customer relations incident I'd ever been directly involved in.

Scotia installed the wrong fuel injector in one of my cars and it never ran right after that. After being warned away by another shop to "go anywhere but Scotia", I haven't been back.

I take all my vehicles to Parkside Motors.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users