Photo

Victoria auto mechanic recommendations

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 inhalien

inhalien
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Have heard good things about Bullfrog for transmissions too.

#22 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

I had just been at Dunsmuir Super Service. I don't have much to compare it to in town. Service was friendly. Was referred to the shop by another tire shop in that area (which was referred to me by Parkside Motors).

What are your thoughts on dealership mechanics vs independent shops?

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,005 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

What are your thoughts on dealership mechanics vs independent shops?

With everything, it comes down to the quality of the mechanics and the honesty of the service reps. I like my dealer, but I hear lots of little horror stories from other people who use their dealers for service.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

You pour it into the radiator and let the car idle for half an hour with the radio and heater going full blast. Then you let it sit overnight and cure.

It's been almost a year and it's still running as good as new.

Sounds good to me! Which radio station did you use?

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,540 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Rob, what's up with having the radio on full blast and heater on high as a component of fixing the gasket problem?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 martini

martini
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

I take my car to Vic West Auto & Detailing. Always been fair and I think they have the most competitive hourly rate in town.

Just tell them 'Sunshine' sent you. :)

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,005 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Rob, what's up with having the radio on full blast and heater on high as a component of fixing the gasket problem?

I think the radio is to keep the car company while it idles away all by its lonesome, but the heater needs to be on to ensure that the coolant continues to flow through the heater core so that the gasket fix doesn't plug it up.

It shouldn't matter if the heater is on or not since the coolant is always flowing through the core.. I think.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Faulty memory--according to the directions, the fan and heater are both set on high. I think it's to put extra load on the cooling system.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 8,695 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

^

I liked the $70 Rislone story. I had not heard of that product.

Rislone has been around for decades, didn't know they were still in business though. As kids we used various Rislone products to "fix" our cars.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

If you're ever offered a "too good to be true" price on a used car, you might want to peek under the radiator cap to see any telltale signs of recently-added sparkly copper additive.

Meanwhile:

Why The ‘Check Engine’ Light Must Be Banned

the state of things now is that your car actually could do more than just throw an error code at consumers. It contains an advanced system to diagnose itself, but the actual information from that diagnosis is not available to the car's owner; the average owner must pay a dealer or mechanic to provide him or her with the codes, and what those codes mean. This is absurd.

#31 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

check engine light ?? banned?? no way .. my 95 turbo diesel GMC truck engine light came on on the highway .. near cobble hill .. the brunt spot at Bill Motherwell's sign is where it went up in flames ..if the light had not come on I would have been driveing a fire ball it is just a warning light ..and you can get the codes if you check a manual .....we all agree stay away from scotia repairs ..they give NAPA a bad name ..

#32 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,242 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Rislone has been around for decades, didn't know they were still in business though. As kids we used various Rislone products to "fix" our cars.

I was referring to the "fix your head gasket" product. Most old farts are familiar with the manufacturer. :)

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

check engine light ?? banned?? no way .. my 95 turbo diesel GMC truck engine light came on on the highway .. near cobble hill .. the brunt spot at Bill Motherwell's sign is where it went up in flames ..if the light had not come on I would have been driveing a fire ball it is just a warning light ..and you can get the codes if you check a manual

You missed the point. The light comes on and you don't know if it's deadly serious or a minor faulty sensor. I can't afford to take the car in for service every time the light goes on. And you can't get the codes without some sort of fancy diagnostic tool!

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,540 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

You can get the codes without a computer. It's either chimes or lights that display on the dash and you need a manual to figure out what the combination means. It can be tricky but it is possible.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,005 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

I think it depends on the OBD version. Newer cars with OBDII have a lot more sensors and possible codes. Some will have a wonky combination of button presses that will display the codes in the odometer display, but a some older cars as you say will display the "code" through a series of light flashes, etc..

#36 ijackson57

ijackson57
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hi...I'm new to joining the group but have been reading for some time. I wonder if any of you might be able to recommend someone in Victoria, a qualified mechanic or shop that has some expertise in diagnosing a parasitic car battery drain. A shop I take my car (a 2004 Mustang GT) to regularly couldn't find anything, they ended up just replacing the battery and told me to get one of those solar battery maintainers, which did nothing to help.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
IJ

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

A shop I take my car (a 2004 Mustang GT) to regularly couldn't find anything, they ended up just replacing the battery and told me to get one of those solar battery maintainers, which did nothing to help.

IJ

Are you kidding me? Why didn't they just tell you to disconnect your battery every time you park for the night? Take it to the dealer, or search forums for a known problem.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#38 ijackson57

ijackson57
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks...yeah, can you believe it? They told me I don't drive it enough! But I certainly shouldn't have to drive it every day just to keep the battery going!

I have done a lot of research on line but it's not an easy problem to diagnose, otherwise I'd work on it myself. I've been avoiding the local Ford dealership because I've had a couple of bad experiences there in past, but that might be where I end up.
Thanks again,
IJ

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thanks...yeah, can you believe it? They told me I don't drive it enough! But I certainly shouldn't have to drive it every day just to keep the battery going!

I have done a lot of research on line but it's not an easy problem to diagnose, otherwise I'd work on it myself. I've been avoiding the local Ford dealership because I've had a couple of bad experiences there in past, but that might be where I end up.
Thanks again,
IJ

Maybe an auto-electric place, they might be able to diagnose it circuit by circuit...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

I know a guy with one of those big honking Dodge pickups with the same problem. Canadian Tire replaced the battery but when that one died he knew it was some sort of drain even though Wille Dodge's mechanics couldn't track it down. After a lot of back and forth he gave up and traded it in for a new model that was better on gas anyway. Apparently even if your accessories are all turned off the power can drain through a wire's contact with metal I'm told.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users